• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out port rubber tubes

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I purchased my AR210 last winter the guy I bought it from handed me the two black tubes that force water to the top of the clean out ports and informed me he had removed them to make access easier. The Yamaha mechanic that inspected it told me it was okay to leave them out but warned me water can obviously fill in the compartment. No issues this year until I inhaled a rope this past weekend. Removed the one plug and water was obviously coming in. Not too fast but I could see the rope was going to need under boat access so I just put plug back in. My ? Is should I put the back in?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I purchased my AR210 last winter the guy I bought it from handed me the two black tubes that force water to the top of the clean out ports and informed me he had removed them to make access easier. The Yamaha mechanic that inspected it told me it was okay to leave them out but warned me water can obviously fill in the compartment. No issues this year until I inhaled a rope this past weekend. Removed the one plug and water was obviously coming in. Not too fast but I could see the rope was going to need under boat access so I just put plug back in. My ? Is should I put the back in?
I would absolutely put them back in. Consider how many gallons per minute your jets can pump. Now imagine all that water being pumped into your bilge. You could flood your boat up to your engines and potentially do real harm very, very quickly.

I am surprised a Yamaha mechanic was not very firm about getting those reinstalled properly before using the boat.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have conflicting thoughts... If the clean out plugs partially dislodge... The tubes won't save you. The pressure is so great the water will overcome the tubes and will fill the boat with an enormous amount of water very quickly. So the tubes won't save you from this. If you are worried that this will happen, you need EZ Locks. They will prevent the plug from blowing out in the first place. This is my recommended mod #0 for our boats.

However, the tubes will ensure the water that normally washes over the transom platform will be directed to fill the tubes until they are full, and any additional water will leave via the tray drain. If the plugs are in good condition, (If not, go ahead and rebuild them) the advantage gained by not having these tubes in is minimal. It is more comfortable to put the plugs in without this tray or tubes in place, but agree with others that it's too big a hole way too close to the water line to be acceptable. This is not cool and needs to be remedied right away.

Putting them back in is probably a 1-2 hour job if you do it slowly. If I had to go out the weekend before I had a chance to put them back in, I would make sure my bilge pump was working perfectly, and I would probably risk it for the ONE weekend... but that's just me. If your boat sinks because of it, this advice was crap, but is what I would have done myself. How lucky do you feel?

So, my humble opinion...you need to put them in as soon as reasonably possible. preferably yesterday.

(My mod #1, after mod#0 EZ Locks, is a bilge float, alarm and extra bilge pump. Different topic, but not so distant. It can turn a mistake or small issue into a non-issue vs a really bad day with a sunk boat.)

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Definitely put them back in. I would almost take them back to the mechanic and let them do it, but I might consider not going back to that mechanic also. When you put them back in, make sure they are secured with large hose clamps. If the plugs blow, they will most likely dislodge in the tubes and can manipulate the shape of the tube, causing it to open up a gap between the tube and the rim they fit around. Those plugs blow with such force that I'm told they used to go right through the seat. Now they're secured with straps to keep them from getting lost. However, without the tubes, no telling what they will hit and damage while ricocheting around. I suspect insurance won't cover anything without the tubes either.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Tubes are there so when at rest, you can pull the clean out plugs without water coming into the boat. The plugs are below the waterline and the tubes will allow water to rise to the static water level, in the tube, when you need to pull the plugs, like when clearing milfoil out, without flooding your boat. That Mechanic gave you bad advise. Definetly put back in and make sure the hose clamps are tight. It is not hard to do, but you will need to pull the clean out tray and reseal with something like a silicone compound, not something permanent, in case you need to get in there again to install trim tabs or a bigger bilge pump. Can you run without them? Sure, but now you know why they are supposed to be there.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree with above...Tubes in, EZ locks in.

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the prompt advice and taking time to write back to my post. I have been on the water 6-7 times this year without them. Will for sure reinstall them before I go out again!! My current plugs are in good shape so all good there.

Hopefully the sucking of my first rope will be my last!

Brian

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Tubes are there so when at rest, you can pull the clean out plugs without water coming into the boat. The plugs are below the waterline and the tubes will allow water to rise to the static water level, in the tube, when you need to pull the plugs, like when clearing milfoil out, without flooding your boat. That Mechanic gave you bad advise. Definetly put back in and make sure the hose clamps are tight. It is not hard to do, but you will need to pull the clean out tray and reseal with something like a silicone compound, not something permanent, in case you need to get in there again to install trim tabs or a bigger bilge pump. Can you run without them? Sure, but now you know why they are supposed to be there.
When you say reseal, so you mean the tubes or the tray?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When you say reseal, so you mean the tubes or the tray?
The tray, no sealant on the tubes, just the big hose clamps top and bottom. To tighten the top ones, just open the round access cover in the tray and tighten clamp that seals tube to tray. I don't have any pics. of my tray, but it should be in the middle.

Edit: per Scott's post below...I stand corrected. Add a marine sealant, to seal the bottom of the tubes.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tray, no sealant on the tubes, just the big hose clamps top and bottom. To tighten the top ones, just open the round access cover in the tray and tighten clamp that seals tube to tray. I don't have any pics. of my tray, but it should be in the middle.
I could certainly be wrong since I'm working and not at my boat (and to lazy to search old threads about plugs), (ok but not to lazy to take a quick look at my manual)

My cleanout tubes have some adhesive on the lower portion (some members, only 1-2, reported the goo overflowed so much their plugs didn't lock securely),

The manual says adhesive should be used on the lower portion,1562338729204.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^that!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, but the guy is off base completely.

Did he also advice to run with the drain plug removed? - because you know, water gets sucked out by the venturi effect anyway...!
:eek:
(Just kidding).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anyone would like to join down this rabbit hole,

looking at my manual I can't find the metal fitting that the cleanout plug dogs lock into, ......

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it fellas! Just finished up reinstalling them which wasn’t too bad. Took about 45 minutes. Just need to run and get a tube of marine sealant to put around the outside of the tubes since I just came in and reed the additional comments.

Have a great weekend 🚣‍♀️!