• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering jet boat but not sure

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And is it me or does every thread get better when @ClemsonTiger starts poasting?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And is it me or does every thread get better when @ClemsonTiger starts poasting?
You and I have far different versions of "better" :D :D

Back to topic though. One advantage that I think should be noted again for the OP (assuming they're still around and reading, which might be a longshot now) is the lack of, general ease of maintenance in a jet. I'm a mechanical engineer, and I love me a good complicated mechanism from time to time, but when it comes to things I have to maintain, simpler is better. It is, in my mind, no comparison between the amount of work required to keep my sterndrive afloat and mobile when compared to my jet. You have the same engine maintenance to deal with, but the drive is so much simpler. No hydraulic system, no bellows, no engine cooling impeller, and no drive oil. KISS principle reigns supreme here.

When shopping on layout and value, it's hard to beat a Yamaha, adding in lower maintenance costs just sweetens the pot IMO.

So whomever said "there's no reason to buy a sterndrive".....I agree. V-Drive, Jet, Outboard, Direct Drive all have better attributes IMO than a sterndrive. I still bought my first boat with one, and the industry sells a bunch of them, so clearly someone likes them.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I tend to agree. From my own perspective, I/O is the least desireable drive system from a maintenance/complexity standpoint. However, they put it on a lot of very, very nice boats.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've owned several I/Os and I can unequivocally say this Yamaha is far and away the easiest to maintain, most economical boat I have ever owned. I can pretty much tear my boat apart and put it back together again in my garage! Performance I'd say is on par with the other drive systems. And don't forget about the shallow draft on these boats, no outdrives and props to worry about...big deal where I play.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Coming from a newbie, advice to another Jet newbie... weeds suck. Went scalloping yesterday, which is inherently in weeds, about 8-10' depth. Nothing but weeds getting in the impeller and jet drive tube hole shot thingy. I even got a temperature warning on both engines and couldn't stop the constant beeping from the Connext unit.

The other family had an outdrive and had zero issues navigating the waters.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So whomever said "there's no reason to buy a sterndrive".....I agree. V-Drive, Jet, Outboard, Direct Drive all have better attributes IMO than a sterndrive. I still bought my first boat with one, and the industry sells a bunch of them, so clearly someone likes them.
The outboard and io can use trim. Trim is highly useful and makes a huge difference in the way the boat rides. Trim trabs are crap compared to actual propellor trim. They both have the most control in reverse. If you get stuck, you can trim up, and you get some early notice its too shallow before you get stuck. V drive and inboard can get stuck hard. Same with a jet if you can't see through the water (muddy or dark). Between outboard and io, the outboard is the clear winner. You can trim it out of the water, and the steering is above water.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Between outboard and io, the outboard is the clear winner. You can trim it out of the water, and the steering is above water.
I agree with o/b winning over any i/o - anyday. However, trimming out of the water completely is just not feasible, the lower unit still hangs down under the hull (in any conventional o/b).

I would personally always always always choose an outboard over anything else in a boat. No question. EXCEPT - for shallow water.

My past 10 years involves boating in shallow water, with 50% plus of all outings in one small river.

Of those 10 years I spend the first 6 in various outboard boats, left 3 or 4 lower units, or their parts, at the bottom of the Meramec river. Ruined props? I stopped counting...

The last 4 years has been in Yamaha jet boats, 2014-16 SX190, 2016-present AR240. Zero impact issues, as nothing is hanging..., albeit I still ruined 2 or 3 impellers due to gravel ingestion. I drive the jet boats way more shallow I would ever dare to venture with the outboards (the boats were all some kind of a 18-24' runabout).

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The outboard and io can use trim. Trim is highly useful and makes a huge difference in the way the boat rides. Trim trabs are crap compared to actual propellor trim. They both have the most control in reverse. If you get stuck, you can trim up, and you get some early notice its too shallow before you get stuck. V drive and inboard can get stuck hard. Same with a jet if you can't see through the water (muddy or dark). Between outboard and io, the outboard is the clear winner. You can trim it out of the water, and the steering is above water.
I'll give you control in reverse. The rest, meh. The only reason I've ever seen anyone trim up is for shallow water, or to attempt to get more speed. Typically shallow water is at low speed, and high trim leads to porpoise-ing unless the load is well balanced. Can't run either an OB or I/O with the outdrive trimmed out of the water. Aside from the lack of traction for the prop, you have a cooling water supply issue when you get those intakes dry.

IMO each drive has a good fit for a particular application, except the I/O setup. It's a poor compromise of complexity vs benefit. Significant complexity is added, for marginal benefits.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree on the I/O thoughts, but there is a lot of history.... They had an advantage way back when... Quietness and 4 stroke cheap auto engines were competitive in the past in spite of their many disadvantages and complexities.

Now with the new 4 stroke outboards, it's really tough for I/Os, but there was a time they made sense. (Or at least we more competitive)

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can probably get 5mph or 5-10%mpg with trim. Plane over, trim up. If it bounces, trim down. I'm on the trim the entire time with a Stern drive. You can probably move the water line back at least a foot if not two with just trim. That's way less boat in the water. It can make a boat fast and loose, or slow and plow like with 2 seconds on the button. The only thing similar on a jet is a diverter, but we don't get those. Trim is 90% of your bow attitude and the 10% trim tabs can help bring it down, but not up. I've spent a lot of time on my friends 18' 150 merc on a shallow river. Hit ground dozens of times. Trim up and float over. Same prop after at least 10 years.
The jet offers the super kick ass layout the Yamahas have. That's why i have one instead of an outboard. I've got thousands of hours driving outboards. They kick ass, but have a giant engine right in the way!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was sooooo confused. Then I saw the link at the bottom to show ignored content. I foolishly clicked on it. I understand the posts now and have reaffirmed my decision to ignore that person.
+1

Speedster

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
DJC Marine Technologies has developed 2 new intake grates, both patented. If anyone is interested in checking them out they can be seen on www.repellergrate.com Contact us with any questions, Dan would be happy to discuss our products with you!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
DJC Marine Technologies has developed 2 new intake grates, both patented. If anyone is interested in checking them out they can be seen on www.repellergrate.com Contact us with any questions, Dan would be happy to discuss our products with you!!
Very interesting!
Many questions:
Can you make those to fit Yamaha twins? What are the prices/any estimate?
May want to also repost this in the vendor forum?
I think there may be a lot of interest.
Would this work in sargasso?