• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean-out Port Knife

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I was poking around West Marine and saw that they have a floating knife, and I thought that it would be a great tool to use if you need to cut rope or debris that is stuck in your impeller. If you drop your knife, it's likely headed to the bottom of the lake/ocean/river as it falls down the clean-out tube and through the grate... right @1948Isaac ??
Here's a link to the knife: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/revere-supply--sabercut-floating-knife--15003411

I prefer a knife that has a folding/locking blade, so I considered modifying mine so that it would float. Any ideas that I had would make it too bulky (like a floating key chain), so a beer later, I thought of this:
upload_2016-3-28_12-25-0.png

This design allows me to let the knife go if I ever get caught in a monkey trap scenario. Back to work now... going to install a snap-on bow cover today, just got a little side tracked with the knife.

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got a rope stuck in my prop in bimini, i try to cut it with other knife but nothing work as good as the knife that @MrMoose had. In a few seconds ....problem solve... After that trip the next day i went to homedepot and got my self one of those milwaukee knifes, and i always keep it on my boat.....

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The best knife I have found is called the "harpy". It is a blade with a hook on the end. I have a mini one with a retrieval string attached to it. Without a decent knife a guy could spend all day digging a rope out. Cam.harpy.jpg

edit: I posted before I saw the pics above. Great minds and all that......

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I carry a 10 Pack of razor blades.. fit in my hand and if I lose one who cares.. theres 9 more and they take up zero space.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I carry a utility knife with normal blades, and carpet hook blades...in addition to the larger folding knife I carry. I don't care what knife it is, it is awkward to get in there and cut away. I like that lanyard @MrMoose ! That is a great idea! It is so awkward and uncomfortable reaching down the cleanout tube and twisting your arm forward to get to the spooled rope sometimes, that anything to keep you from losing your tool if you have to let go is an advantage.