• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Corrosion and Water Damage to Radio Control Unit - Any Suggestions?

rockinthesuburbs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hello - new 195S user here.

I was getting a USB Overload from my radio the last trip and then the Connex screen showed lock icons next to all the input sources. A little digging on the forum showed another user with a similar issue being the fuse blown on the control unit on the swim platform. I removed the radio and found the USB plug not fully seated with some corrosion/rust (explains the overload). Further inspection shows similar issues in the satellite radio port (not currently used) and the antenna as well as feeling damp to the touch. I unplugged the unit and water dripped out of the radio as I was pulling it out. The fuse looks good and I don't see any water or corrosion in the main cannon plugs/power section which is good. I did see a little section on the corner of the LCD screen that I hadn't noticed before either which is concerning.

My plan is to try and clean out the corrosion as best I can and then let it dry out overnight and try it in the morning to see if I can connect to the radio. Any suggestions on what else to do? I'm also going to contact the dealer but I doubt a radio would be in stock or a priority fix. Thinking an after-season repair item, however, that means going without music unless I get a temporary unit installed. Are there better receivers I can look at? Thanks!

Attachments

• Antenna Water and Corrosion.JPG
    Antenna Water and Corrosion.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Connectors .JPG
    Connectors .JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • Fuse Back.JPG
    Fuse Back.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • Radio Screen Damage.JPG
    Radio Screen Damage.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • USB Corrosion.JPG
    USB Corrosion.JPG
    904.4 KB · Views: 42
  • USB Water and Corrosion.JPG
    USB Water and Corrosion.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Hello - new 195S user here.

I was getting a USB Overload from my radio the last trip and then the Connex screen showed lock icons next to all the input sources. A little digging on the forum showed another user with a similar issue being the fuse blown on the control unit on the swim platform. I removed the radio and found the USB plug not fully seated with some corrosion/rust (explains the overload). Further inspection shows similar issues in the satellite radio port (not currently used) and the antenna as well as feeling damp to the touch. I unplugged the unit and water dripped out of the radio as I was pulling it out. The fuse looks good and I don't see any water or corrosion in the main cannon plugs/power section which is good. I did see a little section on the corner of the LCD screen that I hadn't noticed before either which is concerning.

My plan is to try and clean out the corrosion as best I can and then let it dry out overnight and try it in the morning to see if I can connect to the radio. Any suggestions on what else to do? I'm also going to contact the dealer but I doubt a radio would be in stock or a priority fix. Thinking an after-season repair item, however, that means going without music unless I get a temporary unit installed. Are there better receivers I can look at? Thanks!
I have the same HU, and so far have not had that issue. But I think after seeing your issue, I will go caulk around the HU and double check for corrosion. Looks like you have a boat still under warranty? Is the gasket that is supposed to be there to prevent water intrusion on the HU? Let the dealer know. they should replace it and may have something for you to use in the meantime. Might also post a wanted ad on the forum. Seems like I remember some peeps doing upgrades and may still have their old HU.

Good call on the caulking - I would think the gasket would prevent enough getting in at least in large amounts. It seems in good shape and not sure where it would be coming in from. I still have some clear silicone caulk from doing my bathroom remodel that I'll throw in to help prevent future issues.

Yes still under warranty so will definitely reach out to the dealer tomorrow - I'm just not hopeful that they'd have a new one in stock and ready to go.

Good call on the caulking - I would think the gasket would prevent enough getting in at least in large amounts. It seems in good shape and not sure where it would be coming in from. I still have some clear silicone caulk from doing my bathroom remodel that I'll throw in to help prevent future issues.

Yes still under warranty so will definitely reach out to the dealer tomorrow - I'm just not hopeful that they'd have a new one in stock and ready to go.
Good luck! My guess is your right to be pessimistic.

As you caulk, maybe leave a gap at the bottom for water to escape if it enters. Too many times it seals water in, making it more likely to be a problem.

Did you pull this straight off the swim deck or have to go through the clean out port/maintenance plate? Have a 195s also.

Cleaned the swim deck marine mat yesterday and got that radio wet during a rinse. Was wondering how waterproof it is. Now I'm thinking I need to get in there as a preventative.

Did you pull this straight off the swim deck or have to go through the clean out port/maintenance plate? Have a 195s also.

Cleaned the swim deck marine mat yesterday and got that radio wet during a rinse. Was wondering how waterproof it is. Now I'm thinking I need to get in there as a preventative.
Absolutely fine to get it wet on the outside. We have surf waves wash over it every time someone goes down and we slow and turn. You can pull straight from the swimdeck. Also access from port aft storage if you remove the divider and crawl in there. No need though. All the wires are zip tied to the top of the transom compartment. There is space below the back of the HU so it shouldn’t be submerged unless you take a lot of water on and your bilge doesn’t keep up.

Attachments

• E2AEF218-8ABB-455C-953C-2E3971452BDA.jpeg
    E2AEF218-8ABB-455C-953C-2E3971452BDA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • 858AD456-7E63-421A-81FA-C99EAC3D4A2A.jpeg
    858AD456-7E63-421A-81FA-C99EAC3D4A2A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
Thinking I’ll put a thin bead of caulk behind the rubber gasket, and while I’m at it treat the connectors with some dialectic..

another item related..Anyone figured out a way to keep the grey rubber HU radio cover from falling off? Seems like the only time it’s useful is during mooring. And even then you have to remember to take it of when you use the boat or trailer.

Last edited:
Update- spoke with Yamaha about this after talking to dealer to confirm. The radio is covered under the warranty- however, for the first year claims need to be submitted to Fusion and the radio sent in. Claims can only be submitted by a dealership (considering trying to reach out to fusion to verify). Yamaha will cover the parts and labor to overhaul the unit directly to fusion or send a replacement. After the first year of this were to happen again then it just goes through Yamaha.
So process would be to have the dealer take the radio and work with fusion from that point. Fusion would then evaluate if unit can be repaired or send a replacement. In the meantime I wouldn’t be able to use the boat without plugging the hole in the transom somehow. Who knows how long it will take from there.
Options are to wait until season is over to do this and go without a radio or fork out for a new one (approx. $300 + shipping) which is sounding like the best option at this point than dealing with the hassle.
B.O.A.T. Is quickly becoming a reality haha!

Worst case, cheapest cutting board from Walmart, cut to size, bolt in. Ready for weekend.

Don't waste a weekend due to hole present.

I had to replace my head unit on my seadoo about every other year. Currently try to sell it and just ordered another one… unfortunately the only ones that will fit are single dins and they rust.

My house was destroyed in floods, so I moved out and shifted my base to a different area. But after the floods, there were many activities that I had to do like shifting my house, etc. So it took a lot of time.
Did you mean to post that in another thread? Seems weirdly out of context. Also, that 1995 JetCraft at 28ft long sounds interesting, can you share some info on it? Sorry you got flooded.

Buy same radio send it for warranty then sell it, same thing happened to me RA70, on the replacement unit i spray the terminals with corrocuin X never an issue again

Taking this approach. Bought the new radio and was delivered on Friday just in time for the weekend. Dropped off the bad radio at the dealer on Saturday so we'll see how long it takes to get a new unit. Was nice to have some tunes on the boat again!

Taking this approach. Bought the new radio and was delivered on Friday just in time for the weekend. Dropped off the bad radio at the dealer on Saturday so we'll see how long it takes to get a new unit. Was nice to have some tunes on the boat again!
Spray the connections with corrosion x it wont rust again

UPDATE- Radio #2 is down for the same problem!! About a half hour into wakeboarding started getting popping sounds from the speakers followed by the USB overload message on the connext screen and head unit. When we came back in I took out the radio and water was present on the backside of the unit. In troubleshooting how water was getting in I tried to remove the maintenance access from the transom minus 1 stuck screw (a separate and annoying issue in itself) and found missing sealant on the corner directly above the radio (see picture).

Luckily I bought the radio from Amazon and I have a replacement unit set to arrive on Friday and this trip I hit 10 hrs so down for service anyways (kit comes on Thursday). Also the water was perfect and minus the radio was the best trip we’ve had so far.

One new issue I had was that the connext showed a warning of “Communication error” for both the audio system and the depth transponder. This makes me wonder if I have a bigger wiring issue or if there’s another fuse location that I need to check.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure water is not going to reach the radio unit? Should I apply any caulk to the screws when I get the stuck one out or is that overkill?

Thanks for your help- hopefully third time’s a charm! (Knock on wood and fingers crossed and whatever other voodoo I can take)

Cheers!

Attachments

• C51909BC-FE42-494D-B681-6D8D1B065486.jpeg
    C51909BC-FE42-494D-B681-6D8D1B065486.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
UPDATE- Radio #2 is down for the same problem!! About a half hour into wakeboarding started getting popping sounds from the speakers followed by the USB overload message on the connext screen and head unit. When we came back in I took out the radio and water was present on the backside of the unit. In troubleshooting how water was getting in I tried to remove the maintenance access from the transom minus 1 stuck screw (a separate and annoying issue in itself) and found missing sealant on the corner directly above the radio (see picture).

Luckily I bought the radio from Amazon and I have a replacement unit set to arrive on Friday and this trip I hit 10 hrs so down for service anyways (kit comes on Thursday). Also the water was perfect and minus the radio was the best trip we’ve had so far.

One new issue I had was that the connext showed a warning of “Communication error” for both the audio system and the depth transponder. This makes me wonder if I have a bigger wiring issue or if there’s another fuse location that I need to check.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure water is not going to reach the radio unit? Should I apply any caulk to the screws when I get the stuck one out or is that overkill?

Thanks for your help- hopefully third time’s a charm! (Knock on wood and fingers crossed and whatever other voodoo I can take)

Cheers!
I’m having the same issue. Radio error popped up the last time out and everything is locked out. Just started up this morning and had the depth transducer error. Took it for an hour ride and depth worked and no more error about it. But radio still locked out in connext screen because it won’t power up from the platform. Thanks for posting this bc I’ve been looking for some help too.

Back