• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I'm lucky to be alive...

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm lucky to be alive and still have all my limbs.
So I had a very weird day Saturday. After my youngest daughter puking all over the inside of my truck while getting the boat ready to trailer to the lake. I ended up making it to the lake with out my wife and my sick daughter. They stayed home. I had my two oldest girls (8 and 5) and sister and her two kids (9 and 3). We had some fun tubing the kids around for a couple of hours but I couldn't take my eyes off my new wakeboard hanging in the rack. I decided that I could teach my sister to drive the boat so I could wakeboard. I emphasized over and over how important it was not to run over the rope! So I decided that when I fall for her to pull the rope into the boat before she comes around to pick me up. She at that time made a foreshadowing comment that the boat is more important than I am.

So after I went down on the wakeboard. She had her son pull the rope in and then turned around to get me. She was coming straight at me slowly but veered upwind before she got to me. When I was directly beside the boat the wind pushed the boat right over me. I couldn't swim out if the way with the wakeboard still on my feet. All I could do was yell your running me over and push with my legs the wakeboard against the hull of the boat. I don't remember much once I went underwater but remember popping out of the water directly behind the stern of the boat. I was pretty freaked out but was a little surprised she didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Anyways I'm really lucky that there was not a huge prop in the water and really lucky I didn't get sucked up into the pumps. I think that it's possible the excess straps on my life jacket could have been sucked into the pump and I could have drowned. I don't blame my sister it's ultimately my fault for wanting to wakeboard so bad that I let an inexperienced driver operate the boat.

Just wanted to share my experience of being ran over by my own boat.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

GeauxDeep

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crazy man. Glad you’re ok. It took a while before I let my wife pull me on the wakeboard. She still doesn’t like to do it.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very scary. Glad you’re ok. If I were you I wouldn’t let your sister drive you again until you’ve thoroughly trained her.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, next time get yourself free from the wakeboard before she gets close to you!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
wow. how scary! glad you are ok!

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Scary, glad your okay. Way to step up and take responsibility.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you are ok and did not have long hair to be sucked into the pumps!

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Some good tips for next time as well. Be careful out there.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you are okay, and glad you shared this with us, so we can learn from your experience. Maybe another thing to relay to a new driver in any close situation with people in the water, is to " turn the key" off quickly.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Damn! Damn, Damn...YES you are!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't see myself teaching someone how to drive, then letting them pull me. Id want probably at least a few hours of coaching while they pull other people before letting them pull me. If i don't have a driver i trust, i don't board, but I'm on a shallow river with moderate current and sand bars. Just driving the river takes experience. I'm glad your safe!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And that is one of the reasons I LOVE @Mainah push button kit RED BUTTON!!
Very nice! I've considered moving the ignition keys - out of sight, but decided not to at the end.

My priority has been to just have the RED/STOP button easily accessible - for emergency engines' stoppage. And - that is achieved beautifully with the @Mainah mod!

My wife/co-pilot really likes the idea that, whenever she is driving, all she needs to do is hit the RED - if in doubt about whereabouts of anything. There are bazillion different scenarios when you have 4 kids on board and run with 2 ropes etc. - wherein you want to be able to quickly shut the engines OFF, but not necessarily need to reboot the system every time you do that.

View attachment 76163

--

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Wow... glad you are ok.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Vídeo or it didn't happen

Just kidding...

Lanyard pull in case of emergency is a good extra lesson for new drivers. Not sure how likey you are to let anyone else tow you now, but might help in hindsight.

Very nice the v drive did not kill you. Congrats!!!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear you're OK after something like that. Very fortunate it didn't bonk your head and knock you out, or suck a strap into a pump.

This is a good remind to all that those uncomfortable conversations about safety, and what to do in an emergency are worth the time and effort.

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad you are ok!

That could have been really bad.