• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plugs in or out??

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
famous last words haaa

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My plugs were getting progressively harder and harder to remove...I was having to use a rope to get them out. I had never had a blowout and one day I didn't get them seated correct and had a blow-out. My learning point on this was that if the plugs are getting hard to insert and remove, they are speaking...

I then rebuilt the bottom of my plugs and they pop in and out easily now.

My recommendation is to rebuild the plug bottoms now and not have a blowout from a plug you think was seated correctly.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The plugs have the potential of blowing even if they are seated correctly.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have yet to hear of anyone having a blow out after changing to the new bottom seals if seated correctly.

BBastecki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out of curiousity, what damage can be done to the motor if you operated the boat with the plugs out?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When a plug blows out completely it shuts off the engines when it blows open the hatch.
The failure that will get you is when the plug only partially comes loose in the tube allowing your engine compartment to fill with water, that one has destroyed a few engines.
Replacing the bottom of the plug really has nothing to do with the plug unlocking it does help with the plug being installed and removed easier.
Here is a video I made years ago explaining how the internal parts of the clean out plug work and how they can fail.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just get some EZ Locks from Jeff and forget about blowouts.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I check about this as well, looked on youtube for and answer. Seemed to be a personal preference. However, I believe it was "Robs Yamaha jetboat DIY" guy on youtube (but don't hold me to that one) he suggested that you pull them and spray them with a silicone spray once in a while. If they're left in, the tend to swell making it difficult to remove, but you want the gasket to stay pliable so the spray will help with that. Just my 2 cents.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
+1 on the EZ locks, they flat out work.

On a similar note, is it normal for the plugs to take on some water? I left mine out the past couple weeks, and they actually sloshed with water? I set them upside down to allow them to drain. They do go in and out fairly easily, and I do spray with silicone once/week after use.

Thanks everyone.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have rebuilt mine and later had a thwarted blow out... The ez lock was stuck on. Had to re press the handle and it locked back in.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat manual says to leave the push button release cleanout plugs aka "manhole covers" in. it is probably not a good idea. I followed the manual leaving them in but added pool lube to attempt to stop the plug o ring swelling and seizing in place

This is my story:

When I lef the cleanout plug in place in a wet slip on year 1 in a clean lake, had no issues, plug went in and out fine, never had to use to clean weeds, but checked it ever outing anyway.

On year 2 in wet slip using pool lube on a much dirtier very weedy lake, I used cleanou plug to pull large amonts of weeds out of the tube more times than I would have liked from this infested lake. Eventually tiny chopped up pieces of weeds jammed themselves between the flat o ring bottom and the plug, flaring the bottom of the o ring and preventing the plug from going back in! After cleaning some nasty growth out of the clean out tube and removing chopped up weeds out of the o ring, luckily things went back in place although with mild difficulty after 15 min of cussing while wiggling the plug around to make sure it could survive the three tug test to hopefully prevent a blowout from the plug o ring not seating properly.

Need to work on the reverse clean out move, but luckily didn't have to use the ice trick.

Back at the dock I pulled the clean but still swollen plug again, it did not go in easily, so I reapplied the pool lube, shrinking the gasket o ring, and the clean out plug went back in and out very easily.

The pool lube I have been using is Lubegard 75200 Zer0 Pool and Spa lubricant. Purchased from Amazon. Mentioned it before in some quasi related post.

Evidently it seems to last about 2 months in this boat clean out plug o ring application. They claim it repels dirt and upon application I can see that it does. Not sure where the grime goes and not sure how long that property lasts.

In summary, the clean out plug system as described above may not be maintainable in a dirty environment if simply following strict manual guidance. Pool lube should probably be applied regularly at the very least as this cleanout port design seems to be borrowed from the pool industry rather than the recreational boating industry.

I have not left the cleanout plug out for an extended time on the water but can think of no reason off hand why this would not be safe and more effective at keeping the plug o ring gasket cleaner and less swollen.

Personally I find it amazing that this style of cleanout plug functions as well as it does when it is clean. I have yet to mess with the tiny parts inside the plug or the small metal tabs holding it in place, but from seeing what mayhem can be caused by just a few bits of weeds and pond scum can do in the tube and on the bottom of the plug, a secondary EZ Lock for the tiny submerged parts mid plug sure is starting to look like a good idea.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a secondary EZ Lock for the tiny submerged parts mid plug sure is starting to look like a good idea.
I would say: EZ lock is a no brainer.
I've been using 303 AP on the plug seals, which keeps those rejuvenated, wonder if it is similar to the Zer0 lubricant.

--

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never even thought of using 303 AP on o rings. Heard somewhere that's what they used on the space shuttle heat tiles.

Should have used on the Challenger o ring maybe???

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When a plug blows out completely it shuts off the engines when it blows open the hatch.
The failure that will get you is when the plug only partially comes loose in the tube allowing your engine compartment to fill with water, that one has destroyed a few engines.
Replacing the bottom of the plug really has nothing to do with the plug unlocking it does help with the plug being installed and removed easier.
Here is a video I made years ago explaining how the internal parts of the clean out plug work and how they can fail.
Great video. I see that's the previous model release/plug. Have you noticed any issues with the redesign? I'm assuming it was the 2016?