• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobalt's Website - Sterndrive vs. Jetboat

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that was probably the most biased video I've ever seen. I don't know what the clown was doing at the trailer, but that part made it obvious they were trying to make it worse than it ever could be.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Of course we're a biased lot here, but I do have one itty-bitty question: if jet drives are so bloody bad, then why are Cobalt, Sea Ray, manufacturing them?

and the answer is...because maybe there's a market for them (for everyone but Mercruiser)

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
Speaking of noise this happened today. I talked to my brother and dad at work today. I told them I'm thinking of getting another jet boat. They were like "we hated your boat" yes that's what they said. The noise was unbearable to them. They didn't want to tell me when I owned it, but when i said i wanted to get another one they told me that.

My wife say's the same thing, but the layout and back area were so nice she didn't care.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speaking of noise this happened today. I talked to my brother and dad at work today. I told them I'm thinking of getting another jet boat. They were like "we hated your boat" yes that's what they said. The noise was unbearable to them. They didn't want to tell me when I owned it, but when i said i wanted to get another one they told me that.

My wife say's the same thing, but the layout and back area were so nice she didn't care.
$22 bulb seal from Grainger cut my noise down a ton. My brother rode with me last week for first time since last year. He liked the SeaDek and the stereo mods I had done (over $2000 total between the two, with me providing all the labor.) But he LOVED the bulb seal mod.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$22 bulb seal from Grainger cut my noise down a ton. My brother rode with me last week for first time since last year. He liked the SeaDek and the stereo mods I had done (over $2000 total between the two, with me providing all the labor.) But he LOVED the bulb seal mod.
Can you elaborate on the bulb seal more, or point me in the direction of a thread?

Thanks

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The last thing the guy said was that you have to make your choice on what type of boating you do and what type of boat you want. I guess we all answered that question.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Small point: IF (Key word here, "if") you were/are considering going up in size to a 24-foot boat, and you chose a 2015 Yamaha or later,
you, your Bride, and your Dad and Brother will be most pleasantly surprised.
The 2015 + 24-foot Yamahas produce about 1/2 (Yes ! Half) the noise level you are used to.
VERY VERY nice. Try one out.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA - The last Great Place !

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Volffas check out the faq on it https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-install-sound-insulation-acoustic-block-hatch-seal.37/

I bought what Ronnie used at McMaster carr but I didn't notice any difference,

@GTBRMC can you tell us what size you bought
Sorry I left out some key details. I think I bought it from McMaster-Carr, actually. I have a chunk of it left down in the basement. I will see if I can find the emailed receipt, if not, I will reverse engineer it and post specs/part numbet up on this thread. Likely won't get it done tonight, however.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, found the receipt:

image.jpg
I can take photos of both the extra I have and the install, but that will have to wait until it stops raining.

Note: this does not eliminate noise, but we can talk to each other while under way at speed, where it was difficult to even understand each other when yelling before.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So Cobalt and Regal both feel the need to say how much better they are than a Yamaha. That's why new boats cost $72k.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Advertising doesn't have to be factual. Advertising has to garner attention. It just worked.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha aren't innocent with this competitor bashing way of advertising either.

Its a very poor way of getting your point over and most of us can see right through it anyhow. I remember last year Scarab put a video out too, bashing Yamaha, it was laughable.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looked like me the other other day at Anclote river state park. Hahahahahaha......
I will never go back to that boat ramp ever never ever never again.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Methinks the competition doth protest too much.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha aren't innocent with this competitor bashing way of advertising either.

Its a very poor way of getting your point over and most of us can see right through it anyhow. I remember last year Scarab put a video out too, bashing Yamaha, it was laughable.
What many here seem to miss is this: It seems "outrageous" and unseemingly unbecoming - UNTIL your favorite company does it too !

Let's look at this, what @Britboater reminded us of: Yamaha took on SeaDoo/BRP's new, lower-cost "Spark" offering.
Why ? Because they did not have anything for that market.
And there IS a BIG MARKET for $6000 jet skiis when the buyer is a factory worker, and he can get financing, and take his family out on their own jet ski for $108 a month in payments ! (Actual numbers and stories - not made up - Came from 2 dealers explaining this to me).

NOW who has a lower-cost jet ski ??????????? Why Yamaha, of course.

Funny how the cookie crumbles when the table turns.

I'll repeat myself ........... I thought the Cobalt ADVERTISING from a purely "Market-driven" perspective was a small piece of genius and well done.

My three cents worth, not that world currency markets make my opinion any more important than yesterday.

Y'all play nicely in the sandbox. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ............
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA - The last Great Place !

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not saying it isn't good marketing, like said above every make does it in some way, but this video reminds me of a bad infomercial!