• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering - Review

Doublej_k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed Cobras on my 2019 SX190. Jeff answered the questions I had quickly. I haven’t had the chance to try them yet due to the weather but I’m looking forward to it.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I installed my Cobra Super Ultimate AK19 on Saturday and took them out yesterday. It was windy as hell and choppy. What a difference in low/no speed control!! Highly recommended.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Cobra or JBP. Nor am i partial to one or the other. Did a bunch of research and Flipped a coin and Cobra won.)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed my Cobra Super Ultimate AK19 on Saturday and took them out yesterday. It was windy as hell and choppy. What a difference in low/no speed control!! Highly recommended.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Cobra or JBP. Nor am i partial to one or the other. Did a bunch of research and Flipped a coin and Cobra won.)
But, did Jeff give you the coin???

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been running the JBP Thrust Vector X / Lateral Thruster Combo since the 2nd weekend out on my boat after soft response at slow speeds. Part of my call was the how simple the install was for JBP with the surfpoint setup on the 242x. As others have noted with a 2 engine setup and articulating keel I was less concerned with high speed modifications.

If I was running a single engine setup and didn't have to mess with the adjustments required for the SP Yama setup, I would think a Cobra & JBP lateral thruster setup would be a great combo if you're able to confirm compatibility for those products on a single engine. IMO.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I was running a single engine setup and didn't have to mess with the adjustments required for the SP Yama setup, I would think a Cobra & JBP lateral thruster setup would be a great combo if you're able to confirm compatibility for those products on a single engine. IMO.
That’s what @MidnightRider is running with.

As far as the AK twin boats and steering, one of the key features of Cobra system is the second steering rod.

The SurfPoint is for the most part a gimmick, steering linkage fatigue and breaking is not...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All of my steering is compatible either as sold or with a alternate side force stabilizer, except the viper . Perhaps you can do a search for more information.
I have posted threads on the matter others have also. That being said there are some down sides to the lateral thrust for starters just read the warning labels they send.
If you hit the throttle in reverse backing from the dock or backing off the trailer you chance the boat jumping sideways unexpectedly as was reported to me by people who experienced that, The reverse thrust is important more is better less is a problem in wind and currents and in heavy boat traffic areas.
On twin engine boats equipped with independent throttles even with no additional steering whatsoever you can do the same maneuvers if you have my mega fang plus installed , they capture the reverse thrust and direct it better all your real reverse features are enhanced, plus the faster tighter turns at speed as it leads the back of the boat , plus the resistance reduction effect from the forward leading fins. Oh and the mega fangs are considerably less expensive.
As for surf point I have a surf point kit but once again I believe that is a fools errand read the post about removing it and the benefits gained in top speed handling and fuel consumption. I have 18 years of experience dealing with the shortcomings of jet steering and solving them.
I do not suggest messing with the very heart and soul of your jet boat propulsion to attempt to create a wake surf wave , especially when it is all or nothing If surf point is important just add the new COBRA SUPER ULTIMATE A K STEERING and set it in the up at speed mode.
You would still have the patented extra tie rod for balance and steering at docking speed, with the ability to change it later if you choose. The new super fins actually add in extra fin surface to the top of the original fins , this comes into play when you are in the slow speed off plane mode. It does it by the hull attitude. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-fins-on-our-18-242x-and-new-top-speed.22744/

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a single engine boater, it was important that the cobra ultimates did not hang below the keel (rudder). The Thrust vectors hang 4" below the keel and I was concerned it would be an issue trailering going in an out of my driveway and gas stations. Especially those in KY and TN roads which have steep aprons. The twin engine folks don't have the same concern.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hey everyone... I wanted to make sure that everyone knows that this post was not a "slam" or in anyway "against the competition". This post was merely to let everyone know about my experience with the CJS product. I chose to go with this product and because I was very satisfied I wanted to let everyone know. In this day of so much Social Media, it seems that people only post when they have a problem with something, no one seems to post when they have a good experience. Well.... I posted just that... A really good experience with a really awesome product.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the Super Magnum AK with Mega Fangs Plus last night and ran into a couple problems during the project.

As many people have said Jeff answered the emails within minutes and was eager to help. I can’t say how happy I am with his service. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC customer service is bar none!

I can’t wait to drop the boat back into the lake tomorrow and feel the difference.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just installed Cobras on our '18 242LSE. Without this addition being available we would now be trading for a prop boat. Our '13 trade in had Thrust Vectors which were fine since that boat handled well at high speeds. Not so with the 2018 ridiculous keel and "articulating keel" {Insufficiently Large Rudder). Now that boat handles great at all speeds. Customer service was super, of course. I suspect all the Rube Goldberg keel business is just an attempt by Yamaha to avoid paying the guys who did the hard work for their IP.

Probably Spam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I left a mini-review in a thread in the 190-specific section already, but just wanted to toss in another two-thumbs-up for the CJS Super Ultimate AK-19.... best 200-some bucks I’ve spent on my AR190 by far. Both forward and reverse handling is light years better than stock. Had one concern about the install but Jeff answered my email within a few hours and got me set on the right track. I’ll definitely be buying from him again when I upgrade to a 21 or 24 footer in a couple years.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dropped the boat back in the lake last night. We spent a few hours out on the lake and I am truly impressed with the difference!
I love the feel of the tracking at high speed and crossing over bigger wakes. It’s also great in “no wake” zones where in the past I was constantly turning the steering wheel back and forth. No more with the package installed!

Hats off to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Thanks Jeff

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just finished my install. Hitting the lake tomorrow and can’t wait to see what these will do!
Hold on tight! You'll be amazed. Make sure to go in reverse too. :winkingthumbsup"

JohnOntario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wanted to take a few minutes to talk a little about my new addition... Cobra Jet Steering. First and foremost I need to mention that Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is the man! His customer service and response to all of my questions and concerns are second to none. I can’t say enough about Jeff and how pleased that I am that I decided to go with his product.

If any of you were are on the fence about purchasing the CJS from Jeff, all I can say is
“DO IT” you won’t regret it. And oh yea... the install is a breeze. Jeff makes it super easy and is there for you if you have any questions. If any of you guys have any questions on it please let me know. I would be happy to answer them.

THANKS JEFF!!!
I would 2nd all that information above from Rushfan67. I just installed my super ultimate ak-19 this season and yes a number of key improvements all around vs not having these on my boat. DO IT! BTW: One of my sisters went to high school with RUSH band....lot's of stories....

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I would 2nd all that information above from Rushfan67. I just installed my super ultimate ak-19 this season and yes a number of key improvements all around vs not having these on my boat. DO IT! BTW: One of my sisters went to high school with RUSH band....lot's of stories....
Thanks @JohnOntario !! I have been a fan since the late 70’s. Still can’t believe there is no more Rush after Neil’s passing. That’s gotta be totally awesome to hear those stories!