• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check out these Red heads

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow they look even better installed great job man

Bothomas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those look great! You did a lot of soundproofing too I see! Very nice!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow..thanks for posting...Great Job! I think I'll do mine in blue. Really nice soundproofing..where did you get it?

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks good - nice job!

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Pulled my covers off yesterday and stopped by Home Depot for some red spray paint. Totally stealing this idea. Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pulled my covers off yesterday and stopped by Home Depot for some red spray paint. Totally stealing this idea. Thanks!
Cool, don’t forget the sharpies.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow..thanks for posting...Great Job! I think I'll do mine in blue. Really nice soundproofing..where did you get it?
I will try to summarize so I don’t detract from this thread. I bought the materials at McMaster Carr (I.e., 2” thick foam with a foil backing + 3” foam on top of the 2” material mounted to the forward bulk head/wall of the engine compartment and the bottom of the engine hatch). Total cost was under $300 I think, but it took an entire weekend or more to measure, make paper templates, cut the material and install it all around the existing hardware. Here are a few pics I took today. Some of the material is loose because I’m currently installing a new stereo system.
1CB92784-659C-4945-91FB-26EEB54AF98D.jpeg8B7DB441-9D01-47BE-9B58-77570F8C2278.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

whiten

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will try to summarize so I don’t detract from this thread. I bought the materials at McMaster Carr (I.e., 2” thick foam with a foil backing + 3” foam on top of the 2” material mounted to the forward bulk head/wall of the engine compartment and the bottom of the engine hatch). Total cost was under $300 I think, but it took an entire weekend or more to measure, make paper templates, cut the material and install it all around the existing hardware. Here are a few pics I took today. Some of the material is loose because I’m currently installing a new stereo system.
View attachment 114912View attachment 114913
Ronnie -

Overall, how was the soundproofing results...? This is my next big project on the boat but want to ensure that it'll drop the decibels down a considerable amount (min of 10-15)...

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie -

Overall, how was the soundproofing results...? This is my next big project on the boat but want to ensure that it'll drop the decibels down a considerable amount (min of 10-15)...
I second this request

The "is it worth it?" question!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Honestly, I don’t know how effective the sound proofing/absorbing project is anymore. It’s been installed for years. I do remember taking a bunch of before and after decibel readings at different rpms and having a hard time interpreting the data. That is, at some rpm ranges the sound decreased and others it increased or stayed the same. I also recall the change in decibels was nowhere near 10 or 15 decibels more like 3 to 5 but I the scale is logarithmic so 1 point is a lot larger than a 1:1 based scale. By analogy the logarithmic scale is like apples to watermelons. This is Not a very articulate explanation so I hope you understand what I mean. Finally it took a lot of time and a few hundred dollars to do this project. Would I do it again? Yes but with lower expectations and possibly more out of boredom instead of need or want/desire.