• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Collapsing Wake Tower

Miami_Oh_Yeah!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody have any tricks or tips to be able to put up or collapse the wake tower solo when I need to put away in the storage unit or after I take it out?

I would imagine the problem is that you're not able to hold it up with one hand and release it with the other at the same time? If so I would suggest maybe measuring the height and keeping a 2x4 in your garage cut to that height. You could place it under the middle of the wake tower to hold it while you release it until you're able to use two hands to lower it down safely. ?‍♂️
(it's not something I've tried, but if I had the same issue that would be the first thing I thought to do).

I would imagine the problem is that you're not able to hold it up with one hand and release it with the other at the same time? If so I would suggest maybe measuring the height and keeping a 2x4 in your garage cut to that height. You could place it under the middle of the wake tower to hold it while you release it until you're able to use two hands to lower it down safely. ?‍♂️
(it's not something I've tried, but if I had the same issue that would be the first thing I thought to do).

Good idea. Thanks.

I lower my AR190 forward swept tower by myself all the time. There is a certain "art" to it though. Wife calls it beginner circe de sole.....it's not that bad.

The tower will hold itself up with one fastener undone. So I do that on starboard side, then move to the port side. Standing on the rear seat I take my right hand and hold the tower and extend my arm and use my body as a "counter balance" while I use my left hand to under the hand knob. This looks a lot like hanging from a jungle gym with one arm, however my feet are on the seat just ahead of the tower mounts, and I'm leaning back at a fair angle (60deg from horizontal maybe?) Once it's loose, I transfer to two hands holding the tower and do a "pull up" that rights my body, and starts the lowering process. Then I just walk forward on the seats and hand-over-hand on the tower until it's down.

I can take a video if you guys want to see. It works well, but it's definitely a "young mans" method of lowering the tower. You need to be in acceptable physical condition and confident in your strength and balance. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad though.

I lower my AR190 forward swept tower by myself all the time. There is a certain "art" to it though. Wife calls it beginner circe de sole.....it's not that bad.

The tower will hold itself up with one fastener undone. So I do that on starboard side, then move to the port side. Standing on the rear seat I take my right hand and hold the tower and extend my arm and use my body as a "counter balance" while I use my left hand to under the hand knob. This looks a lot like hanging from a jungle gym with one arm, however my feet are on the seat just ahead of the tower mounts, and I'm leaning back at a fair angle (60deg from horizontal maybe?) Once it's loose, I transfer to two hands holding the tower and do a "pull up" that rights my body, and starts the lowering process. Then I just walk forward on the seats and hand-over-hand on the tower until it's down.

I can take a video if you guys want to see. It works well, but it's definitely a "young mans" method of lowering the tower. You need to be in acceptable physical condition and confident in your strength and balance. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad though.
I'd go with the 2x4 or a boat hook...lol

Anybody have any tricks or tips to be able to put up or collapse the wake tower solo when I need to put away in the storage unit or after I take it out?
All depends on the tower that you have. With the OE AR230 towers there is no way to get the tower down without more than one person but with a newer tower it is possible.

When I need to lower my tower, which isn't that much, I use my telescoping boat hook and two short pieces of 2" x 4", probably 6" long.. The bottom one I used a paddle bit but only drilled half way through. The top one I drilled under halfway on one side and then made a notch on the other side that is shaped like the tower tube. This way it wont slip. Easy to do with one person.

If and when the time comes where I need to do this, my plan is as follows: 2" PVC pipe, 5' long. Tee fitting on one end. 90° elbows, with pipe between the tee and elbow. When done, it will look like a goal post or a weird fork. This end goes on the tower.

Take a piece of 1.5" PVC and slide it into the bottom of the 2" about 1-2'. Drill a hole through both pipes. Remove the 1.5" pipe. Drill another hole lower than the first one all the way through, in line with the other hole. Use a saw to connect both holes, creating a long slot on both sides.

Get a bolt that fits the hole, and a wing nut or threaded star handle to match. Feed the bolt through the 2" pipe and the slot in the 1.5" pipe extend the 1.5" pipe to the approximate correct distance, and tighten the wing nut. Trim the excess 1.5" pipe off.

Now you just need to put this thing against the rear of the boat, and slide it up/down to support the tower while you fiddle with the hold-down screws for the tower

@drewkaree I will sell you my 2 2" x 4" system, just the blocks, for $49.99. No shipping required. :)

If and when the time comes where I need to do this, my plan is as follows: 2" PVC pipe, 5' long. Tee fitting on one end. 90° elbows, with pipe between the tee and elbow. When done, it will look like a goal post or a weird fork. This end goes on the tower.

Take a piece of 1.5" PVC and slide it into the bottom of the 2" about 1-2'. Drill a hole through both pipes. Remove the 1.5" pipe. Drill another hole lower than the first one all the way through, in line with the other hole. Use a saw to connect both holes, creating a long slot on both sides.

Get a bolt that fits the hole, and a wing nut or threaded star handle to match. Feed the bolt through the 2" pipe and the slot in the 1.5" pipe extend the 1.5" pipe to the approximate correct distance, and tighten the wing nut. Trim the excess 1.5" pipe off.

Now you just need to put this thing against the rear of the boat, and slide it up/down to support the tower while you fiddle with the hold-down screws for the tower
Sometimes overthinking leads to overkill.....maybe make a storage bracket for the tower so you can store it there. Might as well go all the way.

I use that same method! Well until today, 4 tower speakers has added enough weight to make this very difficult

My Tige was a 1 person operation . I thought they were all that easy. Hopefully my newly purchased Scarab is just as easy, I haven’t tried it yet. Otherwise I like the earlier pre cut helper 2x4 idea.

Don’t overthink it. Undo one side. then use your body weight to lower it down. Super easy on our 250. I was making it hard then the wife said to do it this way. :oops:

You could use a work support or cargo bar. I am a contractor so I have some nice ones like these,FastCap 3rd Hand Support. But there is also the harbor fright option, 2-In-1 Support/Cargo Bar, they are on sale right now at $11 it’s almost cheaper then a 2x4 at today’s prices.

As I was reading this I was just thinking what about just taking a line from the tow point to a stern cleat. You could keep tension on the tower to unhook. You could probably just hold the line while taking out the fasteners out and then let the line go when you get back in position under the center. I might try this next time and see if it works better then the old grab and lean.

Thanks for all the responses. I have a MTK Monster Tower. I've done sailing, had multiple waverunners, and belonged to a nationwide boat club for a long time, but this is my first powerboat I have to own and store away. Really appreciate all the ideas and responses. Thanks!!!

Screenshot_20220225-215735.png

@drewkaree I will sell you my 2 2" x 4" system, just the blocks, for $49.99. No shipping required. :)
Sometimes overthinking leads to overkill.....maybe make a storage bracket for the tower so you can store it there. Might as well go all the way.

I think I am unique to the forums, of being the only person who literally has the boat launch split my property. I won't need any way to store mine, so my ideas are along the lines of "who cares where it goes on the boat, it's not coming along, I'll just store it in the boathouse until it's time for haulout".

2x4's are for people who want things easy. At the very least, my idea could be broken down to a smaller size. This forum is great at spending other people's money, my personal gift is spending everyone's time and effort ? ?

Now, about those trailer lights, here's what you need to.....

I think I am unique to the forums, of being the only person who literally has the boat launch split my property. I won't need any way to store mine, so my ideas are along the lines of "who cares where it goes on the boat, it's not coming along, I'll just store it in the boathouse until it's time for haulout".

2x4's are for people who want things easy. At the very least, my idea could be broken down to a smaller size. This forum is great at spending other people's money, my personal gift is spending everyone's time and effort ? ?

Now, about those trailer lights, here's what you need to.....
As far as spending other people's money...it can be a good thing. I have completed a few mods thanks to your wisdom.IMG_2682.jpg
This arrived yesterday, expect the rest to be here this afternoon. Thank you for spending my money....

I use that same method! Well until today, 4 tower speakers has added enough weight to make this very difficult
Same, I unlatch one side, then counter balance with my body while I undo the other, BUT the addition of the tower speakers has made this more difficult.

Same, I unlatch one side, then counter balance with my body while I undo the other, BUT the addition of the tower speakers has made this more difficult.
Good to hear someone with my same boat, doing it the acrobatic way. I have to lower it to get it in the garage.

Do you put it up by yourself as well?

Back