• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cobra Ultimates

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have finally installed my Cobra Ultimates that I got from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC last year during a sale.

To set the scene ... I have a 2005 SX 230 with the old style Cobra Jet Steering fins that are considerably smaller (on floor in pic) than the new style Ultimates.
image.jpg

Install was a breeze with no drilling just removal of factory bolts and installation of new bolts and hardware. Just read the full instructions before starting.

First run impressions:
There is a noticeably heavier steering feel while driving. It's not a bad feel just a feeling more like a stern drive that has a little resistance. I currently have all fins down at all times. You can select the depth levels of the fins and have them spring loaded to drop down only when at idle speeds. I might try with the outside fins up to reduce the fin action while at speed.

The boat handled crossing big wakes of boats passing me going the same direction very well. I actually had great control where previously I would be at the mercy of the wake or had to gun it to gain control.

Slow speed control is improved as well. I've mastered docking with the old fins but noticed a quicker reaction in the boats direction with the Ultimates.

The best improvement for me is the wandering bow during no wake zones. It's practically gone now!!! I can hold the wheel in one spot and go straight with minimal correction. The Ultimates hold the boat true and straight during higher speed runs as well.

I can truly recommend these Ultimates to anyone who has the old style or none at all. It's worth the price of admission!

Thanks @Murf'n'surf
I was very curious of your first impressions. Guess I might need to make the move!

I have been considering the upgrade.
this is probably over-analyzing, but any concerns of the old style mounting holes causing excess turbulence? I was considering tapping them and screwing in some all thread to make the surface flush and reduce any "drag" as the water exited. maybe someone with an engineering degree can tell me it's minimal and I can skip that step.

I have been considering the upgrade.
this is probably over-analyzing, but any concerns of the old style mounting holes causing excess turbulence? I was considering tapping them and screwing in some all thread to make the surface flush and reduce any "drag" as the water exited. maybe someone with an engineering degree can tell me it's minimal and I can skip that step.

I believe guys are patching the old holes with a dab of JB Weld or similar. I am sure others will chime in.

Jeff does recommend patching the old holes with JB weld, something I need to put on my list for this spring.

I filled my old holes with JB weld and have gone 2 boating seasons without issue.

I concur with @Murf'n'surf with regard to the improved operational characteristics with the new ultimates over the origional Cobra Fins. My wife is also a big fan of the new fins. I also plugged the old mounting holes with JB Weld, then did some very light grinding with a Dremel. Looks nearly perfect.

Originally the position of the mounting holes was chosen so the screws would not cause any issues, just leaving the holes will not cause any issues either , that being said using a small amount of J B weld pressed in the holes between two small pieces of wax paper works very nicely to press it in tight allowing you to just pull off the wax paper when it is done curing.

I'm jealous! My ultimates don't have the nice logo on the side. :(

Just a reminder, I am currently offering these at a sale price during my daylight savings sale, you can email me or call if you have any questions and please contact me if you have been misinformed about this product in any way. I will be happy to answer your questions and set the record straight . These have been out for over two years and plenty of members have them in use on their boats, I have no doubt they would also be happy to give you some honest feedback on the performance of this patented steering system.

That really depends on what you want in a steering system. The beauty of this is you can decide what you want it to do and set it accordingly. If your needs change you can change the settings time and time again.
If you like the way it works for you as you have it set then leave it that way for a while. Or change it up a few times and play with the different ways you can set the system.

Try staggering the outer fins about half way up and leave the inner fins all the way down next just to see how that feels

Here is something for you to try while you have the fins set all the way down. People often forget that driving a jet boat presents some unusual and dangerous situations an example is in an emergency if you make a sharp turn and also throttle back while running on plane say to avoid some other boat or an object, your boat will immediately go back in the direction it was traveling before you turned the wheel or it will spin sideways , either way you have no steering control . So try it with the fins in the down position, do a hard turn at a good speed and in the middle of that turn pull the throttles all the way back to neutral continue to hold the wheel in the turn and your boat will continue to turn even with no forward thrust just from it's forward momentum and the steering fins.
Next while on plane turn the wheel to get the boat to make a turn and then release the steering , the steering will go back to center and the boat will maintain a straight line. This is a real benefit for jet boats, considerably more than just slow speed assistance.

Last edited:
Back