• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out Plugs In or Out When Not in Use in the Water?

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wonder if temperature and air quality play a substantial role in how to store with plugs. I live in the desert where everything rubber dies! I keep my plug locked with a little water in the tube. I expect to have to replace it eventually.
Good point. Shuck Water mentored keeping them out of the elements when in storage (hot or cold) which I would think factors in. I’m in southern CA so no extreme heat or cold.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We wet slipped for the whole summer; I left the plugs in from the end of June until the end of September for 7 years. I lubed them with silicone grease every spring, and never pulled them except when we pulled the boat out to go somewhere or for the season. They never stuck, but I think I might be the exception. It is a good idea to pull them as often as you think of it to inspect, clean, and lube.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It is a good idea for those in areas where you experience hard cold winters to keep them in a warm place. Water collects on the inside and will freeze. I also recommend disassembling them, empty the water and re-lubricate the internal slide at the end of the season. When the plugs are unlocked all 3 springs are decompressed. I always keep mine that way when not installed in the boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When they are unlocked the small spring that operates the tray that engages the horizontal bar in to the notch of the T handle is COMPRESSED not only is that a bad idea if you leave that tray back in the track and any dirt or sand dries in the track it can prevent the tray from being able to move forward completely, thus inviting a plug blowout.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm...we must have differing plugs because the only time that spring is compressed is when it slides past the angled portion of the plunger shaft. When unlocked or locked that spring is de-compressed on mine. The other two springs are compressed when locked which is why I always leave mine unlocked.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The only way the small tray is all the way forward and the spring not being compressed is if the horizontal pin is in the groove cut into the T handle shaft, if the T handle is up in the unlocked position the groove is NOT in the proper position for the tray to go all the way in.
That spring is very small but it serves a critical function if it fails the plug fails.
Also in that position the track is exposed to allow debris to accumulate and prevent the tray from seating all the way in.
As for the big spring on the T handle it can stay compressed and even if it ever failed , "never ever heard of that happening" But if it did you would not have a plug failure you would just have to pull up on the T handle to release it to pull out the plug. As for the release button spring it is not compressed when resting in either position locked or unlocked.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll keep my twist lock ones....

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC
I can only say that on my 2008 boat the plugs do not operate as you stated. The slide (tray) is all the way against the stop whether in the locked or unlocked position. The slide only moves when it encounters the angled portion of the shaft while it is being depressed. Thus the spring is de-compressed when locked or unlocked.

But having said that I want to congratulate you for developing a simple system which provides a safety against plug blow outs. The EZ-Locks are an aftermarket mod that I recommend all those with "plunger" type plugs to purchase. You have identified a shortcoming in the plug design and have saved me, and others, numerous blow outs. There have been countless times when I have gone to remove EZ-Locks only to find they are 'pinched in' due to the latching system not holding. By pressing the plunger down I can then remove the EZ-Locks. Another confirmation that your system has saved my boat from damage or flooding.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My video explains the push button plug operation, and as I stated they were used from the year 2000 to the year 2016 ,the inner workings are all the same , However if your plugs have ez locks it really makes no difference, unless you forget to install the locks.
As for the people with the applicable clean out plugs, however you choose to lock them or not leave them in or out etc it's your boat. If a plug blows you will be more inclined to pay attention to them or lock them in place to avoid the damage a blowout can cause.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just took one apart again and damn if I was totally incorrect the tray does go forward in the unlocked position on the one I just disassembled so my apologies.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh so true. Way to many times that I can honestly admit... Alrighty crew... time to goooo.... wait, why are we not moving. We are just drifting... oh shoot! The plugs! Run to the back. Hurry! We are approaching some rocks/slip/other boat!

Story of my life. I've got a system now but I'm sure I'll forget it at the start of next season! Lol
Been there , done that....

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We wet slipped for the whole summer; I left the plugs in from the end of June until the end of September for 7 years. I lubed them with silicone grease every spring, and never pulled them except when we pulled the boat out to go somewhere or for the season. They never stuck, but I think I might be the exception. It is a good idea to pull them as often as you think of it to inspect, clean, and lube.
Thanks for the info and sharing your experience!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I am a little lost. I have a 2016 and should I keep my plugs locked but out of the clean out hole?
Good question. Having a 2017 model with different plugs, I don't know the answer to that one.