• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alton will be under water, almost historic flooding going on. I dont know if you will be able to acess any ramps

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have surfed the Mississippi river in very high flood stages so I am a little crazy...... but ( and with all due respect ) you all are VERY CRAZY. No way in hell I would be out there right now.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Historic crests. This would take the #5 spot.

flood.png

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
See I would argue that these water levels make it more memorable.

Dang kids end of season ball tournaments this weekend :/

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Nickp98 if you are still planning the run, Alton may not be an option anymore. Getting the boat out of the water over there would be possible but getting there is going to be tricky as Grafton just stopped dispensing fuel today. They are bracing for another 5ft of water and they are already in trouble.
Here is what I figured out so far:
The ski locker can take six 5gal jugs, I have a partially air inflated ballast bag securing the load up front.
I have two more jugs in wet comps, will need to secure those with bumpers and ratchets.
That's about it, might extend our range to 120-150miles? depending on conditions.
View attachment 93151
View attachment 93152
View attachment 93153

Here are some pics from today, add 4-6ft of water on top of it by Sun...
Grafton Oyster Bar parking lot
View attachment 93154
View attachment 93156

Grafton ramp (by the light house)...
View attachment 93155

We will probably pull out off on a regular street if we get to Grafton or Alton. Those become "ramps" essentially. Learned this from locals here, it works okay.

--
Do you worry about fume build up?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. I’ve been checking through the night, with outside temps kind of low there is no issues.In the boat, I could not smell anything under the cover. Inside the truck I could smell gas and had to keep windows open but some of the new ones I have not used before leaked - i would not want to be doing this on a regular basis.

I checked all the cans for leaks at the spout and the vent, glad I did as 5 out of 8 had some leakage, and needed to be reset and resealed.

Hope this going not to be an issue.
Ski locker is not sealed. The jugs are secured about as tight as can be.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have seen channel markers go underwater for 20-30 minutes at a time and then pop up for a quick 10 seconds then go back under. Guessing where these are is not a game I would like to play.

This will defiantly be a trip to talk about for a life time after it is done. There will be some " character building" going on...LOL

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, as far as fuel management this trip is kind of a “dress rehearsal” for us. Our Lake Powell trip later this summer will not enjoy the benefit of having a chase vehicle/ground support crew following us. So, I'm curious about pushing the real life range.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen channel markers go underwater for 20-30 minutes at a time and then pop up for a quick 10 seconds then go back under. Guessing where these are is not a game I would like to play.

This will defiantly be a trip to talk about for a life time after it is done. There will be some " character building" going on...LOL
Apparently, USACE is also planting a new variety of channel markers in some places.
Why are those black?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Apparently, USACE is also planting a new variety of channel markers in some places.
Why are those black?
View attachment 93182

If we run into one of those you won’t need to worry about recovering from an injury as even dental records won’t be enough to identify who is who.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When you guys get close to St.louis I want to try and meet up if at all possible. I would have an hour and a half drive to get there so I would need some notice.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
there is something fundamentally wrong with all of us, but I see that more like a asset rather than deterrent

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
there is something fundamentally wrong with all of us, but I see that more like a asset rather than deterrent
What can I say. We have the trip timing thing figured out real well...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those interested in follow along here is my inreach tracking link it should go live early Saturday morning.

Great Loop Chicago

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was hoping we would have a 24hr Facebook live feed..

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those interested in follow along here is my inreach tracking link it should go live early Saturday morning.

Great Loop Chicago
Don’t forget to put it in “Hell or High Water” mode.

Or it may not work.
(Just kidding. Kind of.)

Seriously. This is shaping to be once in a lifetime kind of a deal we have been waiting for... !!! Right?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am excited for the trip, folks, and to unplug. With Robert having the delorme set up you all may just have to track us and wait to hear about it next week unless Betik gets bored in the truck. I sure it will be fun reading analysis of the tracking later on.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hope @robert843 Has been doing a prep video for this and will release a YouTube video of this experience as well.

Nickp98

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Ok so it sounds like most of us are still doing this trip, right? Are we planning on stopping in Peoria for the night? I have a chase vehicle following me down but won’t be coming south until Sunday so we will probably have to find a ramp somewhere north of Alton.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so it sounds like most of us are still doing this trip, right? Are we planning on stopping in Peoria for the night? I have a chase vehicle following me down but won’t be coming south until Sunday so we will probably have to find a ramp somewhere north of Alton.
Yes, that's the plan...
When I was on the phone earlier today, the lockmaster at Brandon actually chuckled and then laughed - at the idea someone would want to be on the river. But the locks apparently still are (have been) working.
We may want to switch to a PM/text tomorrow. We have a slip confirmed at Burnham Harbor for tomorrow.

--