• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Fins - Becareful!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So let me start by saying I'm not holding cobra fins responsible for this accident, just wanted to post so others may avoid this accident. I think this was a fluke thing but obviously it's possible.

We were pushing off and my buddy was at the stern giving me the push, the rear deck was about at his belly button before he hoped up on the swim platform. In his motion, he somehow managed to hit his knee perfectly on the edge of the fin and as you can see split it right open. Multiple internal and external stitches required but he'll be fine.

I'm thinking of trying to round the edges of the fins to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 119
NOT going to turn this into a bash. (but I'm sure it will be taken that way) However, it is one of the reasons I got away from them and went with the (IMHO) safer option of Thrust Vectors.

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks. I am having a hard time understanding how that happened. On my 2011 SX210, I would have to really, really try to reach my fins with my knees while standing at the stern.

Wow, that sucks. I am having a hard time understanding how that happened. On my 2011 SX210, I would have to really, really try to reach my fins with my knees while standing at the stern.
You and me both, but somehow when he jump/lifted himself up he slammed his knee in to the fin. I've never thought twice about it but the edges are rather sharp. Like I said earlier, I'm going to attempt to round them a little bit.

I have cobra's on my boat (switched out the TV-XLs this year) and like the poster above think it'd be hard to hit either fin set-up if standing in waste deep water (as the bottom of the fins would likely be about in ankle-deep water).

I'd think it's more-likely he hit a portion of the nozzle (reverse bucket, steering knuckle, etc) or even the swim ladder coming up.

regardless, that's a good thing to note of so it doesn't happen in the future.

I would think that the fins are a little too low also. Maybe it was the reverse cable mount on top of the reverse hood?

No, it was def the fins he said. He a bit of a boater himself so he knows what he's looking at. The depth may have been a little more than his belly button. Remember to jump up he'd have to bend his knee a little bit too.

The ends of the swim ladder are pretty vicious if the caps are missing.

Good thing you didnt have a prop back there!!!

So let me start by saying I'm not holding cobra fins responsible for this accident, just wanted to post so others may avoid this accident. I think this was a fluke thing but obviously it's possible.

We were pushing off and my buddy was at the stern giving me the push, the rear deck was about at his belly button before he hoped up on the swim platform. In his motion, he somehow managed to hit his knee perfectly on the edge of the fin and as you can see split it right open. Multiple internal and external stitches required but he'll be fine.

I'm thinking of trying to round the edges of the fins to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

That's a proper wound! Chicks dig scars..... ;)

Back