• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering vs Thrust Vectors. Final opinion

I am saying this is the one for your boat the deluxe version is the most popular one so no you do not need extra fangs etc on the boat because of the new style nozzle. all you need is the steering system.
The Super Ultimate AK-19 Steering System designed for the 2019 and newer Yamaha single-engine jet boats. This system offers all the features and benefits of the original Ultimate steering with a wider and more effective stance to be compatible with the updated nozzle designs since 2019. Fully adjustable, selectable, and spring-loaded this system is built from the same tempered aluminum for strength and effectiveness with a low profile.

DELUXE Side Force Stabilizer Upgrade

DELUXE Side Force Stabilizer comparison
DELUXE Side Force Stabilizer Positioned
Super Ultimate AK-19 DELUXE System installed

The Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 DELUXE Steering System adds a planing surface to the side force stabilizer. You can see the difference between the stabilizers of the two versions and see the DELUXE version in it's installed position in the second. This planing surface can provide benefits such as faster hole-shots and a smoother ride in choppy conditions, to name a few.

SUPER FINS

This steering system also includes our latest SUPER ULTIMATE fins. The Super Ultimate fins have additional influence at low speed and no-wake mode for more control in both forward and reverse. This is accomplished by adding more surface area to the top portion of the fins only. Simply put, when the boat is up on plane, even if your fins are in the full-time mode the top of the fins are above the water and only the lower portion of the fins are making contact with the water providing steering assistance.

By increasing the surface area on top and the back of the fins, once the boat comes off-plane the hull sits lower in the water and the entire fin is now making contact with the water allowing the additional surface area at the top of the fin to apply the additional steering influence to the boat without increasing the draft of the fins. This is always important, especially on a single-engine boat as the pump is the lowest point of the hull.

Our designs do all the work, you have all the fun.

Last edited:
Perhaps this will help until my new site is up and running but you can always ask me if you are not sure.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/basi...us-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/

I really do appreciate your assistance and patience with my lack of knowledge. I think that you last couple of posts really got the information through to me and I'll be ordering the Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 DELUXE Steering System when I get closer to taking possession of my boat.
THANK YOU!!

Here is my install video on my 242X....which I drove finless for years before putting on Cobras. I have a thread on this topic linked in my signature too (under the 242X section)....(if you don't see my signature...you are on your phone....turn it sideways)

Thank you.

I'll be honest. When we first got our 21' FSH 195 I knew that I would want some sort of steering assist. Obviously Cobra Jet and JetBoatPilot were the top 2 style that came up in searches. The simplicity of the description of the Thrust Vectors and the sale happening last August was why I went that direction. The other deciding factor was plastic vs. metal thinking in case I hit something, the TVs would give saving damage to the nozzle.

If I wanted to give the Cobra Jets a try, which ones would I want?

I'll be honest. When we first got our 21' FSH 195 I knew that I would want some sort of steering assist. Obviously Cobra Jet and JetBoatPilot were the top 2 style that came up in searches. The simplicity of the description of the Thrust Vectors and the sale happening last August was why I went that direction. The other deciding factor was plastic vs. metal thinking in case I hit something, the TVs would give saving damage to the nozzle.

If I wanted to give the Cobra Jets a try, which ones would I want?
The very same ones above and you will notice my fins do nor increase the draft of the boat so if you ever hit something solid like an oyster bed the fins will do just fine, the rudder may break off. I actually have customers that have done away with the rudder and just used my steering after hitting rocks or oyster bars and the fins allowed them to finish their day of fishing. , one more important thing is I do not need nor ever use interconnecting rods of any type below the nozzle in the flow of water. And you will never need any kickstands when in shallow water or on the trailer, And if you have the thrust vectors without the side holes to allow the water to exit from the side with your latest style nozzle you should notice a big improvement when using reverse with my steering fins. And if you use your boat in wind waves and strong currents you will enjoy the full time steering assistance provided by my steering system at all speeds and especially when engaged in water sport activities however you do not want the admiral to drive or you may find yourself in the passenger seat.

I posted this Sept 2021 in the thread above with a couple pics.

I took delivery of my 2021 FSH 195 Sport June 10th. June 11th I install the Jetboat Pilot Thrust vectors and Simrad Cruise 9. My initial impression before even getting the boat in the water was the plastic construction seemed a bit flimsy and I kind of wondered how they would handle the force of the water day in and day out. I was on the water June 12th. I am new to boat ownership but not entirely new to boating and familiar with no steering off throttle based on riding multiple jetskis over the years. I grew up tubing, skiing, & Knee boarding behind family boats. I thought the control at slow speeds, below 5 MPH, was good. Of course there is no influence at higher speeds with the Jetboat pilot Thrust vectors. Whatever you do keep all factory parts you happen to remove from your boat. You never know when you might need them. Like the small spacers on the reverse bucket you remove when installing the Thrust vectors.

Aug 21 on return to the ramp I found the small round cross support for the thrust vector was bent and the screw was missing on one side (See Pic). Not even 30 hours on the boat. I maintain Instrument landing Systems (ILS), Air to ground communications (Radios), Ground based Navigation systems (VORTAC/DME), Engine Generators, Large facility Power Conditioning systems (PCS), and dabble in Radar, ASR-9 and ARSR-4. Everything I do is based on following instructions to the letter. So I am 100% confident I installed the Thrust vectors correctly and used the provided blue Loctite everywhere it was required. I am convinced the Jet Boat Pilot thrust vector kits will not hold up to years of use.

Aug 22 I emailed Jeff, owner of Cobra Jet Steering and ask for his recommendation for my boat. He emailed me back within hours and recommended the Super Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe system. I ordered the kit that evening. It was delivered Aug 25th and I installed it the next day. Jeff asked for pics after my install to confirm everything looked good. I sent them and he replied within a hour and all was good. My first impression based on the Aircraft aluminum construction is the Cobra Jet Steering kit is much more solid. I was back on the water by Aug 28th. First thing I noticed on the water was I had much more control at speed. Off throttle after a tuber feel off I could actually steer the boat and start my turn before getting back on the throttle a bit to recover the tuber. I have spent 5 days on the water since install of the Cobra Jet Steering and I can say it performs better than the Jet Boat Pilot Thrust vectors for my use. I am just outside Charleston, SC and spend most of our time on the North Edisto River and just outside that inlet.

I Did not reach out to Jet Boat Pilot. I decided I did not want their kit on my boat any longer.

I Recommend the Cobra Jet Kits. But you know what opinions are like so take it for what it is worth.

I came across this install video as well.

Back