• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connectx system and "Err" speed

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t understand why (nor does the service lead at my local dealer) but they pulled my tach’s And have sent them back to Yamaha to be “re-flashed”.

Let you know if this fixes the issue.

I only have another month or 2 left on YES, so finally hitting all the minor annoyances.

BTW, Shorlander fully replaced both wheel wells this time.
Last time it was just the cracked brackets.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like they have found the issue. The port tachometer reads the nmea 0183 for the gps antenna module and sends that data over the radio canbus to the display. My guess is some sort of issue with baud rate, dropped packet handling or something to do with voltage. Hopefully Yamaha sent out a TSB to the dealers. The real shame is that it has taken them this long to figure it out. I have high hopes for the 2018 models with the 12" Connext. Given the relatively short product cycle for the original Connext it would appear that Yamaha is listening.

t.gordon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That’s how they fixed my boat last year. Two new tachs.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone have any updates on this? I may be getting a 2016 242LSE, but now I'm scared. I already didnt like the stupid Connext to begin with. Now I really don't like it. When did you guys start seeing the issues, I saw one (OP) was at about 8 hours, but not info on the rest, unless I missed it. The boat I'm looking at has 50 hours on it, so just wondering if it were to be a problem it would have happened by now?

Also, the one that really scared me was the post that said the engine cut off and wouldn't restart. Since I plan on taking this to Bimini that REALLY worries me!!! Should I just go with one w/o a Connext?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Took my "err" reporting Yammer to Bimini last year. No issues with it, as I was never attempting to use the set starting modules (ballast, speed, start tempo).

BUT, my YES was coming due in Jan, so in early Dec it became a priority to resolve. They sent my 2 tach's out to be re-flashed, and that would fix the problem.

They did not validate that the fix worked (Winter), but have verbally guaranteed (makes me crazy!) that if it did not, that they would continue the work to resolve, under warranty.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Took my "err" reporting Yammer to Bimini last year. No issues with it, as I was never attempting to use the set starting modules (ballast, speed, start tempo).

BUT, my YES was coming due in Jan, so in early Dec it became a priority to resolve. They sent my 2 tach's out to be re-flashed, and that would fix the problem.

They did not validate that the fix worked (Winter), but have verbally guaranteed (makes me crazy!) that if it did not, that they would continue the work to resolve, under warranty.
Cool thanks. I need to look into the warranty and see how long this one is covered and how much an extended one would be. Like I said the Connext thing scares me... but the new hull design, sound deadening and stern storage really makes me want to go with the LSE. On the other hand I don't want the what I assume is about a 1500-2000 Connext to screw up after the warranty is up!!!!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FWIW it makes sense that a firware update to the tachs could work. They interpret the gps signal before sending to connext.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have we all confirmed that a Tach firmware update fixes the problem? My dealer is 3 hours away so I am wondering if they can send me new tachs and I can send the old ones back to them.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer tells me the problem is fixed but it has yet to be validated.

I will likely be testing this, this weekend (as Winter appears to have finally left VA).

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen can you let me know if you determine that it has been fixed? I assume your dealer is Fredericksburg Motor Sports? Unfortunately, the dealer I got my boat from is in Easton, MD which is about a 3hr drive from me in Fairfax.

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got my boat back from the dealer last week. They sent the tachs back to Yamaha for a reflash. I took the boat out yesterday and did not get any speed errors, so it looks like it has been fixed. The tachs developed a different problem, though. The LCD portion of the tachs is now unreadable and it looks as though the polarization of the screen is wrong. I have a video I'll try to post later.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen can you let me know if you determine that it has been fixed? I assume your dealer is Fredericksburg Motor Sports? Unfortunately, the dealer I got my boat from is in Easton, MD which is about a 3hr drive from me in Fairfax.
Yes, finally took by boat out for the Blue Angels in Annapolis on Wed.

"Err", is gone-

Bottom-line, re-flashing the tach's appears to have fixed the problem-

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, finally took by boat out for the Blue Angels in Annapolis on Wed.

"Err", is gone-

Bottom-line, re-flashing the tach's appears to have fixed the problem-
I wonder if my dealer will send me new Tachs and I can send mine back. The dealer I bought from is 3 hours a way and I really don't want to waste time while I wait for my Tachs to get sent back and reflashed. My understanding is that the boats won't run without the tachs installed.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Comes down to which is a greater pain.

-2 weeks without your boat in Summer
-Err msg all Summer

I decided last year to keep the Err msg all Summer and used Winter to lose the tachs for the few weeks to be re-flashed-

Glen

tfsnowrider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I got my boat back from the dealer last week. They sent the tachs back to Yamaha for a reflash. I took the boat out yesterday and did not get any speed errors, so it looks like it has been fixed. The tachs developed a different problem, though. The LCD portion of the tachs is now unreadable and it looks as though the polarization of the screen is wrong. I have a video I'll try to post later.
What dealer did you use @sapperfitz ? I might need my dealer to call your dealer so they can figure this out.

tfsnowrider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lynnwood Motoplex in Lynnwood, WA.
Thanks!

I just called them up and the service Tech was not familiar with the issue. Probably because it was five years ago! He did say that if I could provide the hull identification number,. He would look up the service record and see if he could get any more information for me. Is that something you would be willing to send on a DM?

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks!

I just called them up and the service Tech was not familiar with the issue. Probably because it was five years ago! He did say that if I could provide the hull identification number,. He would look up the service record and see if he could get any more information for me. Is that something you would be willing to send on a DM?
Check your DMs.

tfsnowrider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check your DMs.
Thank you. He saw the history of having sent the tachs but had no info about the firmware versions or anything like that. My local dealer is very confused by the whole thing so I was hoping to get him some info form someone familiar with teh issue. Not gonna work out. He recommended I bring it in so they can start troubleshooting etc. I live in VA so that's not an option. I'll have to chse it down with another dealer.