• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connex screen cracked

ChrisP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Towards the end of the summer my connex screen started cracking from the corners. By the end of the season it was cracked 3 inches from each corner. I brought it in to the dealer and they are replacing it under the warranty but I wanted to see if anyone else has had that issue. Wondering if I should be worried about it happening again.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Strange, unless the mounting screws/bolts are near each screen corner. I would guess somebody overtightened the screen in that case.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know yours is covered under warranty, but do you know the cost of the repair if you had to come out of pocket?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I asked the dealer about that and he guessed around $50,000 but that included installation.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Dang it, today I noticed I have a crack in the upper left corner of my screen. What the hell... Bumping post to see if this is an issue?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang it, today I noticed I have a crack in the upper left corner of my screen. What the hell... Bumping post to see if this is an issue?
Effing great...

--

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Towards the end of the summer my connex screen started cracking from the corners. By the end of the season it was cracked 3 inches from each corner. I brought it in to the dealer and they are replacing it under the warranty but I wanted to see if anyone else has had that issue. Wondering if I should be worried about it happening again.
I trying to figure out if under warrant, was it the yes warranty that covered it?

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the screen. Would you know if the heat of the sun weakened it while being on the water? Does anyone know if they sell some kind of cover that can be used to keep it clean and out of direct sun?

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My screen started with a little crack on both bottom edges of screen. Just inside as you can't feel a crack. By end of this season it's morphed into quite a sight. The wavy pattern in second pic is troubling to say the least. Sent pics to dealer, they're contacting Yamaha. I have the 5 yr warranty they offered when I bought the boat.

IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2382.JPG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My screen started with a little crack on both bottom edges of screen. Just inside as you can't feel a crack. By end of this season it's morphed into quite a sight. The wavy pattern in second pic is troubling to say the least. Sent pics to dealer, they're contacting Yamaha. I have the 5 yr warranty they offered when I bought the boat.

View attachment 83901 View attachment 83902
I'm watching! Is this cracking or de-lamination? Delamination has been reported before and was covered if I recall correctly.
Unfortunately YES warranty does not cover electronics or anything, really, but major mechanical failure due to manufacturing defect(s). The screen would only be covered under 1yr factory warranty. In my experience eihter warranty protections are at the mercy of Yamaha and/or the dealer, they can do/not do whatever they want.

--

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's doing whatever will be covered by warranty :). Seriously though, there isn't any peeling from the outside of the screen if that's what's meant by delamination. It all appears behind the glass.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Patriot I feel your pain. In my case I did get the unit replaced with YES warranty. But beware, in my case it was a long process, my local dealer service center said it wasn’t covered and I called YES directly. It took 5 calls, 2 trips to the dealer and 4 months of consistent follow up. So it wasn’t easy. My crack started in the same place yours did and it has to a be real issue and why they finally covered it.

In fact the new screen is not a hard glass type screen, it’s more of soft plastic type screen. So they changed the design.

If you get a new unit, be ware... in my case the dealer didn’t set up the software properly, so there was some control features missing for lights and wash down. Make sure to check at the dealer, before taking off, to make them get it programmed right. Also note that you engine hours will not be transferred so it’s like 9999 hours and after 1 minute of operation, the hours will be at zero. Just take a picture of your unit while on, with the engine hours shown, as help to remember your actual hours.

Then word of caution, the new unit can have delamination issue. What this means and what I found out was that when my unit was wet, I used my new connext fancy rubber screen cover / protector. It was hot and humid. What happened was the screen had large bubbles in it and the screen wouldn’t respond to touch... I was like holly s#!tt, it’s broken and there is no way they going to replace for this issue. I was lucky, as the screen dried out the bubbles (delamination) shrank and screen started to respond to touch, so I TOSSED my new fancy rubber screen cover in the trash...

Hope this insight helps you and others..

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Patriot I feel your pain. In my case I did get the unit replaced with YES warranty. But beware, in my case it was a long process, my local dealer service center said it wasn’t covered and I called YES directly. It took 5 calls, 2 trips to the dealer and 4 months of consistent follow up. So it wasn’t easy. My crack started in the same place yours did and it has to a be real issue and why they finally covered it.

In fact the new screen is not a hard glass type screen, it’s more of soft plastic type screen. So they changed the design.

If you get a new unit, be ware... in my case the dealer didn’t set up the software properly, so there was some control features missing for lights and wash down. Make sure to check st dealer to them to get it programmed right. Also note that you engine hours will not be transferred so it’s like 9999 hours and after 1mhlur of operation, the hours will be at zero. Just take a picture of your unit on with the engine hours shown, as help to remember your actual hours.

Then word of caution, the new unit can have delamination issue. What this means and what I found out was that when my unit was wet, I used my new connext fancy rubber screen cover / protector. It was hot and humid. What happened was the screen had large bubbles in it and the screen wouldn’t respond to touch... I was like holly s#!tt, it’s broken and there is no way they going to replace for this issue. I was lucky, as the screen dried out the bubbles (delamination) shrank and screen started to respond to touch, so I throw my new fancy rubber screen cover in the trash...

Hope this insight helps you and others..
Thank s for chiming in! Good info.

I have a feeling we will be hearing more on this...
In the meantime, I regularly douse my dash and screen in 303 AP, hoping for the best.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, great info. Thanks for sharing. This is already my 4th summer with the boat. Do my own maintenance and haven’t had to go back to the dealer yet. Other than this issue, love the boat.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crawled under the boat cover and partly into the helm access last week. Removed the connext screen. Dealer said Yamaha wants it sent to them to inspect. Bringing it to dealer tomorrow. Better than hauling the boat there I guess.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I brought the Connext screen to the dealer he looked at it and said it should be covered under warranty as it's defective. Other than following up with the dealer prior to the NE Boat Show I expected it to be covered. Yamaha had it for quite some time but I just received the new one from the dealer, no hassles. Have another 10 weeks, ugh, before the boat goes in so I'll update when I install it and test it out. The display appears to be glass as was the old one.

Shout out to Twin City Marine in RI also.