• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chart Plotter/Fish Finder

Mark Miller

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm looking to add a Chart Plotter/Fish Finder unit to my 2014 212SS, anyone have any insight? I'd like to mount one near or above the dash, space is a concern. I'm not sure what manufacturer, or unit to purchase. Garmin makes a compact 4 inch unit, and, then, what mount to use....?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, I was going to say, find what you want and go for it. Space is a concern as is the mount. There are plenty of leads on here to get play by play on the install. I bought a 7" Garmin echomap 70S touchscreen! I had a 4" Garmin 431S in the 230 and it was cumbersome to use...the touchscreen isn't available smaller I don't think, so I will just live with the fact it isn't out of the way as much. But it still works and I am getting ready to install it. So I will have some pics, but it won't be exact as you have an older 21'. You can see my install on the 230 over at the other place if you like.
http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26687&hilit=+gps+install
If I wasn't banned there, I would have copied it to this forum. Any pics or questions, feel free to ask. It is pretty straight forward, and my 230 install was just about what you will do in the 21'. Good luck!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I don't have a 212...but I am going with a raymarine dragonfly 7.

I am going to use ram mounts and simply suction cup mount it to the windshield (easy removal).

I like the dragonfly as you can use the mount from underneath or on top of the unit. I have priced out the ram mounts at at or under $100. Those mounts are oversized based on the weight, so it should hold nicely and provide a quick release and no holes required for mounting.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jon, those (the first one I clicked to see price, $599) appear to be the same price I paid for my Garmin echo map 70S, 7" wide touchscreen. I paid a little less for it with US inland charts and transducer, although I just spent another $100 for a thru hull transducer. I wanted the touchscreen capability. Using the buttons is a PIA and searching through menus to get where you want is cumbersome without touchscreen. I would have gone 5" if touchscreen were available on it.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r I hear you. I liked the 5" screen footprint and mine came with contourXD maps loaded on it free. Also, the resolution of that humminbird is better than their current models in the same footprint. they went slightly cheaper with their displays. Lots of good solutions out there. I have never had too much trouble working the buttons on mine. Nevertheless, you have a sweet unit. I got the 788 Max Depth for only $499 with the contour XD maps from the closeout shop. I don't care for side imaging or down imaging. I like the standard dualbeam switchfire models.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You may have missed the panic to @utahrd , I sold my boat a year ago last August for lack of use or expected lack of use. I lasted only a few months realizing I was going to miss having one completely. So I went on the search and found a brand new leftover 2012 SX240 last spring. I have slowly been trying to get the mods done to bring it back to the level I had on the Nauti Dawg. A great couple, @Suchawittygal and @DawgDaze , from Lake Elsinor in California traveled to Texas and bought the dawg. I have many components to get installed, but haven't completed many of them to get it done yet. I still have to finish the stereo upgrade and the chart plotter. Then I can start on the lighting...see what you miss when your offline! lol