• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Couple questions on boat weight and hitch setup.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That hitch looks a bit like an Australian one that I’ve seen before. It appears that the hitch pictured has more articulation in the Y axis or roll axis.
The guy in the video is from New Zealand as best I can tell. Would make sense to have an Aussie hitch on it.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the Q7 for the same reason, I see MAYBE 1 or 2 others each day. There are 6 Durangos on my street alone.
LOL, that's her biggest complaint, there's just so many of them out there. She wanted something that's a little more unique, but it just wasn't in the cards.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, just a quick plug for trucks... my 06 Dodge Cummins 2500 with over 200,000 miles is still very dependable. With nothing more than a Firepunk Diesel transmission to hold the power, and a tune, I'm getting almost 500hp, and about 900ft/lbs of torque on max tune. I rarely crank it up that high (tune has 5 settings, simple dial switch that mounts on the dash), but when I do, she flat out goes. If I wanted to get crazy, for about 6k, I could get head studs, turbo, and injectors, putting her at somewhere around 1,000hp, 2,000ft/lbs torque. **If** stuff like that tickles your giblets, diesels are a freaking blast, while remaining great daily drivers. Your needs differ from mine, but even if I didn't have a camper or boat, I'd just have to have a diesel truck.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think when they drop the turbo i6 into the ram it will do what you want it to. What you should really do is try to drive a tuned 3.5L ecoboost or powerboost. A 93 tune on those gets you to circa 500hp without much else done. You definitely don't have the instant zip of an NA or supercharged motor, but you get a lot of grunt.

The zippiness you talk about is partially the suspension being lower, but then you're looking at offroad models.

Fwiw, I noticed a big handling improvement when I ditched the rear bags in the tbss. I don't think inbound get behind another air ride vehicle, had it in my GC and didn't like it, the tbss had it in the rear and didn't love it... steel springs are just stiffer and I prefer them.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think when they drop the turbo i6 into the ram it will do what you want it to. What you should really do is try to drive a tuned 3.5L ecoboost or powerboost. A 93 tune on those gets you to circa 500hp without much else done. You definitely don't have the instant zip of an NA or supercharged motor, but you get a lot of grunt.
Would love to get a ride/drive in one. I'm sure the Ecoboost's are plenty capable. Watched a Ford Flex with a tune (but otherwise stock) crack off some 12 second passes at Beach Bend a few years ago. I'm sure there's power to be made with an engine that is already designed to handle sustained load (towing) under boost without meltdown

I hate Fords current interiors though. That giant screen with the 1/2 dial button thing, not for me. The console shifter that electrically folds, the gauges in the XLT (The digital cluster isn't terrible). Just not a place I want to sit in for many hours a day. Honestly, don't like the '19-'21 GMC interiors either. That crappy rubberized button feeling, and the overly upright design of the center stack is just poor aesthetics for me. I'll miss my panoramic sunroof if I go GMC. I agree that's a huge oversight from GM at this price point. I'm sure I would be just fine, but it's not great. Really like the Titan interior in general, and the RAM isn't terrible either, but I don't like the gauge cluster. Font and gauge surrounds aren't my style. I really like the Tundra interior from pictures, but haven't found one to sit in yet. Maybe I'll swing by the dealership tomorrow on the way to biking.

The zippiness you talk about is partially the suspension being lower, but then you're looking at offroad models.
Oh, no doubt I'm talking about competing priorities here. My daily drive I want to be zippy and fun. I also have delusions of "overlanding" with a fullsize pickup and camping in the mountains out west. Doubt I'll ever do that, but I think I might one day, maybe, if I win the lottery.......so of course I need to base my buying decision on that right? :D </sarcasm>

Fwiw, I noticed a big handling improvement when I ditched the rear bags in the tbss. I don't think inbound get behind another air ride vehicle, had it in my GC and didn't like it, the tbss had it in the rear and didn't love it... steel springs are just stiffer and I prefer them.
Oh, no doubt here. I love the handling on a steel suspension, love the adjustability and versatility of the air-ride system. My Q7 doesn't ride great, and handles acceptably because of the height and the dampers, the spring rate is ALL wrong at that height.

Here's another thought.......that my wife brought up........Get the truck, and then find a cheap motorcycle for being zippy on the weekends and random days to the office. I've been talking about wanting one for a decade anyway. We're in a place now where I don't have to ALWAYS cart kids around, and can take a day or two during the week to commute in and ride in the afternoon. Maybe that's the answer?!?!?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOL, that's her biggest complaint, there's just so many of them out there. She wanted something that's a little more unique, but it just wasn't in the cards.
I've always had unique stuff and never really got this. I've never bought so.ething because it was u ique, I bought it ciz I liked it.

That said, there's not much unique around here. It's probably location specific, but the most unique option here probably is Durango. There's 4 or so q7 in our daycare alone. The x7 is common, the gls is probably next least common..tons of tahoes, expeditions, explorers, wagoneers, etc. Honestly, the o ly option I don't see fairly regularly are the Maserati Levant and alfa stelvio. I see more bentaygas and urus than those.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always had unique stuff and never really got this. I've never bought so.ething because it was u ique, I bought it ciz I liked it.

That said, there's not much unique around here. It's probably location specific, but the most unique option here probably is Durango. There's 4 or so q7 in our daycare alone. The x7 is common, the gls is probably next least common..tons of tahoes, expeditions, explorers, wagoneers, etc. Honestly, the o ly option I don't see fairly regularly are the Maserati Levant and alfa stelvio. I see more bentaygas and urus than those.
You fancy!

Us Midwest people haven't seen a Lambo in decades, if ever!

Also.....another thought. I rode in coworkers eTron at lunch. Holy shitballs, if I hate the console I have now, I would hate that one even worse. Oof, it's not great at all.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would love to get a ride/drive in one. I'm sure the Ecoboost's are plenty capable. Watched a Ford Flex with a tune (but otherwise stock) crack off some 12 second passes at Beach Bend a few years ago. I'm sure there's power to be made with an engine that is already designed to handle sustained load (towing) under boost without meltdown

I hate Fords current interiors though. That giant screen with the 1/2 dial button thing, not for me. The console shifter that electrically folds, the gauges in the XLT (The digital cluster isn't terrible). Just not a place I want to sit in for many hours a day. Honestly, don't like the '19-'21 GMC interiors either. That crappy rubberized button feeling, and the overly upright design of the center stack is just poor aesthetics for me. I'll miss my panoramic sunroof if I go GMC. I agree that's a huge oversight from GM at this price point. I'm sure I would be just fine, but it's not great. Really like the Titan interior in general, and the RAM isn't terrible either, but I don't like the gauge cluster. Font and gauge surrounds aren't my style. I really like the Tundra interior from pictures, but haven't found one to sit in yet. Maybe I'll swing by the dealership tomorrow on the way to biking.

Oh, no doubt I'm talking about competing priorities here. My daily drive I want to be zippy and fun. I also have delusions of "overlanding" with a fullsize pickup and camping in the mountains out west. Doubt I'll ever do that, but I think I might one day, maybe, if I win the lottery.......so of course I need to base my buying decision on that right? :D </sarcasm>

Oh, no doubt here. I love the handling on a steel suspension, love the adjustability and versatility of the air-ride system. My Q7 doesn't ride great, and handles acceptably because of the height and the dampers, the spring rate is ALL wrong at that height.

Here's another thought.......that my wife brought up........Get the truck, and then find a cheap motorcycle for being zippy on the weekends and random days to the office. I've been talking about wanting one for a decade anyway. We're in a place now where I don't have to ALWAYS cart kids around, and can take a day or two during the week to commute in and ride in the afternoon. Maybe that's the answer?!?!?
Unpopular opinion based on living in FL... I wouldn't buy a bike having kids. I got people depending on me, and so I both need to and want to be around for them. YMMV, but in my area a bike is sitting on death row.

The new f150 should have used the rotary shifter from expedition IMO, the power finger is dumb. I think thendigital gauges look cheap, the jeep ones are way better looking, as are the Germans. Overall I prefer Last gen f150 interior to current, but I had that interior in my 15 and now in our expedition.

Honestly, I think that i6 is going to really help out ram. The 5.7 just doesn't feel like enough nowadays, amd for whatever reason they keep cucking us with the 392 in a ram.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You fancy!

Us Midwest people haven't seen a Lambo in decades, if ever!

Also.....another thought. I rode in coworkers eTron at lunch. Holy shitballs, if I hate the console I have now, I would hate that one even worse. Oof, it's not great at all.
They're honestly really ugly in person. Like a q8 but uglier. The atlas cross sport nailed this aesthetic best of the, despite being on a totally unrelated platform.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unpopular opinion based on living in FL... I wouldn't buy a bike having kids. I got people depending on me, and so I both need to and want to be around for them. YMMV, but in my area a bike is sitting on death row.

The new f150 should have used the rotary shifter from expedition IMO, the power finger is dumb. I think thendigital gauges look cheap, the jeep ones are way better looking, as are the Germans. Overall I prefer Last gen f150 interior to current, but I had that interior in my 15 and now in our expedition.

Honestly, I think that i6 is going to really help out ram. The 5.7 just doesn't feel like enough nowadays, amd for whatever reason they keep cucking us with the 392 in a ram.
I wouldn't commute every day on a bike. Might ride it once a week in the summer to work/home. Most of my riding (that I already do on someone else's bike) is weekend fun rides on rural roads away from town. Avoid the expressway and traffic like the plague. Too many people not paying enough attention to ride around them on a regular basis. Our biggest risks on normal rides are gravel, deer, and tractors.

Been googling around this afternoon avoiding work while on management to approve my $8.9mil equipment quote......Found a couple AT4's to look at this weekend. Also found an eTron to go drive and poke around on. One lot with an AT4 has a RAM sitting around as well. Might drive that one while I'm there. We'll see what shakes out.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They're honestly really ugly in person. Like a q8 but uglier. The atlas cross sport nailed this aesthetic best of the, despite being on a totally unrelated platform.
Agreed. The Urus is NOT great looking.

I like the Atlas aesthetics, but it doesn't have the driveline/towing chops IMO.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. The Urus is NOT great looking.

I like the Atlas aesthetics, but it doesn't have the driveline/towing chops IMO.
5k pounds. Probably enough for your boat, but not a ton of buffer for a bigger boat. It's a definitely not what I would buy as a dedicated tow vehicle, but probably fine as a "tow our pontoon sometimes" kinda thing

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking around online this morning contemplating a car purchase.......mostly because I have vehicular ADD more than anything else......Found this video:

Have a couple of questions from some resident guru's.......

1. How much do you think that boat/trailer combo weighs? I'm guessing that's in the 20ft range, and with a tandem axle trailer maybe in the 5k lb range?!?! Comments say it's 1750kg, which converts to ~3,850lbm. Seems light to me.

2. What in the SamHill is going on with this hitch setup? I see a master cylinder, and a manual actuation, as well as some whack-a-doo coupler device. I've been dragging trailers around for 20+ years now and have never seen anything like this before.

View attachment 190271

Looks like he got ~95miles on about 80% charge. That's not great, but not terrible either.
Here is your hitch. Looks like it does what you said, manual parking brake. Otherwise similar to what we have, just on the outside. It has a “padlock locking” feature. I wonder if that is just on the ball or the parking brake too? @HangOutdoors you could get rid of your boot! :)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't commute every day on a bike. Might ride it once a week in the summer to work/home. Most of my riding (that I already do on someone else's bike) is weekend fun rides on rural roads away from town. Avoid the expressway and traffic like the plague. Too many people not paying enough attention to ride around them on a regular basis. Our biggest risks on normal rides are gravel, deer, and tractors.

Been googling around this afternoon avoiding work while on management to approve my $8.9mil equipment quote......Found a couple AT4's to look at this weekend. Also found an eTron to go drive and poke around on. One lot with an AT4 has a RAM sitting around as well. Might drive that one while I'm there. We'll see what shakes out.
The thing I struggle with is the "when you have it" utility of a truck. Sometimes you just need a bed, and often, you need it right then.

For me, outside of the God awful interior, the explorer ST is a big win. It'd do most everything I need, sounds great with the thermal r and d 3" exhaust, great chassis, pretty quick, and used ones are starting to creep back to reality as inventory has improved. New they're insanely overpriced, but what isn't? But it just doesn't work for the times you just need a bed. It's a pity the ranger is such garbage and doesn't offer an ST model. Or better yet, an F150 ST with an uprated version of the 3.5L with like 470hp (right now you can only get the 440hp version, and the only different between the 370 hp version and the 440hp version is tune and the plastic cover on top).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The thing I struggle with is the "when you have it" utility of a truck. Sometimes you just need a bed, and often, you need it right then.

For me, outside of the God awful interior, the explorer ST is a big win. It'd do most everything I need, sounds great with the thermal r and d 3" exhaust, great chassis, pretty quick, and used ones are starting to creep back to reality as inventory has improved. New they're insanely overpriced, but what isn't? But it just doesn't work for the times you just need a bed. It's a pity the ranger is such garbage and doesn't offer an ST model. Or better yet, an F150 ST with an uprated version of the 3.5L with like 470hp (right now you can only get the 440hp version, and the only different between the 370 hp version and the 440hp version is tune and the plastic cover on top).
I've not been super impressed with the ST. Feels like it should hit harder than it does, and you're right the interior is really not great. I also think it should have a higher tow rating than it does. It finds the same fate as the Durango for me too; can't swing a stick without hitting one around here. We have (2) Ford factories in town (Escape and SuperDuty/Navigator/Expedition) so there are a LOT of A-Plan buyers around, and the Explorer ST is a popular choice.

I did expect them to be a bit faster than they are. Put about 4-5car lengths on one the other day at 115-ish from a stop/left turn to an on ramp. I had 2-3 cars as the light turned and he faded another car or so. I somewhat expected a better top end than the Q7, but it was a fairly even match. They say it'll do the 1/4 in 13.9. My SS did it in 14.0 and my Q7 did it in 14.3. the Q7 had a higher trap speed at 103, with the SS at 99, and I can't find a number for the ST. What does the SRT D'ango do it in?

I 110% get the premise of needed a bed "right now". I've thought about getting a utility trailer to back up the SUV for "bed stuff", but it's just another thing to manage in an already long list of logistical decisions to be made during the day. Having the bed always there is part of what makes a pickup super convenient.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've not been super impressed with the ST. Feels like it should hit harder than it does, and you're right the interior is really not great. I also think it should have a higher tow rating than it does. It finds the same fate as the Durango for me too; can't swing a stick without hitting one around here. We have (2) Ford factories in town (Escape and SuperDuty/Navigator/Expedition) so there are a LOT of A-Plan buyers around, and the Explorer ST is a popular choice.

I did expect them to be a bit faster than they are. Put about 4-5car lengths on one the other day at 115-ish from a stop/left turn to an on ramp. I had 2-3 cars as the light turned and he faded another car or so. I somewhat expected a better top end than the Q7, but it was a fairly even match. They say it'll do the 1/4 in 13.9. My SS did it in 14.0 and my Q7 did it in 14.3. the Q7 had a higher trap speed at 103, with the SS at 99, and I can't find a number for the ST. What does the SRT D'ango do it in?

I 110% get the premise of needed a bed "right now". I've thought about getting a utility trailer to back up the SUV for "bed stuff", but it's just another thing to manage in an already long list of logistical decisions to be made during the day. Having the bed always there is part of what makes a pickup super convenient.
The ST is very typical of modern turbo vehicles. If you absolutely beat on it and launch it with boost its ridiculous, downpipe and a tune and they rip 0 to 60 in like 4 flat. But if you don't get that boost built up, you get smashed. Your q7 being blown, and the Durango being NA don't have that issue, they just go. Supposedly the tow rating on the ST is due to only.using the 10r60 vs the 10r80 from f150 and expedition, I agree, huge mistake Ford made there. If it could tow 6500 pounds it'd be a real.winner. ST is super popular here too, supposedly ST accounts for like 40% of explorer sales. The real perk of ST is it runs on the cheap stuff, that's a real nice party truck to get that performance on 87 octane.

But yeah, that always present bed is just so convenient. Bags of mulch or hay or a Xmas tree because light work vs a dirty job that you have tonclean the back of the family hauler out after.