• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
there is a first time for everything ........ @Mainah

I wonder what the laws of physics will dictate in this situation. Thinking if it will be one Newton's laws about momentum and caring over or if it will be a Darwin Law ....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That submerged stuff is what makes me nervous. High water is something we can deal with. Hitting a submerged mature oak that broke away from the shore at 30 mph is a whole different story. I am in but the submerged stuff may make me more nervous than coming back up underneath a raft in 11,000 cfs narrow gorge class 5 rapids after getting thrown in the air by a hole named Maytag that has claimed lives. What I can’t see under the water does scare me a bit but with less excitement than jumping out of a plane blindfolded.
You the guy with the stache? :cool:

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
there is a first time for everything ........ @Mainah

I wonder what the laws of physics will dictate in this situation. Thinking if it will be one Newton's laws about momentum and caring over or if it will be a Darwin Law ....
Funny how my pucker factor has changed overtime. In my late teens and early 20s I am pretty sure I did not have one. Thinking back I am amazed darwin did not prevail. Now with a family and a good life I know I have a increasing pucker factor. Those younger days sure were fun! Now I just have the memories and trips like this to remind me of how great a life I am living.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To me this continuous rain is the most annoying issue.
If there is no break I’ll be packing wet, and I hate it.
This is now moving in, fanning out north-eastwardly. :confused:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not looking great right now.

74232F53-73AC-4FB4-9428-52624F852724.png9960E837-BF2F-4BED-A2BB-D342D0ACE040.pngA05F0120-E4B7-4007-8715-F94614C74B5C.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, @Mainah, that is a long warning post! lol

Seriously though, the flash flooding (or rising water) in a river is what I don't like - for first few hours/first day or two.
I've learned to wait (if I can) two-three days after a crest, then most of the floating crap is gone, the river is usually safe when it comes down even if it is still very high.
Basically, it's the rising level (and picking up debris) that's not great, a flood stage per se is not necessarily ominous. If the water is coming down, not up.

Oh well. We have @Betik for the backup which is priceless here, and we know we can probably pull the boat even without a ramp in the middle of nowhere IL, if needed.

--

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
this is either going to be " awesome adventure" or " what were you thinking" kind of a trip.
@robert843 Going to need to see some video documentation, for sure. :)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nickp98 if you are still planning the run, Alton may not be an option anymore. Getting the boat out of the water over there would be possible but getting there is going to be tricky as Grafton just stopped dispensing fuel today. They are bracing for another 5ft of water and they are already in trouble.
Here is what I figured out so far:
The ski locker can take six 5gal jugs, I have a partially air inflated ballast bag securing the load up front.
I have two more jugs in wet comps, will need to secure those with bumpers and ratchets.
That's about it, might extend our range to 120-150miles? depending on conditions.

Here are some pics from today, add 4-6ft of water on top of it by Sun...
Grafton Oyster Bar parking lot

Grafton ramp (by the light house)...

We will probably pull out off on a regular street if we get to Grafton or Alton. Those become "ramps" essentially. Learned this from locals here, it works okay.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski do we need to start calling locks tomorrow to make sure they all plan to be open?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski do we need to start calling locks tomorrow to make sure they all plan to be open?
Yep. Chicago lock is on a timed schedule, should be fine.
Not taking O'Brien.
Peoria and LaGrange are "open" as those a wicket type and we will float over if we get that far.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind, the really bad part is Mississippi, so down from Illinois/Mississippi confluence things will be bad this weekend, past Grafton, IL.
Illinois river should be getting better.

--

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is going to be a bad idea to go, everything is majorly flooded, I would reschedule the trip for a later date where you will actually enjoy it.
But it's your trip, you decided. Just my 2 cents.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is going to be a bad idea to go, everything is majorly flooded, I would reschedule the trip for a later date where you will actually enjoy it.
But it's your trip, you decided. Just my 2 cents.
I hear you.
We may or may not proceed very far depending on conditions prevailing. Hopefully this will not end up being a cold Lake Michigan cruise, but anything is possible at this point.

The two things I see and hear (River Bills and the locals talking) are - the river is beautiful, and everyone is amazed there is very little debris.

Both can change, of course.
Frankly, without @Betik’s commitment to follow along as a chase driver the trip would most likely be off.