• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering Yamaha Boat Purchase

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks.

I have found 3-4 212SS or 212X in the $31k-$32k range, including the one I think you mentioned. Nobody in my family has ever wakeboarded so I am not opposed to having the tower or not. I guess I wouldn't mind having it just in case, but its far from a stickler.

With those low 30's pricing, I thought there may be a chance that cash could get one bought in the 20's, but again that's just thought that went through my mind. If I could get one say at 28k, I am not sure if I would do it or not. I would like to for sure, but its still more $$ to spend, especially for a first boat. I would have to think about it, for sure.

So for me, I see 3 different options to consider. Of course your experiences and comments are welcomed.

1) 2013-2015 AR192: Low $20's
2) ~2012 SX210: Low 20's
3) 2012-2014 212 SS/X: High 20's (If able to negotiate down from Low 30's)

I did not list a 4th option, which would be to go a bit older, like 2008-2010, in some of the boats, but I would prefer to stay a little newer if I am going to spend $20k+.

The 212 features and engines are very appealing, but the price and condition would be everything. I think there is a slim chance that I can find one and get it for what I would be willing to pay. I think the AR192's and the slightly older SX210's can be easily had for low 20's and maybe even approaching $20k. All seem to have good and bad traits. I would be open to a 195, but I do not see many of them and they all seemed to be much higher priced. I'm not sure what I would do if I had to decide right now.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was shopping, I would take a 212 or a 230, whichever best deal came in first. The 212's were harder to come by, and were rarer. The 212 was a bit shorter than the 230. so more powerful because of less weight. Personally, I looked for 8 months before I Landed the 230. With summer ending, more boats will come on the market. Winter is the best time to buy. Do not wait past late Feb, however, as the warmer weather increases people "kicking the tires" and the prices go up. Be patient. Get a well cared for twin engine, be it a 212 or a 230. I think a 240 will be alot more pricier. Again, do not shy away from a 2008 or 2009 model. As I stated, I turn the key on my 08 and go. No issues. Also, if an owner gives you an excuse as to why his boat isn't clean, I'd walk away as that is BS. He either took care of it, or didn't. Especially if selling and he is displaying "dirt?" That is a red flag he didn't baby it as 99% of us on this forum do. lol that guy looking to sell you his boat obviously didnt see my video about "Totally Awesome!"

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@djtech2k It seems like you may have a preconceived misconception that sellers will drop the price thousands of dollars because you have “cash”. As a private seller I personally don’t care if you show up with a briefcase full of cash, a wheelbarrow of quarters, a personal check or a cashiers check. Either way we are going to my bank to confirm the funds, once the funds are secured then we get the title notarized.
My impression with dealers is they don’t really care either. If anything a dealer would actually be upset if you showed up with a briefcase full of cash, as cash purchases over $10K (I think?) require a tremendous amount of paperwork as the IRS wants to know how/why you have that money. If you don’t have the money they have people on staff that fill out online forms all day long and are more than happy to arrange financing for you. They aren’t going to drop the price by 1000’s of dollars because you save one employee 15 min of work. When something like a boat is financed, the dealer gets a check from the bank, the bank is the one taking the risk not the dealer.
I’m not telling you all this to be snarky but to inform you so you have realistic expectations. Don’t be dissappointed that people are not falling to their knees thanking you for your lowball “cash” offer. Ok that was a little snarky there, my apologies :cigar:

Keep shopping and take a ride on these boats if you haven’t already. Sometimes we have mental images of what things are and what they will be without any real experiences to back them up. You may sea trial a 19ft boat and hate it. You may sea trial a 212 and hate that too and end up buying a motorcycle. But better to test these things out before laying down your money.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@djtech2k It seems like you may have a preconceived misconception that sellers will drop the price thousands of dollars because you have “cash”. As a private seller I personally don’t care if you show up with a briefcase full of cash, a wheelbarrow of quarters, a personal check or a cashiers check. Either way we are going to my bank to confirm the funds, once the funds are secured then we get the title notarized.
My impression with dealers is they don’t really care either. If anything a dealer would actually be upset if you showed up with a briefcase full of cash, as cash purchases over $10K (I think?) require a tremendous amount of paperwork as the IRS wants to know how/why you have that money. If you don’t have the money they have people on staff that fill out online forms all day long and are more than happy to arrange financing for you. They aren’t going to drop the price by 1000’s of dollars because you save one employee 15 min of work. When something like a boat is financed, the dealer gets a check from the bank, the bank is the one taking the risk not the dealer.
I’m not telling you all this to be snarky but to inform you so you have realistic expectations. Don’t be dissappointed that people are not falling to their knees thanking you for your lowball “cash” offer. Ok that was a little snarky there, my apologies :cigar:

Keep shopping and take a ride on these boats if you haven’t already. Sometimes we have mental images of what things are and what they will be without any real experiences to back them up. You may sea trial a 19ft boat and hate it. You may sea trial a 212 and hate that too and end up buying a motorcycle. But better to test these things out before laying down your money.
I completely understand all that and know the risk. I do understand that in some ways even a dealer won’t care about how you pay. Ultimately, the seller has to want to sell at whatever price. The “cash” part that I speak of is not special because of the form of payment. What is does show is that I am a for real buyer who is capable of buying. It shows that I am not wasting the sellers time and shows a commitment. As I have sold and managed sellers before, all too often people want to shop and negotiate but ultimately cannot buy/finance.

I do not expect that people will fall over and offer any price I want. That’s part of buying or selling anything. I do think that under some circumstances people may want to complete a sale for one reason or another. For example, I see multiple postings that say “Just make an offer”. That may mean they will reduce by $200, but it may not.

In the end, I may not get a lower price but you never know. If I could find a better deal on a better boat and it works for me, then that’s great. If not, then I have lost nothing in trying. I realize that in some cases I am working in “what if” scenarios.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As I am looking around keeping an open mind on different models and years of boats, I am a little unsure about a few things so I thought I would ask you guys. Here is what I know or think I know lol.

AR192 is the single 19' 1800cc HO engine and a tower.
SX210 is the 21' with the twin 1050cc engines.
212x/ss is the 21' with twin 1800cc HO engines.

Here is where I am a little unsure. If I were to consider an older boat, like 2008 that some of you mentioned, then I am unsure. For example, what is the difference between the SX230, 232 Limited, and 212X? I know the 21' vs 23'. I guess I am unsure about the engines/HP/speed difference of the older boats. I know I do prefer the look of the newer model better, BUT that is only one of many factors.

Although I have not been in these boats, I feel like I really do not need 23' but I am being open-minded. I think I could end up with anything from 19'-23' in the end, but 21' might be the most perfect. Again, just a guess at this point, but trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One other thing I have forgotten to ask...

What are the shipping costs of a boat like? Any suggestions on a company to use for shipping?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AR192 is the single 19' 1800cc HO engine and a tower.
AR192/AR195 has a single 1.8L SUPERCHARGED engine and tower
AR190 has single 1.8L Normally Aspirated engine and tower

Otherwise I think you got it......I'm not up on my previous model details, someone else will have to help there..

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone know what the older boats are like, like the 232 limited, 230, and 212x?

Also, any experiences with companies that ship boats? I’m trying to estimate shipping costs is I went that way.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want a bigger boat and don't mind something older, There are many 230 series boats still out there providing great service. The price difference between 2009 and 2010 is pretty big because of the model change/upgrade. for 23FT boats, 2006 was the last year of the lower gunwale/lighter hull and 2007+ is a heavier slightly bigger boat. before 07 you could have your choice of engine between 140 or 160 HP. The 160 HP states HIGH OUTPUT on the tachometers among other markings to tell them apart. 07+ they were all equipped with 160HP engines.

I'm partial to the pointed nose vs the wider noise/mini tri hull effect, and the cheaper price of the 09 and earlier 230s. The 1.8 engine in the newer boats is a newer bigger engine that revs lower for the same speed, and it costs less for Yamaha to make it. The older MR-1 was a lower displacement higher revving engine that uses a gear reducer. It's a little more complex and more expensive to make, and has been very reliable overall, but as with everything, some have found difficulty in replacing a blown engine because Yamaha does not sell them whole/crated so if a failure occurs you are left to rebuild locally or buy re manufactured.

I purchased a 2008 SX230 on 2016 and it was a great buy. The boat has been very good to me, and it was NOT expensive. Boat has been pretty solid and reliable. Almost everything that has gone wrong has been my fault as part of learning it. I did have a Starter Relay go bad, and with the board's help I was able tor replace myself with zero boating downtime.

Best of Luck! Look at all your options and figure out what you like, what you want and how much you are willing to pay, and how much work are you willing to do yourself. My humble recommendation? Buy a solid used boat and pay cash for any repairs. Warranty work is the pits generally, with some exceptions for great dealers out there. With your savings on an out of warranty boat that is solid and has minimal common issues, you will likely come out way ahead.