• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering Outdoor/Uncovered Storage

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good morning all. Hope the world is treating everyone well this cold/crisp December morning. I had to scrape the windows for the first time this season. It sucks. I'm a tropical person, not a wintery person. I like sunlight and warmth, not so much the cold and dark of winter. We have a good life setup here though, so I'm not moving anytime soon.

Now, I have a garage. It's attached to the house, and would keep the precipitation OFF my car in the winter. There's a problem though. The two bays are currently occupied. One with my wifes car, which shall forever live in the garage unless I want to consider a divorce (I do not), the other with our boat. It's a great boat, we've had it for 5 full seasons now, and it's lived in our garage the whole time. SUPER convenient if I want to work on it, or just go sit in it in the garage and drink a beer to get a break from the shenanigans of having two small boys in the house. I like having the boat close by, however I'm starting to think I might like having my car in the garage more than the boat in the garage. So I'm considering moving the boat to an outdoor storage location.

Now, our previous boat, it was nice too. We really liked it. It was stored "semi-outdoors". It sat in my grandfathers garage with the nose poking out of the front. His garage was built in the 50's and had an atrociously leaky roof. It basically acted like a shade for keeping "most" of the things, and "most" of the sun off the boat. Here's a super grainy old picture to show what that looked like. We lived in a condo, and this spot was on the way to the lake, and gave us a reason to go visit grandad on a regular basis. It worked out well for us.
1638968411903.png

Grandad still has the garage, however there is no way our AR190 could fit in there. Even with the tower down it won't go. The opening is just over 74in high, and our last boat would JUST miss the header as we backed in. HOWEVER, I now work with a company that has some huge space in the back lot. There are a number of people that store boats and trailers back there. Here's what that looks like. I took this a few years ago when I parked the truck/boat back there before we left early on a Friday afternoon. The intent of the picture was to show how large some of our equipment is to friends/family, however it serves to illustrate the conditions for storage I'm consdering.
1638968696673.png

You can see the other trailers over there. There is a 24ft Crownline sitting there now as well. I've been told it's no problem to add mine into the collection, and they'll even furnish me with a "clicker" to get in and out of the gate as I see fit. The place is fairly secure overall. We have a single entrance into/out of the back lot, and it's surrounded with 7ft tall fence with razor wire on the top of it. We also have surveillance cameras on that entrance, as well as each side of the building that covers "most" of the fenceline that could be cut through to access the lot. We're in a relatively mixed business area with some heavy industry, and some commercial. You can barely see the boats/trailers from the road. Here's a street view. Boats and trailers are under the arrow. Even with all the employee cars missing you can barely see back there.
1638969631905.png

SO, my big concerns in moving the boat over here are snow loads when I'm not here to brush it off (weekends, etc), and UV protection for the cover. I have good radial tires on it, and I don't think those will care to sit over the winter. I've blown out the engine/water box, and am pretty confident on that as being adequate for winterization in this climate.

• Do I empty all the "stuff" out of the boat for the winter?
  • Do I need to be concerned with heat cycling and the condition of the tube/boards/ropes/vests?
  • I have the black "premium deluxe" mooring cover for it, and the straps/poles to keep the water out. Do I need to treat those ahead of time?
  • What about mice/critters getting into the boat?
    • How can I leave the drain plugs out (in case rain water gets in), and keep pests out?
    • I've heard that Steel Wool in the hole will work. Thoughts?
  • Should I support the cover somehow beyond the poles and straps to help with a snow load?
    • I'm in Louisville, KY and we don't get a lot of snow, and it's not very often, however we've had "sudden" storms come up every few years that will dump a foot on us overnight.
    • Maybe leave the tube blown up in the bow?
  • Anything I'm missing before I decide to park my prized toy in a gravel lot outdoors?
If we're comfortable with storing it here this winter, we might make it a permanent thing moving forward. It's free storage, and we can use the space in the garage for other stuff beyond my car. Of course if we upgrade we would have to make this decision anyway. For some reason I'm super nervous to put our mostly pristine boat out in a gravel lot and let it sit, despite being here literally 5/7 days a week to check on it.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't park it outside with that cover on. It was not intended for snow loads and may stretch or worse. Build a steep angled 2x4 frame over the boat with 2x4 dead men supporting the ridge. And either have it shrink wrapped for a couple of hundred bucks or throw a tarp over the frame and tie it down. I use half filled gallon jugs as weights to hold the cover down instead of tying the tarp tight to the hull where the grommets could scratch the gelcoat. I only fasten the tarp at the ridge. Shrink wrap is set it and forget it. I would empty most of my stuff out of the boat for security.

But I am coming from a Vermont snow load point of view.. It is not pretty, but it just needs to do the job.

20211109_134103.jpg

Last edited:

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My neighbor keeps his boat in one of these. Seems to hold up very nicely. Any chance they would let you put one up at work? Or just get a autostart for your car. I have 1 and love that thing. Start my car from inside the house and when I get out there the car is nice and toasty.
Storing boat outside in the elements is the last thing I would do.

IMG_9506.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@crazy4life Audi doesn't do remote start. Something about German laws not allowing it, or something like that. There are aftermarket modules to make it happen, but they're in the $2k range last time I looked. Stupid Audi. My Sierra had remote start and I loved it, of course it barely fit in the garage anyway, so it was a non-issue. Only had the TBSS for a single winter before upgrading to the Sierra.......Anyway.....I'm pretty certain I could put up one of those shelter things in the lot if I asked. No idea what they cost or where to get them. Have to go look around and see what I can find.

@zipper I don't think we get that kind of snow load here. You can see in our first picture was a "normal" snowfall would be. Only a few times a decade do we get more than 6-8in in a single hit, and it's usually gone pretty quickly. I do like the tarped solution though. I'm unsure if the company would throw a fit about me building something like that back there or not. Going to have to research and ask around a bit.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@crazy4life Audi doesn't do remote start. Something about German laws not allowing it, or something like that.
It would be more of a problem in a manual since clutch has to be engaged to start.
I loved my B6

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just buy a tarp big enough to wrap the boat tight and put it over the OE cover. Air up your tube for support but don't count on it to stay aired up all winter, maybe make PVC supports for under the cover. Most of the snow should just slide right off of it even with just the support poles(make sure the pole straps are good-n-tight). As for critters, I would use steel wool like you said, moth ball and put poison in it. One other thing to take into consideration is the interior of the boat will probably need a good cleaning compared to what your used to with the gravel dust and just being outside in general.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use to keep my trailerable sailboat on a gravel pad next to my garage. Didn't have a cover, so I would tarp over the mast that was laid down over the bow of the boat and had a crutch for the cockpit area. I then ran a rope through the tarp grommets and around the trailer frame.

Being next to the house, I always brushed the snow off the cover when I was clearing the driveway, decks, and sidewalks. One thing that will happen with a tarp is if there is any stretching of the tarp, as the snow melts it will puddle and then freeze into ice.

I have never seen the use of milk jugs, like in @zipper's post, but I really do like this idea for bigger boats, as the jugs will keep tension as the cover stretches and contracts.

I would offer, that it's not just the snow that's a concern, but also the rain as it will puddle inside the boat and freeze.

Personally, If I were storing a nice boat outside, especially at a remote site, I would empty it out and shrink wrap it. Maybe also consider using desiccants in the storage cubbies as well to prevent any mildew formation.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One comment about tarps would be that not all tarps are the same. Some tarps are waterproof while others are water resistant. The downside of a waterproof tarp is that they are not breathable. Thus, a water resistant tarp is often a better choice to use outdoors but you need to make sure the tarp surface slopes so that water doesn't pool (and get under the tarp.)

Jim

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A properly done shrink wrap job would be the best cover in that scenario. I mean, one that is done right with a proper frame to obtain a good pitch. NOT like this one we had done 2 years ago for way too much $$ for this "Shrink wrap crap".

They did not build a frame or apply enough heat to the wrap or use enough wrap.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get it shrinkwrapped and leave it out there. It's a boat, it'll be just fine.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A properly done shrink wrap job would be the best cover in that scenario. I mean, one that is done right with a proper frame to obtain a good pitch. NOT like this one we had done 2 years ago for way too much $$ for this "Shrink wrap crap".

They did not build a frame or apply enough heat to the wrap or use enough wrap.
I would agree with @zipper on the shrink wrap. I am on my second winter outside with the Yamaha Shipping cover and it works fantastic with poles up and straps under the cover. But once that goes I wouldn't use my mooring cover, I would get it shrink wrapped with proper poles and venting and call it good. Around here, you call them up and they show up at your house or wherever and take care of it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree with @zipper on the shrink wrap. I am on my second winter outside with the Yamaha Shipping cover and it works fantastic with poles up and straps under the cover. But once that goes I wouldn't use my mooring cover, I would get it shrink wrapped with proper poles and venting and call it good. Around here, you call them up and they show up at your house or wherever and take care of it.
I still have the shipping cover in the attic. I stopped using it because I trailer with the cover on, and it was getting a few small cracks and tears in it. Otherwise, it's still in decent condition, just figured it wouldn't survive another season of towing. Completely forgot it was up there.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get it shrinkwrapped and leave it out there. It's a boat, it'll be just fine.
Wife said the same thing basically...."It's a boat, isn't it supposed to be able to get wet?".....She's not wrong.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wife said the same thing basically...."It's a boat, isn't it supposed to be able to get wet?".....She's not wrong.
The problem is when that wet freezes. I have seen "popped" towers and other fixtures on boats shown on this site.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem is when that wet freezes. I have seen "popped" towers and other fixtures on boats shown on this site.
Yea, I get that as well. Stupid expanding cold water.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm out in the open 100% and my experience now with 2 aftermarket boat covers is that the UV kills them. After my OEM travel cover was tattered beyond any further repairs I've been through 2. The first lasted a year and the second was starting to show dust all over the boat a few months ago and the manufacturer sent me another. Now I'm double bagging with the newest under the second one.

I don't go for long periods of storage but on occasion I use those moisture driers that you can place in a closet on a hanger or the more industrial bucket size to keep the moisture out. If I was going long term I would pull all things out of the boat and keep it just an "airy" shell. Might even take home the cushions including the seats. I would keep bilge drains in, lube up the clean out plugs and find something to plug the water bypass and bilge outlets on the side. The blow up tubes is a good idea (I use mine) to prop up the bow area for run-off.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea, I get that as well. Stupid expanding cold water.
I am leaving mine outside, but under a large roof this winter. Not much snow to worry about here in NC. I fill up the cabin spaces with damprid. Get them at home depot or other box stores. I take everything out of the boat that might absorb water, odors, or get stolen. I don't want to give mold a chance to take hold.. I remove the batteries too. Prop open all hatches, etc, for some air flow.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am leaving mine outside, but under a large roof this winter. Not much snow to worry about here in NC. I fill up the cabin spaces with damprid. Get them at home depot or other box stores. I take everything out of the boat that might absorb water, odors, or get stolen. I don't want to give mold a chance to take hold.. I remove the batteries too. Prop open all hatches, etc, for some air flow.
I am outside covered storage also, sounds like we use the same check list. Damprid, open all hatches, I removed everything except the anchor. I still have my shipping cover that thing is a bitch to put on compared to the mooring cover. I posted this pic a few days ago decided to post again.
20211205_072414.jpg

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am outside covered storage also, sounds like we use the same check list. Damprid, open all hatches, I removed everything except the anchor. I still have my shipping cover that thing is a bitch to put on compared to the mooring cover. I posted this pic a few days ago decided to post again.
View attachment 168087
I probably stole the checklist from you, and it looks like we have the same trailer jack. That thing is rugged. I could not help but notice you left the handle attached. Being magnetic, I don't sleep well if I leave it there !