• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobalt's Website - Sterndrive vs. Jetboat

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
"Yup, doesn't look good...very hard to watch." and "Oooh that's gotta hurt, that's gotta hurt!" The comedy starts at :35 second mark. Hopefully Mike's back is okay after that jarring ride in the Yamaha. :finger:
Good gawd man!! Who's insane 'nuff to be boating in conditions like that !! And at breakneck speeds to boot !!! Hell in a handbasket i say. !!!

Pete needs a penis...

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I watched part of the first vid then clicked out after the shallow water demo. Now I have to see if they trailered worse than my wife her first time. Which she did 100 percent better the second time.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow...OMGLMAO. My other neighbor at the marina has a brand new 24' Cobalt R3. Pretty boat until that precise steering from the sterndrive caused him to run into a dock or something enough to need some major gel coat repair on the bow of his $80k boat. The two Yamaha's not a scratch. Can not see damage in shot, but believe me it is there.0916161621.jpg

Last edited:

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'll confess our 190FSH is a bit noisier than I would like but, our friend's 4cyl Mercruiser stern drive is quite noisy as well. And the loud clunk with every shift to forward or reverse sounds like it's about to self destruct. My cousin's 225 Seahunt with 250hp Yamaha outboard is the quietest boat I've been on at any speed and gear shifts are almost inaudible. If I ever upgrade in size, it'll be something along those lines.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
... My cousin's 225 Seahunt with 250hp Yamaha outboard is the quietest boat I've been on at any speed and gear shifts are almost inaudible. If I ever upgrade in size, it'll be something along those lines.
I think that is the most frustrating part about the noise of our boats. The fact that Yamaha makes such impressively quiet/smooth outboards.
The know-how exists in the company...

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't hear them mention the safety of a stern drive. Maybe because they too have been in the emergency room and saw someone split all the way down the sternum from a prop. Not pretty.
The safety of a jet outweighs all of the little advantages of a sterndrive, in my opinion.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I like the protection from debris illustration. The stern drive boat times the trim perfectly to avoid hitting bottom. In real life that prop is hitting rocks or a tree stump and needing replaced!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the protection from debris illustration. The stern drive boat times the trim perfectly to avoid hitting bottom. In real life that prop is hitting rocks or a tree stump and needing replaced!
You also notice on the rough water he is either trimmed up or not on plane. Put both boats side by side at the same speed and you will see a difference but not that much

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The stern drive was clearly going WAY slower then the Yamaha. Plow the Yamaha and you will get the same ride.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Let me just put this here.