• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering vs. THRUST VECTOR

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Neither. These are jet boats. No thrust? No steering. When you power down, a fin may help slightly, for a second or two until you have lost forward momentum. Then? No control. Again. Basics. No thrust? No steering.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Decide what you want from a steering system , if you want slow speed only T V and Ultimates can do that If you want both high speed and low speed and the ability to choose the amount of steering you get with the ability to change the effect and change the function if you want to ,the ultimates are capable of that but no other one can do that. If you want a set of fangs , a planning surface and fins the Viper does that. So do your homework and see what will do what you want to accomplish. Then find testimonials from people on this board and from customers who have had both and decide
Neither. These are jet boats. No thrust? No steering. When you power down, a fin may help slightly, for a second or two until you have lost forward momentum. Then? No control. Again. Basics. No thrust? No steering.
I hear you on that. I didnt get them right away as I wanted to become better at controlling the boat without a "crutch". Instead of no thrust and no control, thinking more of little thrust with some control.....like docking, tight marinas and loading onto a trailer with cross current etc. Appreciate the comment.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I Must point out a small error in your thinking , You don't have a jet boat unless you removed the rudder you have a modified jet boat with an inadequate steering system or you would not be looking for more control. I am just pointing out the obvious, Do you want a jet boat or a boat that is by far superior to a jet boat in it's handling properties , one for high speed water sports and slow speed trolling, A very versatile boat that anyone can operate and enjoy without spinning out when you slow down quickly or do turns while it idles and looses it's way if the engines stall out or if you decelerate quickly . It is all up to you , if you like the way it handles with your rudder, leave it alone if you want way more control add steering to it. Some people like stick shifts in their cars some like automatics , it is all a matter of personal preference. Nothing wrong with either. For me I love having the ability to do things that no one else can do just because I can. like towing 5 people in two tubes behind a jet ski while I stand on the seat and wave at people. Just because other people stare and wonder how the hell I can do it let alone I am 65 years old. It is just me I would never tell others to try it but I do that stuff every day. But that's just me no fear ! Some people just spend their lives being spectators.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I enjoy having the boat in neutral, creeping forward slowly, cutting the engines when almost to the dock and then cutting the wheel so the back swings to the dock

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just having fun, like at 22.55 for about 15 seconds...

and at 6.35 with a "family member" at the helm

Some need 'em; some don't. Some drive Ford pick ups; some of us say they are terrible performers and choose a Chevy..... Same thing with fins. We are set in our ways.

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just installed the Thrust Vector on my boat and love the steering response now, very noticeable difference. I live chatted with Kelly at Jet Boat Pilot to see what they had in stock and had it two days later, excellent customer service and have since bought a few more items. I'm waiting for the console organizer and will let y'all know how that goes.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I like the idea of having steering control at the wheel.
I'm reading the post of everyone contributing and like stated, everyone has their preferences. Like someone stated before though, I don't see how someone can say that one is better than the other without having tried both systems, and even then, that's just one persons opinion.
I myself have a new jet boat and have neither system. One thing I do like about cobra jet is that I was able to find what the products are made of as well as answers to questions that I have from questions others asked before me.
As for the Thrust Vectors, they to have made it easy to get some answers. What I can't seem to find without asking them directly, or from their website, is what is their product made from. Do they have a warranty?
And one more thing, I really like that Cobra Jet offers a discount to Military personal(Semper Fi! Once a Marine always a Marine), Firemen, and Police officers.
Products are made in America!

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I like the idea of having steering control at the wheel.
I'm reading the post of everyone contributing and like stated, everyone has their preferences. Like someone stated before though, I don't see how someone can say that one is better than the other without having tried both systems, and even then, that's just one persons opinion.
I myself have a new jet boat and have neither system. One thing I do like about cobra jet is that I was able to find what the products are made of as well as answers to questions that I have from questions others asked before me.
As for the Thrust Vectors, they to have made it easy to get some answers. What I can't seem to find without asking them directly, or from their website, is what is their product made from. Do they have a warranty?
Call them and ask! Will @JetBoatPilot is an outstanding guy. Obviously the fins are some sorta plastic/polymer. Cobras are metal. Both have advantages i would say. Comes down to preference. I owned cobras on my exciter and thrust vectors on my newer boat.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Call them and ask! Will @JetBoatPilot is an outstanding guy. Obviously the fins are some sorta plastic/polymer. Cobras are metal. Both have advantages i would say. Comes down to preference. I owned cobras on my exciter and thrust vectors on my newer boat.
That's awesome, you my friend are probably one of the few that has experienced the best of both worlds!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is a huge difference between the steering systems and what they do, for your boat the Cobra magnum A K series is the best option for adding steering at all speeds slow and fast steering is greatly enhanced with this system and we also fill in a void by adding a second tie rod to balance out the original steering system, add the fangs and get better reverse control and power steering effect, the total cost for the system with the tire rod and the fangs is 369.25 with free shipping in the U. S. A. Thrust vectors do not add any assistance over an idle speed so fighting the resistance of the large keel down the center of your boat at planning speeds only comes from the COBRA steering system. The magnum A K system was designed specifically for the needs of the twin engine Yamaha jet boats with the articulating keel and rudder.
There are many posts from people who have this system on their boats
The fins are made from 3/16 thick 6061- t6 aluminum

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Call me at 850-960-3236 and I will go over the pros and cons of both products. Also you'll be glad to know that Thrust Vectors are compatible with our new Lateral Thruster Reverse Steering Enhancer!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other