• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chartplotter recommendations

klogeman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The speedo on my 09 232 Limited doesn't work and my depth finder gives me odd readings so i think i'm going to go with a chartplotter. Hoping to find a good deal during the holidays. What do you have and what do you like/dislike about it? Haven't decided on brand or model yet but would like to be 9" screen and cost less than $1,000.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Watch Bass Pro and other sites for sales. I got my Echomap 93sv for $350 off in Nov '21, and they offered the same deep discount at about this same time last year.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The speedo on my 09 232 Limited doesn't work and my depth finder gives me odd readings so i think i'm going to go with a chartplotter. Hoping to find a good deal during the holidays. What do you have and what do you like/dislike about it? Haven't decided on brand or model yet but would like to be 9" screen and cost less than $1,000.
Here is the link to what I installed on my 09 AR230. Very happy with it.

klogeman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any issues with the suction cup? i hit some pretty choppy water, curious how well it holds.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It held all the way to Bimini in 2021 while we took a complete beating. The u bolt helps hold it from moving along with the suction cup.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't think brands matter...they're all pretty good and many use the Navionics data. What you need to do is find out what you need from it and find one that is priced right. For me it was the Raymarine Axiom 7 which was easier to find and on sale in the fall during covid, and the 7" screen matched nicely with the 7" Connext for a stock look.

If you want to see how it'll look, you can go to the Navionics online web app chart viewer which shows you pretty much what you will see on the plotter, for instance Haulover Inlet area:

klogeman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think brands matter...they're all pretty good and many use the Navionics data. What you need to do is find out what you need from it and find one that is priced right. For me it was the Raymarine Axiom 7 which was easier to find and on sale in the fall during covid, and the 7" screen matched nicely with the 7" Connext for a stock look.

If you want to see how it'll look, you can go to the Navionics online web app chart viewer which shows you pretty much what you will see on the plotter, for instance Haulover Inlet area:

i agree they are all pretty good but i was curious if a touchscreen was better than buttons? or if the UI was easier on some brands than others. i read that some people were using iPads or tablets with the Navionics app but i also need a depthfinder so that option is out for me. Can you find a chartplotter only, without the sonar? If so are they cheaper than the combo units?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
i agree they are all pretty good but i was curious if a touchscreen was better than buttons?
I think that's a personal preference of the user. Sometimes buttons can be quicker, but I prefer the look of a full touchscreen device. It also matches my Connext screen which is button-free.
or if the UI was easier on some brands than others.
Again this can be subjective and depends on the user. If you have an outdoors store nearby where you can see actual demos and interact with them, you may find a preference. I've used several and find while different, I think they're all fairly similar in function. I think the Simrad and Raymarine have a few more optional features for greater "one screen" interfacing, but for general charting and such, I don't think it matters.
i read that some people were using iPads or tablets with the Navionics app but i also need a depthfinder so that option is out for me. Can you find a chartplotter only, without the sonar? If so are they cheaper than the combo units?
Yes you can get just the chartplotter as I did and save a hundred bucks or so, but if you want actual live depth readings under your boat you need the sonar attachment. The depth readings shown on the charts are lowest estimated water level readings from hydrograph data and while very helpful in helping you find safe waters, they do not reflect actual depth under your hull during various times of the year. The live sonar data will do that.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can also buy a GPS speedometer to replace the OEM one for a decent look. I bought this one and it's pretty nice.

Nothing wrong with getting a chart plotter, but the Speedometer is not bad at all.

dreinertuwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I just ordered the Raymarine Axiom+ 7; it just arrived and also came with the RV-100 3Dtransducer. I thought it was a pricing error at $650 as this specific one is significantly less expensive than the same model with a different mapping software on their site and hundreds less than elsewhere. I didn’t know if they’d fulfill the order but it arrived as listed with everything and that was 1.5weeks ago. I haven’t installed it yet but I’ll verify fitment options tomorrow on my 2021 252s.

It has an SD card slot so you can change map software if there’s a brand/format you like more.

Last edited:

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered the Raymarine Axiom+ 7; it just arrived and also came with the RV-100 3Dtransducer. I thought it was a pricing error at $650 as this specific one is significantly less expensive than the same model with a different mapping software on their site and hundreds less than elsewhere. I didn’t know if they’d fulfill the order but it arrived as listed with everything and that was 1.5weeks ago. I haven’t installed it yet but I’ll verify figment options tomorrow on my 2021 252s.

It has an SD card slot so you can change map software if there’s a brand/format you like more.

I’m curious to hear where you mount the transducer and if it works correctly after install.

klogeman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everybody for the comments. Ended up getting a Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv with transducer for $575. Planning on removing the old speedo pitot mount and putting the transducer there. The chart plotter is going to cover my fuel gauge so now I’m looking for an NMEA adaptor to get fuel readings on the Garmin. Anybody done that already? Was it difficult?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can also buy a GPS speedometer to replace the OEM one for a decent look. I bought this one and it's pretty nice.

Nothing wrong with getting a chart plotter, but the Speedometer is not bad at all.

I've had mine for 5 years or so and is been flawless... i got the 4" euro...

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered the Raymarine Axiom+ 7; it just arrived and also came with the RV-100 3Dtransducer. I thought it was a pricing error at $650 as this specific one is significantly less expensive than the same model with a different mapping software on their site and hundreds less than elsewhere. I didn’t know if they’d fulfill the order but it arrived as listed with everything and that was 1.5weeks ago. I haven’t installed it yet but I’ll verify fitment options tomorrow on my 2021 252s.

Did you install this yet on your 252?

dreinertuwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
No I didn’t. I’m in Wisconsin so my season is over for the year and I’ll likely get installed in the spring. I did take a closer look and the rudder is more in the way in that area than I expected and I can see when it could contribute to bubbles around the transducer while turning.The transducer is giant.

I’ll post updates once I have them either way.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everybody for the comments. Ended up getting a Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv with transducer for $575. Planning on removing the old speedo pitot mount and putting the transducer there. The chart plotter is going to cover my fuel gauge so now I’m looking for an NMEA adaptor to get fuel readings on the Garmin. Anybody done that already? Was it difficult?
Pretty sure Yamaha won't integrate NMEA and isn't compatible. Thoght there was a thread were someone came close on something though. It would be awesome if it would work.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Pretty sure Yamaha won't integrate NMEA and isn't compatible. Thoght there was a thread were someone came close on something though. It would be awesome if it would work.
@klogeman I concur...no one (that we know of) has been able to decode the modified NMEA protocols that Yamaha uses on their jet powered boats and skis. They use an NMEA 2k link for communication, but the data is not standard NMEA protocols so no MFD will be able to use the data. Too bad...I'd like to be able to monitor a few things the Connext doesn't do that NMEA could be carrying.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
May I please ask where you got that deal? I have seen that model as low as $649, which is an amazing buy, since MSRP was around $999. In our region, guys are snapping up the UHD93SV for ice fishing. Scheels, Bass Pro, Cabelas, West Marine, GPS Store are all discounted to $649 with transducer. I hope to buy this model January 1 with a full LiveScope setup, now that this tech is coming down in price. (fun money budget renews on Jan 1)

As far as NMEA, even though the Yamaha Waverunner engine data is proprietary, you may get info from the gauges as far as fuel etc, and the radio. But as others mentioned, no engine data. I'm not sure if Yamah separated the boat status info like fuel. It would be safe to assume it's all proprietary.

Good luck!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of the deals have different transducers. They package different transducers some better and some not as good, that is how some of the deals get a lower price. Check which transducer is coming with it. Top of line is the GT56UHD. But research the transducers, to make sure it does what you want.

Transducers for Boats | Thru-hull & In-hull | Garmin

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Some of the deals have different transducers. They package different transducers some better and some not as good, that is how some of the deals get a lower price. Check which transducer is coming with it. Top of line is the GT56UHD. But research the transducers, to make sure it does what you want.

Transducers for Boats | Thru-hull & In-hull | Garmin
Very true. I have noticed with or without transducer, with or without the 56 or the 54 transducer, and with inland maps or coastal maps. Lots of moving parts in these setups. For the OP's purposes, the type of maps for their region will be more important.

My much larger expense will be the Livescope setup. And thus the reason so many are hitting used on the market as that just got upgraded as well. I'm all for buying the older version livescope, but want the newer transducer, as I don't think that is changing the price too much. But I bet you are right on the sub $600 version. That may have been the old model 'ducer.

I was in Scheels last night oohing and aaahing over the new tech. They were cleaned out of the 93sv. But the buzz on a Tuesday night of ice fisherman was electric. I spent way more on ice gear than I should have. Way too much fun!

BTW, the new Scheels Outfitter reels in Ice Blue are pretty damn sexy

Scheels reel.jpg