• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Clean Corrosion off Rear Jet Drives?

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all - I recently bought a 2011 AR240 and have been going through it to get it all cleaned up, but wanted to know if there was an effective process for cleaning up corrosion off the rear jet drives? Attached is a pic of what I'm currently dealing with. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 143
Some clr perhaps?
you can also use some steel wool and/or sos pads.
then paint them cuz it looks sweet.

Just be advised that using steel wool or sos is just like sanding and will take off the anodization

You could polish them:
IMG_20140405_134859_665.jpg

A little CLR or other type of acid should clean those right up. Watch out for the black plastic bits under the nozzles though as the acid will turn them white.

How do your anodes look?

-3m has aluminum restorer for boat hulls/pontoons
-scotch-brite drill wheel,, then get a headlight restoring power ball and cut polish to a shine.
- or just soda or sandblast and prime with zinc chromate primer and paint it

How you treat them will depend, partially, on where you boat. If you boat in fresh water paint is ok but not in salt. I boat in salt and used a scrubble pad to remove the residue you call corrosion. Post your location on your profile so we have an idea what conditions you are boating in. It will also add you to our member map so you can see who's in your area.

Other options;
You could also remove the drive end and powder coat or color anodize it if you have the cash.
Aircraft painting of aluminum.....industrial products.... use alumi-prep to remove oxidation,, alodine to anodize the aluminum, epoxy primer then paint approved for all conditions including saltwater operations.

@mmgg great info. Do you happen to work in the coating industry?

No but I have owned a lot of aluminum toys, have experience with aircraft painting, powder coating kits, and live in Ontario where they coat the streets in millions of dollars of salt to melt the snow and ice.
We actually spend over $300 per year spraying oil/wax on our vehicles, sealing out salt water so they last more than 10 years.

I like polished aluminum,, so I apply wax once a month and it looks great.,,,,
Anodes are enough to keep corrosion off in fresh water,,, remove them and clean the surface once and a while to make sure the contact is good. (replace when 50% gone)

Back