• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering vs Thrust Vectors. Final opinion

boy I wish I had read this 6months ago! I didn't really consider Cobras, so bought the TV, dont get me wrong I am happy with their operation but reading a side by side evaluation would have made my decision simpler. Just like to say thanks Sonic Blue for your efforts. Not going to swap them out, if you think Canada is bad try shipping to Australia!! Oh well next time :)

I edited my original post but I’ll add it here ..

EDIT. I forgot to mention…. Jeff & Cobra state the importance of aligning the jet nozzles before the install. It’s shown on the video And documented in his install instructions. My brand new boat’s nozzles and articulating keel were noticeably out of whack. Once I knew what to look for, I could see it right away….so, regardless of the system you install, I highly recommend going through that exercise.

I edited my original post but I’ll add it here ..

EDIT. I forgot to mention…. Jeff & Cobra state the importance of aligning the jet nozzles before the install. It’s shown on the video And documented in his install instructions. My brand new boat’s nozzles and articulating keel were noticeably out of whack. Once I knew what to look for, I could see it right away….so, regardless of the system you install, I highly recommend going through that exercise.

thanks to your review help me leaned towards getting a Cobra

MfM if you don’t mind I’d like to start off making it a fun thread:

There’s really no difference in the Cobra Jet steering and the Jet Boat Pilot steering systems. One system is plastic the other is aluminum, they do the same thing. Just a bunch of marketing blather.
I believe the big difference, unless the thrust vectors have changed, is that the cobras can be set to stay down at at all speeds not just no wake speeds. As the OP stated with that function enabled the boat carves hard turns at speed instead of sliding sometimes instead.

I had both systems. I decided on the Cobra's. I have yet to install them. I would like to find a good install video like Will has. Step by step. I have the written instructions. But following a video is nice to see as well. I wish Jeff had a step by step video for all of his systems as Will does. Both systems are great. What made my decision was metal vs plastic. My system is the SUPER Magnum AK DELUXE - Steering w/NEW Cobra AK MEGA FANGS PLUS. I am quite limited on time and don't want to mess up on the install and have to re-fix my mistake. But maybe the install is much easier than I anticipate.

Last edited:
I had both systems. I decided on the Cobra's. I have yet to install them. I would like to find a good install video like Will has. Step by step. I have the written instructions. But following a video is nice to see as well. I wish Jeff had a step by step video for all of his systems as Will does. Both systems are great. What made my decision was metal vs plastic. My system is the SUPER Magnum AK DELUXE - Steering w/NEW Cobra AK MEGA FANGS PLUS. I am quite limited on time and don't want to mess up on the install and have to re-fix my mistake. But maybe the install is much easier than I anticipate.
I tried but your email does not work

I tried but your email does not work
I've never had my email not work. You've emailed me before when you sent out the item's and I received it fine. Did you send it to the right email address? You can PM me if needed. Or DM me on Facebook. I sent you a message on Facebook just now.

Not the AK and not the latest gen fangs but this video may still help you out.

FYI I’ve since replaced my fangs with first gen thrust diverters from JBP. I’m retro spect I probably should have just upgrade to bigger fangs.

Last edited:
Love the Cobra Jets on my 252 and 210. I just had them installed on my 195. I will post a review once I get to try them out. The single engine was a bit more difficult to control compared to the duals, from factory.

Not the AK and not the latest gen fangs but this video may still help you out.

FYI I’ve since replaced my fangs with first gen thrust diverters from JBP. I’m retro spect I probably should have just upgrade to bigger fangs.

Thank you. Any more video's would be appreciated. I am sure I can figure it out. However, I do like Will's step-by-step videos.

Here is my install video on my 242X....which I drove finless for years before putting on Cobras. I have a thread on this topic linked in my signature too (under the 242X section)....(if you don't see my signature...you are on your phone....turn it sideways)

I'm curious which would be the best for my 195S single engine. There are the comparison for the twin engines, anyone know of a comparison for the single engine boats?

Edit: No offense to anyone but I do find the Cobra Jet website confusing on what to purchase/compare. The names all jumble together to me. I found the the JBP website was easier but not by much. What helps is that you can sort by boat specific.

I'm curious which would be the best for my 195S single engine. There are the comparison for the twin engines, anyone know of a comparison for the single engine boats? here is the front page for the system I just mentioned as an example

NEW! Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 and Super Ultimate AK-19 DELUXE Steering for 2019 and NEWER model 19ft Yamaha Jet Boats
Cobra Venom Ultimate AK-19FITS 2019 model year and newer Yamaha Single Engine jet boats ONLY! (see below for twin-engine)
Due to Yamaha redesigning the nozzles and reverse buckets starting with the 2019 models, we have the newest AK-19 versions to provide you with the ULTIMATE steering for more control at all speeds from docking to wide open and water sports activities.
This system offers all the features and benefits of the original Ultimate steering with a wider and more effective stance to be compatible with the new 2019 and newer nozzle designs. Fully adjustable, selectable, and spring-loaded this system is built from the same tempered aluminum for strength and effectiveness with a low profile.
Click here for more info or to purchase your Cobra SUPER Ultimate AK-19 steering.

Edit: No offense to anyone but I do find the Cobra Jet website confusing on what to purchase/compare. The names all jumble together to me. I found the the JBP website was easier but not by much. What helps is that you can sort by boat specific.
super ultimate ak-19 deluxe system buy direct discount price is $268.99 on every front page for each model specific system is an explanation and a list of boats that the system fits I am trying to have the new site set6 up where you can put in your boat info and have only those that are applicable show up

super ultimate ak-19 deluxe system buy direct discount price is $268.99 on every front page for each model specific system is an explanation and a list of boats that the system fits I am trying to have the new site set6 up where you can put in your boat info and have only those that are applicable show up
That's all? No fangs, magnums, or vipers needed? If so, that's awesome and thank you for the help!

That's all? No fangs, magnums, or vipers needed? If so, that's awesome and thank you for the help!
That is my most popular setup for the 2019 and newer single engine boats and I tell people do not mess with the reverse on the new style nozzles, Yamaha has a good design on those.
Removing any thrust and shooting it out the side will reduce your real reverse thrust considerably.
For the class of 2022 remember I make model specific steering not bling . I pay attention to the the features and benefits.

That is my most popular setup for the 2019 and newer single engine boats and I tell people do not mess with the reverse on the new style nozzles, Yamaha has a good design on those.
Removing any thrust and shooting it out the side will reduce your real reverse thrust considerably.
For the class of 2022 remember I make model specific steering not bling . I pay attention to the the features and benefits.
Either I have asked the wrong question or misunderstood your answer. So you are saying NOT to buy any of your other products with the Super Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe for my 2022 195S?

Back