• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I'm lucky to be alive...

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad ur ok that’s the main thing. It will be one of those stories years from now u can look back at and laugh.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thankful how everything turned out and I was able to learn somethings from this experience without any negative consequences. I hope this helps someone else learn from this experience. Thanks for all the kind words.
I guess I need to find a boating buddy to go out with in these situations. I am also looking forward to getting the new TV-W's I ordered, who knows, maybe that would have given her more control of the boat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad you’re ok and that definitely sounds scary.

You bring up a good point about the jets possibly could have sucked up from lifejacket strap and then twist on the shaft. Man that would really suck and it’s one of those safety things you really don’t think about with jets. Even someone with long hair could probably have the same thing happen. With a jet unless the engine is off there will always be suction underneath. With a vdrive you can put it in neutral to disengage the prop but with a jet you cant do anything aside from turn the engine off since there is no transmission to disengage the impeller.

Thanks for sharing your story and you bring up some safety aspects I will for sure go over with for anyone who will be driving while someone is surfing, tubing or just swimming around the boat.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thankful how everything turned out and I was able to learn somethings from this experience without any negative consequences. I hope this helps someone else learn from this experience. Thanks for all the kind words.
I guess I need to find a boating buddy to go out with in these situations. I am also looking forward to getting the new TV-W's I ordered, who knows, maybe that would have given her more control of the boat.
and I was so close to calling you, my daughter and I went out Saturday afternoon, and come to find out Betik went out on Ray Roberts,

I find myself even getting nervous under the boat, the last time we sucked up a rope I made a couple quick dives under to try to free it and I just didn't like sticking my arm up through the grate, I'll always attack it from the cleanout plug now,

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
and I was so close to calling you, my daughter and I went out Saturday afternoon, and come to find out Betik went out on Ray Roberts,

I find myself even getting nervous under the boat, the last time we sucked up a rope I made a couple quick dives under to try to free it and I just didn't like sticking my arm up through the grate, I'll always attack it from the cleanout plug now,
We should have a text msg setup to notify if one of us would like to meet up on the lake. Im gonna try and get out on the lake this Saturday as well. As long as the weather looks good.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you're OK that's the important thing.

When someone wants to learn how to drive the boat and pick up a boarder, before they touch the wheel, they always have to watch me pick someone up twice. While they are watching me, I verbalize all my thoughts and commands as I'm doing them. That helps give them a sense of what I'm doing at the wheel.

Once they've done that, I have them practice their approach with a fender thrown in the water (remove the whip from it first). The thought here is let them practice with something that can't be killed or chip the boat. This helps build their confidence.

Ideally when they first start out picking up people, I like to also watch them do it a few times and coach them in the process.

When they do get the wheel, I also like it to be on a slow day when there isn't much wind.

This may seem like a long and slow process, but I'm a believer in if you teach and coach them along the way, they'll be more confident and have more fun.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have had drivers come in hot for the pick up cars have breaks boats don't and new drivers have no idea of the momentum. My strategy is lay on your back ready to do a back stroke as they approach let the board hit the boat and it will push you away .

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The strap in the pump comments made me think that one of those seat belt cutters might be a good idea in the back attached to a jetboat key chain float and breakaway lanyard.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The one time we sucked up our tube rope, the boat was just idling in "neutral" (obviously not really neutral) and floated over the slack rope. I was truly shocked at how fast the rope reeled in the tube and jammed it hard up against the side of the boat. It couldn't have taken more than 2 seconds to pull up 25 feet of line. Heck, it took almost that long to even recognize what was happening. Had anybody been in the water near that rope they could very easily have been entangled and killed. When these things happen and shake us up without anybody actually getting injured or worse, it is a good reminder to never get complacent. Just because jets are "safer" in some regards than prop driven boats, that doesn't make them "safe".