• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext Issues

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suggest you consider two factors, then, as to Connext failures: 1) how likely is the failure and 2) how consequential.

As is properly pointed out, no one comes on here to 'complain' that their Connext is working perfectly. So whatever information you have to guess at the first point is just anecdotal and may mean something or nothing. That said, I think I have 'heard' of more people with Connext issues than I have with timing chain or oil cooler bolt issues. No proof there, just an observation, but you may take it with a grain of salt.

However, the data on the second point is pretty solid: if your Connext fails, it seems to me to be pretty consequential. Lots of things are tied in and run from that system, including safety-critical ones (like nav lights).

One factor I took to consider in buying my AR240 was that the 2nd engine would be a 'backup' to the other one--basically I had redundancy. Connext seems to me to be a single point of failure with no redundancy and some fairly important systems at issue.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I agree and you are a wordsmith, well said. What's scary is almost all manufacturers are putting some form of touchscreen on there new boats and when the screen goes everything goes. And one other thing you are correct there has been way more "connext failure" post than timing chains.

ysidive

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suggest you consider two factors, then, as to Connext failures: 1) how likely is the failure and 2) how consequential.

As is properly pointed out, no one comes on here to 'complain' that their Connext is working perfectly. So whatever information you have to guess at the first point is just anecdotal and may mean something or nothing. That said, I think I have 'heard' of more people with Connext issues than I have with timing chain or oil cooler bolt issues. No proof there, just an observation, but you may take it with a grain of salt.

However, the data on the second point is pretty solid: if your Connext fails, it seems to me to be pretty consequential. Lots of things are tied in and run from that system, including safety-critical ones (like nav lights).

One factor I took to consider in buying my AR240 was that the 2nd engine would be a 'backup' to the other one--basically I had redundancy. Connext seems to me to be a single point of failure with no redundancy and some fairly important systems at issue.
I agree wholeheartedly and have written a letter to Yamaha expressing my concern that there is no backup for essential safety items... I believe that the minimum should be a manual switch for the bilge blower and lights... The bilge pump is wired to run when water is detected. I also have installed a second bilge pump wired direct to the battery with a fuse for protection... More of us should write Yamaha expressing concern for backups for safety systems... I have owned Yamaha products for quite some time and find them Bullet Proof for the most part... I feel the electronics are the Achiles tendon....

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
2019 AR 195 - Only issue is the clock (time) is frozen. All other functions and touch screen work good. Probably not worth taking it back in for warranty for just for the little clock. I wonder if there is a way to reset it?

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On the 210 FSH, the blower, Bildge, Lights, Acc, etc have manual switches, my Connext is just for info purposes. What I don't like is how I can see engine temps.

Mandiime

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Only issue I have had is difficulty getting bluetooth to connect to my phone on a 2019 212 ltds

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On the 210 FSH, the blower, Bildge, Lights, Acc, etc have manual switches, my Connext is just for info purposes. What I don't like is how I can see engine temps.
So they obviously know it’s a safety issue if they’re throwing manual switches on the boats more likely to be isolated and out on open water.
My 2018 has a manual blower switch, I’m surprised they were comfortable getting rid of that.

tonyGinFL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
2017 242, third season with 45hrs .. lost "touch" on 7-inch Connext.
Factory Reset/Re-calibrate (a dozen times) did not work. Screen is joystick accessible but a pain in the butt.

Nfinlay1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2017 242, third season with 45hrs .. lost "touch" on 7-inch Connext.
Factory Reset/Re-calibrate (a dozen times) did not work. Screen is joystick accessible but a pain in the butt.
I hope you bought the extended warranty. I got mine replaced 2 weeks before my 3 year warranty expired. It’s $2500 to replace out of warranty.