• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra fins on our '18 242x and new top speed

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys, is there a video or a detailed step by step (hopefully with pictures) of how to adjist the SP angle? I have the 242x but we don’t surf, and would mich rather the the benefit fo the exta MPH, control, etc.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
1 center the travel on your steering wheel

2 disconnect the steering cable/clavicle from the right side of both buckets

3 get a long straight edge - I used a 1x2 board, others use a 4’ level and hold it across the back of both buckets. When the surfaces touch evenly across both buckets on the flat edge, you are straight.

4 hold that position. I used clamps to secure the board to the buckets. Adjust the tie rod to the articulating keel so that it is now straight. It should be off center now, since the bucket is straight.

5 adjust the steering cable/clavicle and reattach to each bucket. Be sure to reuse the white plastic bushings - don’t lose them

6 done

If you were going to buy the Cobra fins, Jeff will send directions as well. And you will also install the 2nd tie rod that goes from the keel to the port side bucket at step 4.

that’s the gist of it from memory. Others may have more details to add. Remember to do #1. I got all done and my steering travel was all screwed up. I could turn right for days, but left just barely went because the wheel was off center when I started.

Last edited:

Pkstr242X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just ordered my Cobra's for my 2020 242X and asked Jeff about the Surf Point on the jets. I am going to take his advice and balance them out prior to install. I will post pics when done!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes he is a good guy to talk with and has a lot of good info.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just ordered my Cobra's for my 2020 242X and asked Jeff about the Surf Point on the jets. I am going to take his advice and balance them out prior to install. I will post pics when done!
let me know how hard or easy that is. I’ma little nervous to do that.. not sure surfpoint is really helpful and wondering how the cobra helps clean the wave.. Also wonder if my wake wedge and cobra would Be better together?

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I straightened my nozzles (for thrust vectors wake, not cobras) and I will be returning them to surf pointe angles or at least close.

I did not notice any (measurable) extra speed or efficiency on the straightened nozzles.

The straightened nozzles blow the jet right through the wave face, ruining the wave unless you put on a pretty tight constant turn.

The port cable only has a few threads holding on after you straighten the nozzle all the way, makes me uneasy.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I straightened my nozzles (for thrust vectors wake, not cobras) and I will be returning them to surf pointe angles or at least close.

I did not notice any (measurable) extra speed or efficiency on the straightened nozzles.

The straightened nozzles blow the jet right through the wave face, ruining the wave unless you put on a pretty tight constant turn.

The port cable only has a few threads holding on after you straighten the nozzle all the way, makes me uneasy.
If you have any kind of fin on your boat and said boat has Surefpoint the fin will not be cutting though the water. It will be dragging at a funky angle. This will add spray behind the boat. O do not forget about all of the stress on the nozzle bolts.
Cobra fins do not clean up the wake. That is not what they are for.

Thrust vectors = putting your thumb over the end of a hose while gardening. Think of it if you turn the hose wide open then place something in front of it to deflect the jet stream it does not continue as a stream. It fans out. Also the TV wake full kit is not compatible with the wake booster or /and the lucky 13 cone.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
After getting the new boat and trying it out, I find no need to add any extra fins for steering control as it's not far off from the old stern drive we had. I find it much easier to maneuver at slow and no wake speeds, and going forward/reverse to push/pull the stern is so much easier without the dog clutch clunking. No wake speeds are also much higher on this hull - which means with a bit more speed, there is little to no wandering.

Having said that, I do like the idea of the second tie-rod for the articulated keel. It arrived today and will be installed tomorrow. Jeff sent along the instructions on how to make sure alignment is good and it sounds like a simple process. Thanks Jeff!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You are welcome but you may change your mind the first time you quickly reduce your speed while making a turn and totally loose control of the boat or when dealing with big waves when it would be nice to be able to tack them and maintain control doing it just to name a couple of things .

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just validating you, @212s . I had my boat for several years before I put any fin on mine (happened to be TVs). I didn't think it was bad before fins. I think the fins improved it, but I would not call it a 'night and day' difference. I am very happy I learned to drive the boat first before I started making changes. Taught me a lot.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You are welcome but you may change your mind the first time you quickly reduce your speed while making a turn and totally loose control of the boat or when dealing with big waves when it would be nice to be able to tack them and maintain control doing it just to name a couple of things .
The first day out I put it through every combination of bad situations I could think of, crossing wakes at the wrong angle, big waves from hugh cruisers, cutting thrust in a turn and through a wave, doing donuts, spins, and slides, etc., and the boat felt just as in control as the old stern drive. Better in some ways because she turns sharper into a wave, and the hull cuts through chop 10x better than the old hull with an 8 degree deadrise. I get it with jetskis and older models that didn't have any kind of rudder, but the AK works for me. I'm sure your fins would be better, but with 20 years of boating experience, I just don't feel the need for them. If I get a chance to test drive someone's 21 footer with fins, I might change my mind though.
:D

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just validating you, @212s . I had my boat for several years before I put any fin on mine (happened to be TVs). I didn't think it was bad before fins. I think the fins improved it, but I would not call it a 'night and day' difference. I am very happy I learned to drive the boat first before I started making changes. Taught me a lot.
Thanks @tdonoughue we're loving the new boat - much more fun than I expected.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I like my Cobras too, if I could get Cobra Fins to remove the tubing face spray, all would be right with the world.....
Now I Have the deluxe version with the plaining surfaces to reduce that issue. and top fins for even more slow speed assistance with steering in all conditions.

Attachments