• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Fins

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally installed my Corbra Fins on my 242 x. Last month I installed my Tabs so I have a few mods on the back of my boat that have been completed. I cannot believe how much it has improved the boat handling. Yes slow speed steering has improved that was kinda a no brainier. I removed surf point and realign the nozzles with just 1/8 tow in. Adjusted the rudder center line. Getting the steering cables adjusted took me some time I wanted to make sure I had the same distance from left to right from the center and full travel of the steering wheel. Removed as much slop in the cables and linkage as possible so as not to create and binding in the nozzle movement. What a difference really. As far as the mega fins they it does feel like power steering at high speeds. As far as surfpoint goes I feel that it only has been a gimmick by Yamaha and they say that you lose no performance or steering loss this is not true I went from 44 46 miles an hour now 48 to 49 and at one point 50 miles an hour pop up but could not hold it. But what I was so impressed about is my boat at high speeds no longer turns like a pig. It literally held it in the turns it turns sharp and hard if you want it to and does not bleed off all its power it is great it's unbelievable how it turns my mega are always in the water they're always deployed what a difference. I cannot say enough it even kind of scared me at first until I got used to it you can crank and get that boat to turn and it holds it in the turn with no bleed unreal. I feel with the proper alignment in your nozzles the tabs and the Cobra steering on my boat has improved it significantly I can let go of the wheel at 40 miles an hour and it holds a straight line there is no resistance on the wheel at high speeds the only thing I noticed is 5 miles and 5 miles an hour going through the channels I could feel a little bit more tension on the wheel but nothing that made it uncomfortable reverse improved not much a little which was a plus. I highly recommend going to Cobra steering and removing surf point. And taking your time to align the nozzles cables and rudder. Surf point only hinders your boat and it's performance. As far as wake surfing goes you will not see a difference. But you will see a performance in your steering and handling in your boat. We all know that to get a boat to create a wave we need weight get that boat deep into the water find the right speed yes it takes time to find just the right but once you have it you will enjoy all the the benefits of your jet boat.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up. Bought my first jet boat this fall so I'm reading all of the info that I can so that I am prepared for anything that may need addressed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally installed my Corbra Fins on my 242 x. Last month I installed my Tabs so I have a few mods on the back of my boat that have been completed. I cannot believe how much it has improved the boat handling. Yes slow speed steering has improved that was kinda a no brainier. I removed surf point and realign the nozzles with just 1/8 tow in. Adjusted the rudder center line. Getting the steering cables adjusted took me some time I wanted to make sure I had the same distance from left to right from the center and full travel of the steering wheel. Removed as much slop in the cables and linkage as possible so as not to create and binding in the nozzle movement. What a difference really. As far as the mega fins they it does feel like power steering at high speeds. As far as surfpoint goes I feel that it only has been a gimmick by Yamaha and they say that you lose no performance or steering loss this is not true I went from 44 46 miles an hour now 48 to 49 and at one point 50 miles an hour pop up but could not hold it. But what I was so impressed about is my boat at high speeds no longer turns like a pig. It literally held it in the turns it turns sharp and hard if you want it to and does not bleed off all its power it is great it's unbelievable how it turns my mega are always in the water they're always deployed what a difference. I cannot say enough it even kind of scared me at first until I got used to it you can crank and get that boat to turn and it holds it in the turn with no bleed unreal. I feel with the proper alignment in your nozzles the tabs and the Cobra steering on my boat has improved it significantly I can let go of the wheel at 40 miles an hour and it holds a straight line there is no resistance on the wheel at high speeds the only thing I noticed is 5 miles and 5 miles an hour going through the channels I could feel a little bit more tension on the wheel but nothing that made it uncomfortable reverse improved not much a little which was a plus. I highly recommend going to Cobra steering and removing surf point. And taking your time to align the nozzles cables and rudder. Surf point only hinders your boat and it's performance. As far as wake surfing goes you will not see a difference. But you will see a performance in your steering and handling in your boat. We all know that to get a boat to create a wave we need weight get that boat deep into the water find the right speed yes it takes time to find just the right but once you have it you will enjoy all the the benefits of your jet boat.
So you didn’t notice any impact on your surf wake, size, push or spray through from the straighter jets?

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So you didn’t notice any impact on your surf wake, size, push or spray through from the straighter jets?
No I didn't see any change on the size. I have the wake booster also I fill one back ballist to get the boat to list to that side then I lower the opposite side tab to get to llist more and I fill the center ballist about 3/4 full that helps to make wake a little longer. The performance gain out weigh the SP my opinion is a gimmick that just my opinion.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Cobra stuff just works well that’s why you have seen 2 sets of lateral thrusters up for sale from members in the last month.
There you go Jeff I know your drooling over this thread, maybe this way we don’t have to get your long sales pitch in it that says how great your stuff is.
lol

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cobra stuff just works well that’s why you have seen 2 sets of lateral thrusters up for sale from members in the last month.
There you go Jeff I know your drooling over this thread, maybe this way we don’t have to get your long sales pitch in it that says how great your stuff is.
lol
Totally agree odds are at least a big smile 😁

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought mine for my new boat but still have yet to install them (been doing the stereo for the last couple of weeks). Doesnt much matter right now since it will probably be spring before I go back out, but this is always good to hear.