• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Ultimate AK w/Mega Fangs Plus Review

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Installed on a 21ft Yamaha 212 Limited S. Review of the Cobra Jet Ultimate AK w/Mega Fangs Plus.

First off, install was easy. I had no trouble following instructions and the pictures provided.

6947C8AC-90CC-4598-97B4-0009078EF48C.jpeg
Above is the picture when install was completed. Looks great!

7E6A4205-920C-4519-A404-0AD6284C3CDF.jpeg
Underside of nozzle before bolt installation.

DCEE0FC5-C381-4DD2-9F07-AA894F88B2BF.jpeg
Bolt for rear of nozzle with new washers and spacers.

B2C4B45B-A4A6-4321-A6BB-9E7D4DF5A9E0.jpeg
Underside of nozzle with fangs installed.

A498E314-0310-407B-9CA7-3A52FB7EE1CB.jpeg
Above picture is of some locktight on the inside of the nozzle to help secure the bolt. I was able to do this instead of superglue because I wasn't going to put in the water for several days.

14327A19-F41F-4222-AF68-D113B74D62CA.jpeg
Before bolts were installed.

9333E6FC-FAC0-48B1-BF54-F308506EB7E0.jpeg
After bolts installed. Jeff said to install the bolts with head of the bolt on the top. But I had clearance and left it alone.

Next are some pics of the side force stabilizer and fins.
6AFD5D35-A08C-40D0-9CAD-169EE6278AAB.jpeg
11A4F373-F2AA-4CD7-96C4-6FB67AACFC9F.jpeg

7A522248-51B7-4615-A16B-FAA8F1A5642B.jpeg 3CC7C573-701E-4933-AB1D-2AF69117BFDA.jpeg DB2D3AC4-A099-4C8D-BE63-B4E0B2476477.jpeg

Now on to performance. I was at the coast for testing. So the conditions are with ICW currents.

The fins and fangs performed very well. Slow/no wake handling was surprisingly impressive considering the 4-6 mph current that I was in. I did not have any type of load assisting bumpers installed on my trailer. Had no trouble loading or unloading. I could control the boat well. Reverse was improved over stock. I will say it performed well with the current, but believe it would be a lot more noticeable in a lake setting. So low speed handling was great.

High speed handling is where I noticed the biggest difference. I will describe the steering not as power steering, but more of a progressive type steering. Let me explain. If anyone has driven a car that has power steering, and a car without power steering then you have experienced both worlds. The car with power steering is great at low speeds and turning while stopped. Not so much at higher speeds as you have less feel of the road. With no power steering, you hate the times you are slow or stopped but the road response is noticeably better and you can feel the road and seem to have more control at higher speeds. That’s why race cars don’t have power steering. That’s what I felt this system added to the Yamaha. You feel like you have low speed control and ease of steering, yet when you are at higher speeds you feel the steering has that feedback and thus more feel for what your boat is doing or fixing to do. The steering is still light with system, but I feel more in control because I feel what my boat is doing/fixing to do (bow walk, turns, etc.). Tracking was straight. Tighter turns. Off throttle control was amazing compared to before. I could back off the throttle and definitely control my boat even in currents and heavy, heavy chop.

To summarize my experience.

I had the the Thrust Vectors. They performed exactly as they were described and performed well at no wake speeds. Had no complaints on their performance and advertised perfectly for what they are designed to do. I just want to make that statement clear. I am not in any way, shape, or form saying anything negative about the Trust Vectors. I did want to add that the Thrust Vectors were easy to install and directions were easy to understand. I did not have to call or inquire for help on install, but I did email for some other questions and they were very responsive to my questions. None of which were time sensitive either.

Having said that, the Cobra Jet system did the same thing at no wake speeds. Where the Cobra Jet system really stands apart was anything above no wake speed. From no wake speed to full throttle increased performance was very apparent. Highly increased off throttle maneuvering, high speed maneuvering, low speed maneuvering, and straight line tracking. I do not regret changing to the cobra Jet system. It was that little bit of extra that I was looking for to make the whole boating experience more enjoyable.

I agree with several things that I have read on some of the forums. This system should be standard on these boats. Just from the safety aspect of off power control and docking control. Not to mention the increased high speed performance.

You will not go wrong with this system and will not need the money back guarantee the is offered. You will not want your money back after you use it. Customer service is amazing! Definitely goes above and beyond to make sure you are satisfied. The only other advice I will give is this. Make sure you listen to what Jeff says to do. PUT BLUE LOCK TIGHT ON EVERY BOLT AND NUT! I have checked and double checked my bolts and nuts. Non of them, I repeat, non of them have loosened. I have about 10 hrs running the system and solid as a rock.

Buy it, you won’t regret it!

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't know if its just me but the pics aren't showing

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't see them either

ok now the are showing after you reposted them.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here...

--

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now I can’t either. Have no idea why. Any suggestions? I’ll try a file upload maybe?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Great review and I love that red boat!:winkingthumbsup"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now I am waiting for the review from a member who had the magnum A K and mega fangs on a 24 foot and upgraded to the ultimate A K with the new mega fang plus system. I believe he is trying them out this week end.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great review and pics now showing

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So Jeff, I got my magnum AK and mega fang plus kit 3 weeks ago. How much is it to upgrade to the ultimate? Sent you an email, too.

MIKEP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 AR240. Personally I’ve never had too much issue handling the boat but everyone (my wife) else does until they get a feel for it. Most annoying part I’ve found is no wake areas..you can’t take your hand off the steering wheel for 5 sec without it going off track. For that reason I purchased the AK’s and new mega fangs! This review is spot on! Thanks @cameron.sprinkle. Just tried mine this weekend. The “play” in the steering is gone. Way more responsive. The race car analogy at high speeds is perfectly said. Exactly how it feels. It doesn’t feel light in the water like it did before. Grips and rides on rails. Biggest change for me is the no wake speeds. No problem getting up for another beer...boat cruises straight ahead!!! Very impressed. Best part is my 6 year old can drive it without my hand on the wheel every second. Perfect upgrade for the family! Best customer service as well. I had some questions and Jeff responded to email within minutes of me writing him. He’s interested, responsive and cares you have a great experience! Thanks Jeff! Couldn’t be happier with the decision!

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 AR240. Personally I’ve never had too much issue handling the boat but everyone (my wife) else does until they get a feel for it. Most annoying part I’ve found is no wake areas..you can’t take your hand off the steering wheel for 5 sec without it going off track. For that reason I purchased the AK’s and new mega fangs! This review is spot on! Thanks @cameron.sprinkle. Just tried mine this weekend. The “play” in the steering is gone. Way more responsive. The race car analogy at high speeds is perfectly said. Exactly how it feels. It doesn’t feel light in the water like it did before. Grips and rides on rails. Biggest change for me is the no wake speeds. No problem getting up for another beer...boat cruises straight ahead!!! Very impressed. Best part is my 6 year old can drive it without my hand on the wheel every second. Perfect upgrade for the family! Best customer service as well. I had some questions and Jeff responded to email within minutes of me writing him. He’s interested, responsive and cares you have a great experience! Thanks Jeff! Couldn’t be happier with the decision!
Definitely hard to beat the customer service.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Highly increased off throttle maneuvering, high speed maneuvering, low speed maneuvering, and straight line tracking.
Once the steering w/Cobras is tuned up - tracking is completely strait, even with some wind/chop etc.
I don't like shooting clips while not holding on to the wheel, but just a short clip to show it - w/no steering input, the boat tracks strait at any speed on plane - for as long as I want to let it go.

--