• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clearing water out of exhaust for inspection

Mrbruin2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys,

So I live in Socal and our local lakes do inspections to be sure the boat is bone dry to try to hold off the quaga/zebra mussel invasions. Last time I went, I hadn't used the boat for a year and upon starting the motors for the inspection in parking lot, a ton of water came out. The guy believed me as rest of boat was dry as a bone and passed me to go for the day. We went to Lake Havasu 2 weeks ago and upon pulling out boat, I revved motors for 3-5 seconds each a few times.

I just went to the boat this morning to turn on and rev again as we are taking my 12 year old and her friends to the lake on Wednesday for her birthday, and a ton of water poured out again. I ended up starting it and revving both motors about 5 separate times over the course of 15 minutes or so, and last few times looked dry.

Is there anything else I can try to do or a better method for ensuring no water comes out when I start it for the inspection? Usually when you get off water the tag it through your eyelet so you can come back, but once you launch somewhere else you break the tag and need to get it resinspected.

Thanks!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mrbruin2k. It is nearly impossible to eliminate ALL water from the exhaust. I had mine out to replace my steering cables a couple of years ago. I turned one muffler upside down to try to drain all the water out but was unsuccessful.

One thing you can try is raise the bow of your boat as high as possible while on the trailer. Initially water will begin dripping from the exhaust outlets. When the water stops dripping then try blowing it out with the engines. You may have to do this several different times. You will not remove ALL the water but when the boat is level you will probably NOT expell any water during your inspection.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The higher the bow the better it will work. Pull it to a steep hill and blow it out there. Rev to 4000+ for 5 seconds, then redline it a couple times for a half second each.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The higher the bow the better it will work. Pull it to a steep hill and blow it out there. Rev to 4000+ for 5 seconds, then redline it a couple times for a half second each.
I agree with dry revving but I don't think I'd be red lining on the hose or off. You may assist the process by blowing 40 - 50 psi of compressed air in the flush port while revving. Make sure you start the engine first before starting the air. Probably need 2 people.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's no load on the engine or water lubricating the pump.

Top Bottom