• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering sale now members only and 4 tec systems are added

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ended 10 31 2018

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Very important no nonsense information when deciding what aftermarket steering system to purchase. Cobra jet steering has a system to meet your needs.
First let us address the twin engine Yamaha articulating keel jet boats. From 2015 to 2018 models both the 21 and 24 foot versions.
These Jet boats have a keel down the center of the hull, this keel acts like a fixed rudder to keep the boat tracking straight and help guide it on plane.
The down side to this is ,the keel wants to keep the boat going straight even when you want it to turn, the faster you go the more it resists turning.
Yamaha added a rudder to the back of the keel to help with the steering , it's a fairly large rudder but it still leaves a lot to be desired .
Also this rudder causes a lot of resistance in the helm so Yamaha uses a rack and pinion steering helm to allow the steering wheel to turn easier however this is a trade off as it requires twice the steering wheel travel.
A full turn to the left or right from center on a regular helm was about 1/4 turn, it is now 1/2 turn , so from full right all the way to full left is about 1 full rotation of the wheel.
Simply put its geared down making it feel easier to turn.
The increased work load has not changed and it is tied into just one nozzle, thus placing all that extra resistance on one side and all on one cable.
Although the nozzles are very rugged and the steering can take the load we believe it only makes sense to balance out this work load sharing it between the two nozzles and cables for added longevity improved reliability and redundancy? It certainly will help if the rudder takes a hard hit to the ground when beached or in shallow water as the force will be transferred directly to the nozzle.

The extra tie rod also removes the nozzle play and allows you to set a slight tow in on the steering to provide straight tracking at speed.
Even with the rudder added to the regular steering nozzles if you rapidly decelerate during a turn you can completely lose your steering control , if you own one of these boats you probably already experienced this.

I call it off power steering and you receive off power steering with the cobra systems also . Even with the rudder if you are rapidly decelerate while turning people report losing all steering control . People also report a large bleed off of speed while attempting to make high speed turns. All this can be disappointing and even dangerous during water sport activities or in heavy traffic areas. Our magnum A K and our Ultimate A k steering systems address these issues and our Mega fang plus upgrade on either system will make you think you have a different boat. Steering at all speeds and off power, enhanced turning capabilities with much less bleed off in the turns.

Next is reverse control or lack thereof.
The keel and rudder provide very little reverse steering. This may not be your primary concern but it is important to be able to back your boat with accuracy, predictability and power.

We can provide you with real reverse steering and reverse control , with twin engine boats turning the back of the boat sideways in place is accomplished by staggering the controls, this feature is already in your stock twin engine twin throttle jet boat, try it yourself . With our mega fang plus upgrade you can enhance that feature as many people have reported along with more useable reverse thrust for better stopping power and better control in reverse against wind and current and heavy boat traffic areas. At Cobra Jet Steering LLC we have been fixing the steering deficits on jet boats and p w c s with affordable patented steering systems since 2001. We build steering based on our experience and customer input.

Our Magnum A K adjustable effect steering system designed for the twin engine articulating keel Yamaha jet boats addresses the steering shortcomings at ALL SPEEDS! Not just at IDLE speeds. AND YES OFF POWER STEERING ALSO ! And lets not forget water sport activities need that extra steering response and control.
The Magnum A K system provides instant steering response to the helm so completely that you may forget you are driving a jet boat.
This system also addresses the uneven work load of the original factory steering system by adding in a second tie rod to balance out the steering providing a push/pull force when turning in either direction.
We position specially designed 6061 t6 aircraft aluminum steering fins off to the side of each nozzle directly in the flow of water as it passes the hull for more balanced and effective steering in a V configuration without the need of huge obstructions hanging all over the back of the boat!
Once again proving LESS is MORE!
We also provide the option of a conservative set of A K fangs that mount on each steering fin to provide some power steering and some improved reverse influence at a very modest price, OR you can choose the MEGA FANG PLUS SYSTEM for the MAXIMUM effect!
This system provides improved reverse control by channeling the water as it exits the reverse opening of the steering nozzles, This channeled force will move your boat around while backing like never before, customers have described it as good and even better than a prop boat for reverse steering and it will not require any special training or even practice to operate.
If you have operated prop boats in the past you will enjoy having reverse steering like it is supposed to steer.
Additionally the Mega Fang plus enhance both reverse and forward steering.
The Mega Fang plus system was designed to use more of the enhanced reverse thrust for improved stopping power and better power when backing of the trailer or lift.
The mega Fang plus upgrade also provides a nice power steering effect by extending forward of the nozzle pivot point to actually reduce the work load of your steering system.
So when it comes to choosing steering for your Yamaha articulating keel twin engine jet boat you can SPEND the MOST MONEY or GET THE MOST for your MONEY it's your call!

Next let us discuss the Cobra Jet Ultimate Steering System. And our newest version the Ultimate A K steering for the 2015 to 2018 models with twin engines and articulating keels. The Ultimate system is our best selling steering system .
This system is unique because it incorporates spring loaded, adjustable fins for varying influence that can be changed to meet the requirements of the boat operator even if those requirements change from time to time.
This adjustment is also stagger able on the twin engine boats for increasing or decreasing the high or low speed influence due to each fin being independently adjustable.
Selectable simply means these fins can be set to stay down all the time at all speeds or set to rise up at speed your choice. So when you add our Ultimate system to your boat you decide what it does and how it does it.
The Ultimate System is compatible with all Yamaha jet boats single engine , twin engine, old or new with the exception of the twin articulating keel 21 foot and 24 foot models. Those models are covered by our new Ultimate A K system or our Magnum A K system .
Ultimate steering is made of 6061- T6 aluminum.
They are also compatible with the MEGA FANG plus for power steering / power stopping / Excellent reverse control & off power steering.
The Ultimate steering system has so many options and features built in that nothing on the market can compare with it. It is the only system that does it your way at your level even if that changes from time to time.
Coupled with the Mega fang plus you can steer a 24 foot non rudder equipped Yamaha jet boat in an S turn while rapidly decelerating from a planning speed.
For a jet boat with no additional rudder just the nozzles turning, the old rule is no thrust no steering but that goes out the window with our systems installed.
So steering the boat in an S turn off power was totally unheard of until we came along and changed how jet boats handle !
Very important no nonsense information when deciding what aftermarket steering system to purchase continued.

So now we need to take a look at the COBRA VIPER system because people seem to get addicted to this one on the 19 foot boats.
Obviously we have one for each style , keel setups / non keel setups* / early nozzles or late model nozzles. Note * = mega fang plus compatible with this system only non keel versions are able to add the mega fang plus to the center.

The VIPER steering has fins that are spaced apart for more travel to provide more steering effect while making the fins with less depth as single engine boats have the pump and nozzle lower to the ground than a twin engine model.
So rather than have fins hanging down all over the place we decided to build a planning platform that places the fins away from the lowest part of the boat , after all we love adding in features and benefits to our products.
The planning surface allows for faster planning of the hull and slower planning speeds required to stay on plane, then there is the hull stability in rough conditions obtained from that planning surface so with that we have another very unique steering system for our customers to enjoy their boat with.
But I also built in a set of fangs to this platform for improved reverse control and a power steering effect all in one simple inexpensive system .
Also the VIPERS made for the non keel boats can add the Mega fangs for an additional 85 dollars and amp up the steering / stopping / reverse and power steering effects on their viper system that will more than make up for not having the keel.
Just one more way we help put you in jet boating paradise, but it is what we do .

Very important no nonsense information when deciding what aftermarket steering system to purchase continued.

Now we can discuss the 4 tec steering system I build for the Sea Doo / Scarab / Chaparral and Glastron boats using the 4 tec engines and pumps.
This is a very different situation as these boats have an excellent factory reverse system built in.
Once you learn to look at the front of the boat and decide where you want it to point and then just turn the wheel in that direction you can quickly overcome the reverse confusion since the steering in reverse is opposite to what we are accustom to while driving a car or prop boat.
This setup uses a large reverse bucket that is fixed so it does not move with the nozzle.
The nozzle turns inside this reverse bucket redirecting the reverse thrust out different ends of the bucket.
The trick is to provide steering influence in forward to allow the boat to be predictable and responsive without taking away from the reverse handling.
It is important to understand that I drive p w c s that have the same reverse and on my p w c s I can turn on a dime in reverse do a creep forward or backward I have fun with this feature.
So when I built steering for these boats I knew what I needed to do and what I needed to avoid at all cost.
The Sea doo 4 stroke systems have been around for many years I build a system that uses very small number 10 stainless screws to attach it to the nozzle, the system is stainless also, I could build very fancy and expensive systems just look in my patents and see for yourself.
That being said These boats do not need nearly the amount of assistance that the Yamaha setups need, so why mess with success?
I build a system that I even offer to install on your nozzles at no extra charge if you send them to me just in case you get squeamish drilling some very small holes in your nozzles.
So here are the facts ,these nozzles are some of the strongest I have ever dealt with right up there with the Mercury Optimax nozzles.
Drilling a few small holes does nothing to damage or compromise the nozzle , and it WILL NOT affect your WARRANTY! Actually none of my steering products will void your warranty on any make boat.
In all the years I have been doing this I have NEVER seen a single 4 tec nozzle broken by adding these fins, once someone experiences driving with this system on their boat they won't take them off. Interestingly the nozzles brand new can be purchased for around 70 dollars on line if you ever did need one so no worries . however I have never heard of anyone needing a new nozzle.
The systems provide instant slow speed response to the helm plus they provide high speed enhancements and the way I designed them they do not interfere with the reverse steering as most of the actual fins are shielded by the reverse hood when backing up so they don't provide interference.
The system is made to work on both the single engine or the twin engine setups so it is the same price either way because it is the same system it just mounts differently.
Two on a single engine and one per nozzle on a twin engine.
So if you want some nice predictable and effective all time steering assistance for better all around handling and improved handling during water sports or in rough conditions we have real steering that will spoil you and let others drive with confidence as well.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So let's talk about exactly what a mega fang plus set is , how it works , what it offers you in the way of features and benefits and why it is so effective on a Yamaha jet boat.

Mega fang plus systems are a larger version of the original fangs, the larger size enhances all the effects.

First the power steering effect.

For centuries mariners employed a simple principal when turning a rudder on a ship .

Rudders create directional drag to change the direction a ship or boat is traveling , drag on the right vessel turns to the right etc. This however does create some resistance and when they used a tiller attached directly to the rudder it could be next to impossible to turn the rudder in bad conditions.

So they discovered if they placed part of that rudder forward of the pivot point the boat traveling through the water could harness some of the energy of the water and use it to help turn the rudder, thus allowing one person to steer the vessel as it greatly reduced the work load required to defeat the water resistance. Mega fangs places small fins under the nozzle where they can capture some of the energy of the boats forward movement thus reducing the amount of effort needed to turn the steering system, especially at higher speed.

It is also important to understand that not only are steering fins, factory rudders etc. responsible for resistance at higher speeds but the jet system itself is a major contributor to this resistance.

The jet pump is producing a huge amount of liquid thrust sufficient to propel your jet boat at some pretty impressive speeds, just imagine the amount of force that is being expelled from the nozzles.

The water jet is trying to keep your steering nozzles perfectly straight, so when you turn the nozzle via the steering wheel you are fighting that force and it is fighting you.

Now the mega fang plus system jumps in to counter a portion of the total resistance allowing for you to turn the wheel easier.

Next we can focus on the enhanced stopping power and reverse thrust for backing off trailers and boat lifts.

The Mega fang plus location and forward positioning also focus the reverse water exiting the bottom of your nozzles. Since Yamaha reverse just shoots the thrust under the nozzle by closing off the water's normal exit out the back and redirecting it under the boat in a forward direction causing the thrust to push the boat in an opposite direction , as the nozzle turns from one side to the other it changes the direction of that thrust supposedly creating a directional steerage however it is usually inadequate for most people.

The Mega Fangs are located on either side of the nozzles reverse water exit , this allows them to direct and focus the thrust giving it more power and more steering effect combined with the steering fins so it now steers in reverse more like a conventional boat .

Now the steering system enhancement.

At planning speeds the Mega fang plus will actually capture water flowing under the nozzle and turn into it using their power steering effect to move the back of the boat sideways as the steering system is also moving the hull .

An example is the steering system is pushing the front of the boat to the right while the Mega fangs are pulling the back of the boat to the left creating a very impressive and effective steering response. Imagine someone paddling a canoe on one side only to get it to change direction while another person in the back paddles backward on the opposite side of the canoe. That is about the best way I can explain it.

So I provide you with all these important features and benefits, I sell the systems for a very competitive price. And I guarantee you will like it or you can return it within the 30 day period for a refund . Remember this is what I do, my goal is to make your boat easy and predictable to operate and make you smile when you get behind the wheel.

Cobra jet steering LLC US patents 6561858 , 6702630 , 8425269 and patent pending! ALWAYS MADE IN THE U. S. A.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
courtesy of swatski.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-personal-views-review-of-the-cobra-venom-magnum-ak-with-mega-fangs.19526/#post-335457 A few recent posts on the a k systems and once again to set the record straight, magnum ak steering & ultimate ak steering are both compatible with the lateral thrusters as sold no changes needed even with the second tie rod to balance out your steering system.
The ultimate system is compatible simply by changing over to the alternate side force stabilizer, viper and mega fang systems are not compatible . The mega fang plus system is compatible with the ultimate, ultimate ak & magnum ak systems . vipers have fangs and the viper nk and nk 2 can also add the mega fang plus.
All A K systems include the second tie rod in the sale price, People interested in non combo purchases may contact me for special pricing on those items also. Remember if you are not sure just ask.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
courtesy of swatski.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-personal-views-review-of-the-cobra-venom-magnum-ak-with-mega-fangs.19526/#post-335457 A few recent posts on the a k systems and once again to set the record straight, magnum ak steering & ultimate ak steering are both compatible with the lateral thrusters as sold no changes needed even with the second tie rod to balance out your steering system.
The ultimate system is compatible simply by changing over to the alternate side force stabilizer, viper and mega fang systems are not compatible . The mega fang plus system is compatible with the ultimate, ultimate ak & magnum ak systems . vipers have fangs and the viper nk and nk 2 can also add the mega fang plus.
All A K systems include the second tie rod in the sale price, People interested in non combo purchases may contact me for special pricing on those items also. Remember if you are not sure just ask.
Same result here! So much improved!!!

Bubblehead

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Intersted in the ultimate AK with MFP.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm interested in the set up for a seadoo 2012 challenger 210

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok I now have some of the new Ultimate A K steering system parts on hand, although a very limited number of them.
This system uses the largest of the cobra fins, it has the most adjustments, it can stay down at speed or go Up at speed it is tempered 6061-t6 aluminum , the fins are spring loaded also, the system includes the second tie rod for the A K boats ,retail for this is $425, during this combo sale you can purchase the Ultimate A K with the A K mega fangs, retail $219.99 for a total value of $ 644.99 now during the sale subject to availability for only $499 plus 7 dollars shipping in the U S A. This system fits all 21 and 24 foot a k twin engine boats, The Ultimate A K steering is the most effective & most versatile system available for your boat at any price.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F Y I this is still available considering all the bad weather we have had this summer from constant rain to hurricanes and the red tide, I have not ended this offer yet.
I am also hoping to be able to have some magnum A K steering systems available for the new 2019 twin engine boats .
Similar to the original magnum ak system ,this system uses a V configuration with the rudder in the center lowest point of the hull and the adjustable fins up above the rudder and off to the sides for steering assistance that is remarkable without needing to have huge fins hanging down and like the original magnum a k this system adds a second tie rod to the original steering to balance everything out.
This system provides steering at the dock or at wide open speeds and everywhere in between even during rapid deceleration in smooth or rough conditions.
Get excellent steering capabilities for water sports as well as guest operators. The admirals also seem to enjoy showing off when they drive the boat once you let them try the new steering response provided by this system. All cobra steering systems have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok finally The first of the 2019 model compatible COBRA steering systems is finally ready.
I just now finished the instruction sheets.
The system I just completed redesigning is for the twin engine boats only. It is the Magnum AK-19 system. This system uses the second tie rod for balancing out your steering, it has the V configuration like the original Magnum A K system but it is wider to accommodate the wider nozzles and reverse gates.
It is also compatible with the original A K fang setup but obviously not the mega fang setup.
The wider stance will provide even more influence and a slight tow in on the fins is built in for straight tracking at planning speeds.
So since the sale is still in effect and I spent a lot of time doing these changes I hope people will take advantage of this and find out what their boat is really capable of doing at any speed from around the dock to wide open speeds in wide open water plus experience how it works for water sports, and maintaining control even when you rapidly decelerate.
Now that I have this completed I plan on doing the single engine systems next.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also if someone wants to upgrade their existing magnum A K steering for the wide stance it can be done regardless of what fangs you are using.
Only the new 2019 style nozzles are not compatible with the mega fang plus systems.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Update on steering for the 2019 twin engine magnum A K system.
I just mailed out most of the back orders for the magnum A K -19 twin engine, systems, I have a few more on the shelf ready to go out for interested members, the projected selling price for this system will be listed on my web site at $359.00regular
For a short time I am still offering the new setup at the and you can add the AK fangs set for extra while supplies last , then I plan on ending this sale completely.
This is the only upgraded steering system available for the twin engine 2019 boats, it is similar to the original A K system including the extra tie rod for redundancy and balance of your steering system, the fins are approximately 1.5 inches wider than the original AK system giving them more exposure and you can set the system to the level of influence you like for your boating style and needs.
With this system added to your boat you will have unbelievable steering at ALL speeds, you will have steering in off power and fast throttle reduction as well as sharper turning capabilities with considerably less speed bleed off when turning . Great for watersport activities also.
This system utilizes a V configuration with the A K fins positioned above the rudder and out to the side of each nozzle for excellent effect without being close to the bottom of the articulating keel.
To order and take advantage of the sale pricing you must email me directly with the state you live in and the order you wish to place. Remember I also have a variety of systems that offer all time steering assistance for all the Yamaha jet boat models prior to the 2019 changes and I am currently working on the systems for the 2019 single engine boats. Email is jeff@cobrajetsteering.com

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok, for the record this sale will end on Oct 31st at midnight Eastern time . I offer a wide variety of steering systems some model specific , so if you have any questions feel free to message me ,call me or email me. Remember my steering systems were designed to offer you the most steering and the most options . So you get the most from your jet boat.