• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cobra Ultimate Settings

smoney3k

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of different settings and what they suggest in setting the fins. I currently have all fins set to the top holes is this ALL time use or wake mode only? Trying to distinguish what setting does what.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC

I'm sure Mr. Jeff can answer your question.

I currently have mine locked down at all times. It allows me to turn sharp at speed and adds control during slow speeds.

If you raise the outer fins, it will give less feedback in the wheel at speed.

If you have the actuator facing the boat set at the top holes you have the fins set to stay down all the time at maximum effect. if you have the actuator reversed with the fingers pointed away from the boat set on the top holes you have the setting for the fins to rise up at speed but that pertains to the fins with only 6 adjustment holes. However after 5 26 2015 I made a new version with seven holes, this version works a little differently in the up at speed mode. simply put on all the newest ultimate steering the actuator has the adjustments for different settings in the all time mode but to change over to the up at speed mode you utilize the seventh adjustment hole and change the angle of the actuator, up means the fins rise up at speed and down means the fins stay down at speed. This only requires changing the position of the bottom bolt on the actuator . Also it prolongs the timing for the fins to rise up so they work longer in the off plane mode and they are set to maintain a small amount of contact with the water at planning speeds so that you continue to receive feedback in the steering all the time and you also receive a small amount of assistance at the top end by keeping about 1 inch of the fins in the water. So now you are really confused . upload_2015-5-28_22-25-25.png new fins set to rise up at speed notice the 2 top holes parallel to each other. upload_2015-5-28_22-26-27.pngview of new setup for the fins to rise up at speed, note nothing is below the nozzle so there is less resistance and a greater speed is required for the actuator to reach the water exiting the nozzle to lift them up mostly out of the water. upload_2015-5-28_22-28-9.png setting for both new and older styles to keep the fins in the water at speed. upload_2015-5-28_22-29-51.png the earlier style with the 6 holes " no longer available " upload_2015-5-28_22-38-39.png this picture shows the actuator positioned in reverse to make the fins rise at speed on the "earlier set". You can easily see that the fingers and some of the actuator would make contact with the water below the nozzle to get the fins to begin to rise so that the actuator could catch the water exiting the nozzle. On the newer style this isn't the case so only the leading edge of the fins make contact requiring more speed for the fins to rise up enough for the actuator to catch the water exiting the nozzle , at that point the actuator would rise up to the top of the water stream lifting the fins and holding them up. I have already been shipping the newer style out . The all time steering and the all time settings are no different on either model of fins.

Last edited:
Dang I got mine a few days before the new ones with the extra hole came out. Great write up Jeff thank you very much that makes allot of sense to me now. So raising up the outer fins by one or 2 holes is the recommended?

It really depends on what you want from the steering, remember my saying cobra steering puts you in control of the boat and cobra Ultimate steering puts you in control of the steering system.
On your boat I would star out with the fins set to stay down all the time all the way in the water and see how you like it.
Play around with the system, do some testing in slow speed and in reverse then try off power steering. Try running wide open at top speed then pull the throttles back to neutral once the boat is in neutral turn the wheel hard right and then hard left see how well the boat responds with no thrust, It may really surprise you, this is pretty important, imagine if your boat stalled out unexpectedly or if you reduced power quickly in an emergency to avoid a collision, regular jet boats would just go into a spin or revert back in the direction it was traveling prior to the rapid reduction of power. That would probably put you back on a collision course with the thing you were trying to avoid. After trying the system in the all in mode if you think you want a little less input from it try raising the outer fins up a notch or two. It really is very versatile and accommodating for a variety of users.t

Last edited:
Jeff made first trip today with the fins very windy and choppy! Probably wasn't the best day to go out but the boat looked like it was bored after a fresh coat of wax and scrub down. I have to say the fins made all the difference slow speed and at WOT, great addition to the boat!

Thank you!

Back