• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral Vortex 223: "Now Available" per Chap website

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love the fact that it's Chaparral. For no other reason than the biggest amount of anti-jetboat butthurt I've ever seen in one place was on a Chaparral forum.

:D

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haha. I think I've seen the same or similar thread over there in my travels. Back when they announced that Chaparral would be entering the market, there was a mega-thread on one of their forums bashing jetboats.

"It was as if a million sterndrive owners cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced..."

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"Rabble rabble rabble JET BOATS rabble rabble JUST A BIG JET SKI rabble rabble REAL BOAT rabble rabble..."

I just went there and did a search for Vortex. LOL, it was just as I imagined! People sending emails to Chapparal HQ begging them to reconsider and everything!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if the Chap guys will shy away from their jet brothers? I know us Scarab guys get a ton of shit from the Scarab offshore guys........until they see it close and personal.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just don't understand it. WHO CARES what someone else drives? As long as you can make it to the party cove, what's it matter? The only ones that I get a chuckle out of are the old 70's boats with the tacky brown hull and the bright rainbow decals... but at least they're out on the water.

Personally, I'd love to be able to switch it up between my jet and a pontoon party barge.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't get it, either. How does the propulsion system somehow define the entire boat and make what is otherwise a beamy, high freeboard, Deep V boat suddenly become "nothing but an overgrown jet ski"? People are crazy.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Don't Fear The Future..."

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If these Chaparrals had cleanout access, I'd probably give them a serious look. The lack of a way to clear the pumps while in the water is really a non-starter for me.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Has anyone seen a 203 VR/VRX out yet? From what I've seen the 203 Vortex VRX is priced a couple thousand more than Scarabs 195 HO Impulse. I would think the 223 would be the same relation to the 215 HO Impulse.

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know.....I went through all that BS back in "04 when I went and bought the Yamaha. All my motorhead buddies were laughing at the boat with motorcycle engines, etc.
They were telling me how much I'd regret the purchase and that in a year I'd sell it and buy a Hallett or some other "Real" boat.

At the time I was helping a friend restore an old Schiada GN boat, which was a blast and could peel the skin off your face at half throttle....funny thing is that this particular friend was one of the few who supported my purchase and was one of the first to drive the Yamaha. He had a blast. Recognized it for what it was and what it wasn't.

Then I took some of the guys out and as we were cruising along I simply said, "Hold on very tight". Then I threw it into a full speed spin. One buddy didn't listen. He took a quick trip across the rear bench and was sitting on the other side of the boat when I pulled out of the spin.

Needless to say, they didn't talk smack about the Yamaha anymore. One guy begged me to let him take his girlfriend for a "ride".

So yeah,

Force.jpg

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have followed the Chaparral forum for years. A good forum with a bunch of knowledgeable members. That said, they have spent years thinking highly of the Chaparral boats and considering jetboats to be toys or large jetski's. The moment that Chaparral announced they were getting into the jetboat market they were not happy. At the same time, Chaparral announced they were getting out of the larger cruiser market, so they were twice as upset. In a press release or interview (I can't recall which), Chaparral Executives stated that they wanted to go after the entry level boaters and try to build brand loyalty.....hence the H2O series and the Vortex jetboats. Who knows if they will stick it out. It seems like they have had a hard time coming out of the gates with the 223 and 243......both are hitting the showrooms later than expected. I am very anxious to see the build quality and the pricing though. That said, the lack of cleanout ports is a dealbreaker for me.

I love Chaparral boats. I think they have a great style and they are nice quality, but if you buy a Vortex don't expect a lot of help from the Chaparral owner's forum. IMO, the best thing about owning a Yamaha is that within minutes of posting a question, you have multiple people providing real answers. Lower maintenance costs and less time in the shop.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have followed the Chaparral forum for years. A good forum with a bunch of knowledgeable members. That said, they have spent years thinking highly of the Chaparral boats and considering jetboats to be toys or large jetski's. The moment that Chaparral announced they were getting into the jetboat market they were not happy. At the same time, Chaparral announced they were getting out of the larger cruiser market, so they were twice as upset. In a press release or interview (I can't recall which), Chaparral Executives stated that they wanted to go after the entry level boaters and try to build brand loyalty.....hence the H2O series and the Vortex jetboats. Who knows if they will stick it out. It seems like they have had a hard time coming out of the gates with the 223 and 243......both are hitting the showrooms later than expected. I am very anxious to see the build quality and the pricing though. That said, the lack of cleanout ports is a dealbreaker for me.

I love Chaparral boats. I think they have a great style and they are nice quality, but if you buy a Vortex don't expect a lot of help from the Chaparral owner's forum. IMO, the best thing about owning a Yamaha is that within minutes of posting a question, you have multiple people providing real answers. Lower maintenance costs and less time in the shop.
I think the Chap guys will be able to get help here from the SeaDoo folks while they build their community. Hopefully they build it here but maybe they will get tired of all the Yamaha talk.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the Chap guys will be able to get help here from the SeaDoo folks while they build their community. Hopefully they build it here but maybe they will get tired of all the Yamaha talk.
I suspect the Scarab/Chap/Glastron folks will discover this place and make it home, despite the predominant Yamaha presence. I've searched, and haven't found anywhere else with this much chatter and media about the new boats. It's such a great thing having some of the early adopters share their experiences. I know I'm fired up to buy a new boat as soon as I sort out the tow vehicle situation, and seeing everyone else's reviews and upgrade tutorials have been great. I bet the new Chaparral owners will feel the same.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspect the Scarab/Chap/Glastron folks will discover this place and make it home, despite the predominant Yamaha presence. I've searched, and haven't found anywhere else with this much chatter and media about the new boats. It's such a great thing having some of the early adopters share their experiences. I know I'm fired up to buy a new boat as soon as I sort out the tow vehicle situation, and seeing everyone else's reviews and upgrade tutorials have been great. I bet the new Chaparral owners will feel the same.
I agree. Though the engines and such may be different, issues such as cavitation, etc remain the same and the Yamaha knowledge will transfer well across the brands.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The biggest problem I have discovered is due to frightening IGNORANCE. This might surprise you, but a LOT of Chap DEALERS are NOT ordering their Vortex boat. They have actually told me they are "afraid" of carrying this product. They have heard "horrid stories" about the powerplant being used.

Now this is a shame. It really doesn't do the "jet Boat" industry any good to have dealers saying this, acting this way. And the larger point is that in many markets, the CHAP dealer is the dominent dealer on a particular lake, or boating area.

So, in my case, no one on Lake Oconee sells a jet boat. And as it currently stands, due to poor dealer attitudes and Yamaha's stupid "Georgraphical Territory franchise rights," no one is gonna any time soon sell a jet boat on Lake Oconee.
==> And the majority of boat owners will not buy a boat unless they can get it locally serviced.
I know I am gonna hear a lot of flak about this .. but really, folks ................. In terms of total annual sales, MOST jet boat owners never get on an on-line forum. They just buy and use their boat.
So with this kinda of "
keep your head buried up your a**" attitude, a LOT of dealers are hurting our industry !
Time for me to hush up and go cut my Emerald Zoysia lawn for 4 hours.
Y'all play nicely now.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dealers don't want to sell boats whose winterization process is pretty much revving the engines a few times out of the water after your last trip of the season. They'd lose too many $300+ winterization service invoices.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We want all types of jet boat owners here. So if you see owners not finding answers to their questions on other forums please point them this way!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dealers don't want to sell boats whose winterization process is pretty much revving the engines a few times out of the water after your last trip of the season. They'd lose too many $300+ winterization service invoices.
My SeaDoo waverunner engine needs coolant run through it. Not sure if that changes with the engines in their boats. Besides most Yamaha dealers will still sell you a winterization you don't need. :mad: