• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra fins on our '18 242x and new top speed

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying a viper and then returning it ? I can not think of any people with 19 foot boats doing that .
Fair enough. I'll probably send in an order for some here in the coming week or so.

Large contingent of people who like them, and a manufacturer that doesn't get many returns. It's at least worth a look, and the risk is low with the 30-day money back guarantee.

Thanks for the info!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
https://jetboaters.net/threads/im-lucky-to-be-alive.21744/ I think Yamaha made that boat and the 1800 engines with the bad timing chains as well as the 2000 to 2016 push button clean out plugs, commonly called BLOW OUT PLUGS they swore it was user ereror the broken oil cooler bolts on the mr1 engines and the towers that fall down crossing waves from Bimini so anything is possible .

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One of my biggest hold backs was ditching the surf point alignment. I let him know that my best top speed was 44mph ( 2 adults 6yr,2yr, full tank of fuel. He said just ditch the SP.
Fins aside, was the major win improved speed and thus fuel economy by getting rid of SP? Just looking to learn as I'm not planning to put my boat in any races and I look at the fuel I burn as just a sunk cost of the experience. However, SP I look at as a slight improvement to the surf experience for friends and family while we're out. Don't get me wrong, it always strikes me sideways how those jets are toed in when I feel like they should be parallel in pitch. I've just looked at SP as more valuable than speed I rarely need or fuel that's easily replaced.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To answer your question one more big issue is the loss of handling with the nozzles out of alignment.
If the surf point setting is 1/2 inch as it was supposed to be I have a kit that allows you to realign the fins to travel correctly while the nozzles are out of alignment. it runs 19.95 but it is only for the super magnum set and you can also set the super magnum set back further to reduce the high speed contact still providing some and all the slow speed assistance as well. The point being that since most people do not use S P much it is not adding to the family boating experience but taking away from it so if you don't really use it you are better off removing it. it's whatever makes you happy . he ditched it like others have and he is happy so that's good.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes I came from a fin-less '98 Exciter so a jet boat was no big deal for me to pilot. But the surf-pointless made it a PAIN IN THE A$$. Now with that being said I could have done myself a favor and got the jest pointed in evenly, as mine were not. Then slowly made them straight to fine maybe a sweet spot. Mine were cross eyed with one being extra lazy. But I figured to just go all the way fins and all. I have fallowed Jeff's work since the old forum around 2004 and new what he had to offer.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
But the surf-pointless made it a PAIN IN THE A$$. Now with that being said I could have done myself a favor and got the jest pointed in evenly, as mine were not.
Mine are crossed-eyed as hell, but I've assumed that's the Surfpoint setup. I know i can align them better (for better handling), but at the expense of SP. Am I wrong in thinking the misalignment is SP and could be caused by poor QC in manufacturing/factory setup? Tough when I know the dealer will just tell me....it's supposed to be like that. It's the answer you get to any question you ask ( = no extra work for them post sale).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you can always un do it set the nozzles correctly and see if you like it better or if not just re set it to where it is now.

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
you can always un do it set the nozzles correctly and see if you like it better or if not just re set it to where it is now.
Can you please tell me what is all involved to set the nozzles correctly is something I can do or dealer needs to do it?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Originally the nozzles were supposed to be off center 1/2 inch toward the center , that is just a matter of changing the steering cable setting at the nozzle and adjusting the tie rod, so if you adjust the nozzles straight and even with the rudder you can always go back to the setting later on by towing the nozzles toward the center 1/2 inch each and readjusting the tie rod The surf point adaptor I have adjusts the fins back to square with the nozzles set toward each other 1/2 inch this allows for the extra full time steering and the nozzles to be offset at the same time . Otherwise the fins need to be set up so they only work at slow speed so why buy an advanced full time steering system and not get the full benefit .

Tango6455

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok thanks for your help I don't need any special tools to adjust the tie rod just a wrench right?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just metric wrenches

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How does straightening out the Surfpointe impact wave quality?
I’ve got a ‘19 242X with the Wakebooster, otherwise stock. Surf's just ok. Plan to add ballast for next season...
I'm considering CobraJet stuff as well, I need to be confident that my 16 year old can pilot while I surf and I'd love some help at the dock and ramp... But curious if I should keep Surfpointe alignment or straighten the Jets out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The most important part of making a good wake is the one thing you do not have yet " BALAST" , once you have that set up for what you want you will be glad you removed the surf point as stated numerous times. The wake making device , wake booster or wake wedge. and the correct ballast weight and placement will give you the wake you want. removing the surf point will improve top speed and fuel economy as well as the boat handling better. When you are NOT using the boat for surfing. And as stated previously remove it set the nozzles even and try it you can always return to the W P setting if you choose. When in doubt go back to the first post of this thread.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I agree with Jeff. I have surfed with a DIY wake booster and stock ballast full. when turning the jet will poke thought the wake but not a big deal. I plan to add the swim platform ballast next year.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How does straightening out the Surfpointe impact wave quality?
I’ve got a ‘19 242X with the Wakebooster, otherwise stock. Surf's just ok. Plan to add ballast for next season...
I'm considering CobraJet stuff as well, I need to be confident that my 16 year old can pilot while I surf and I'd love some help at the dock and ramp... But curious if I should keep Surfpointe alignment or straighten the Jets out.
We have the '18 of your boat w/ Wakebooster and extra ballast (500lb steel) and are really happy with the wake. 6' 3" at 180 and can easily go ropeless, play around on the wake and follow the boat/wake on turns. I have yet to have the desire to straighten the SP out. Kind of a, if a ain't broke don't fix it. I care much more about having a blast surfing than I do going from 46 MPH to 50 MPH, but we're lake bound and not clocking hours or hundreds of miles on the open sea.

I'd suggest dial yourself in next year with the ballast before changing up. Not sure if straightening out the SP is necessary for different products but for our fin setup we didn't have to JBP Thruster X and Lateral Thrusters. Both these and Cobra's are great products as you can see from all the reviews, my only feedback is don't mess with SP till you can get a good control experience with your setup.

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Shady28 I would suggest the logical approach, since you have ballast and a wake device but you think the surf point may actually be of some value to ought weigh the down side.
Prove it to yourself, don't use the ballast or the wake device and see if the wave is of any real value with just the surf point.
Many decades of boating has taught me the importance of handling at all speeds in all conditions as well as fuel economy and top speed.
Also ineffective propulsion takes it's toll over time by overworking the engines and pumps.
The results may convince you to then try aligning the nozzles evenly "removing the surf point settings" just to see if it really does make as big a difference in the overall performance of the boat as several people have already discovered.
In my experience one thing I know after nearly 2 decades of designing jet steering for these boats is that the top speed, handling, and FUEL consumption is very important to the average person although you mentioned it was not of any real importance to you and that is fine but certainly not the norm.
Here is a post with nothing but ballast using a 2014 212 no keel no rudder no wake maker no extra steering just ballast. Honestly the surf point idea based on what I am told by people who have it or had it at one point in time is that it is like leaving the anchor in the water so it will be ready when you arrive at the beach.

This is the wake we get from our 2014 212x. Wakemakers customs bags 1100 a side (or so) 450 bag on the swimdeck. We also have 200lb lead bags we move around to dial in the wake. We fill surf side plus fill about 25% on nonsurf side for counter balance

View attachment 72960

Last edited:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
When I got rid of SP my MPG got a lot better even during water sports. The first thing is make sure your SP is setup right. Mine was not.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
No not exactly. My SP was set up poorly from the factory. The talk I had with Jeff got me to do something about it. The fins helped out overall drive-ability. But the SP was not the end-all to a great wave as it was sold as. Yamaha's booster made a 10x better wave then the SP ever did. The SP also makes much more spray that affects tubers. Also less MPG. So I looked at the + & - of the SP and decided it need to go.