• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Couple questions on boat weight and hitch setup.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking around online this morning contemplating a car purchase.......mostly because I have vehicular ADD more than anything else......Found this video:

Have a couple of questions from some resident guru's.......

1. How much do you think that boat/trailer combo weighs? I'm guessing that's in the 20ft range, and with a tandem axle trailer maybe in the 5k lb range?!?! Comments say it's 1750kg, which converts to ~3,850lbm. Seems light to me.

2. What in the SamHill is going on with this hitch setup? I see a master cylinder, and a manual actuation, as well as some whack-a-doo coupler device. I've been dragging trailers around for 20+ years now and have never seen anything like this before.

1666874462097.png

Looks like he got ~95miles on about 80% charge. That's not great, but not terrible either.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would be nice if they would've spec'd out what the boat was, instead of just a weight. I do agree, it seems a tad light, but maybe they just pulled the MFG online dry weight specs, or something like that. I'm not sure it's quite 5k though... I would've spitballed low to mid 4's, depending on how much extra crap is in storage compartments, etc.

That hitch is alien to me, and I've been selling and servicing trailers for over 20 years. We don't often get boat trailers in for service, but most of the parts are the same, and that coupler is nothing I've ever seen. I'm guessing it's a European thingy that hasn't made it across the pond. Red handle might be a parking brake, which would actually be pretty sweet. It appears the red handle might also allow you to "set" how much play is in the system, which would all but eliminate the "jolt" you feel with SUV's and surge brakes. I would dare bet there is very little "play" in the action if set right. Heckuva contraption, though. Much easier to maintain, being out in the open like that, but holy crap it's just out there to get stepped on, smacked, and whacked with everything in a 5' radius. I'd need a decent sales pitch before I'd go for it. If I'm going to have a contraption on top of the tongue like that, I'll go with electric over hydraulic. Best of both worlds.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i saw a similar coupler mechanism on fb recently...had a cutaway showing a spring loaded, angled pin that drops down to wedge against ball locking into coupler..but don't remember it having the brake stuff attached...will look for it.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really wish I could find someone local with an eTron that has a hitch on it. Friend at the office has one, but no hitch.

Just want to drag my boat up/down the road a bit. Would gladly pay for electricity, dinner, and a few beers for the time/effort.

Wonder if I can rent one somewhere?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really wish I could find someone local with an eTron that has a hitch on it. Friend at the office has one, but no hitch.

Just want to drag my boat up/down the road a bit. Would gladly pay for electricity, dinner, and a few beers for the time/effort.

Wonder if I can rent one somewhere?
Probably Turo. Maybe if you roll into the audi dealer with the q7 and say you want to spend some money you can talk them into letting you try it on a demo vehicle?

After the cost of q7 you're really gonna get another audi? You're a masochist huh? Lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably Turo. Maybe if you roll into the audi dealer with the q7 and say you want to spend some money you can talk them into letting you try it on a demo vehicle?

After the cost of q7 you're really gonna get another audi? You're a masochist huh? Lol
Costs twice as much, breaks half as often. Same as the ones I've had before it.

I'm looking around, and honestly can't find anything else I like to replace it. There are some features and aspects of it I LOVE, some aspects I HATE. Honestly, it's to the point I've honestly looked around for another example of the Q7 that is CPO with fewer miles. The vehicle overall is pretty superb, I just have some concerns with this particular specimen. Found a beautiful '18 Prestige CPO in Austin for $51k with 20k miles the other day, and really considered it.

I liked my truck a LOT, but don't miss the PIA parking and lumbering daily drive in it. Love the HUD and Panoramic roof in the Audi, as well as the "spryness" of it in general. HATE the console, and the lack of storage space in the back to take all the "crap" we do to the lake each weekend. I've even considered finding a B7 RS4 for daily driving, and a 2500 Avalanche for the weekends. But I don't have space/time/effort/willingness to maintain TWO used cars. I need/want something with a warranty, and would like to try an EV. eTron fits most of those boxes, and is something I can actually go buy today and not reserve and hope it comes to fruition in 2+ years.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If these EVs had longer towing range I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. But the inconvenience it would cause when towing just far out weighs the positives in my opinion

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Costs twice as much, breaks half as often. Same as the ones I've had before it.

I'm looking around, and honestly can't find anything else I like to replace it. There are some features and aspects of it I LOVE, some aspects I HATE. Honestly, it's to the point I've honestly looked around for another example of the Q7 that is CPO with fewer miles. The vehicle overall is pretty superb, I just have some concerns with this particular specimen. Found a beautiful '18 Prestige CPO in Austin for $51k with 20k miles the other day, and really considered it.

I liked my truck a LOT, but don't miss the PIA parking and lumbering daily drive in it. Love the HUD and Panoramic roof in the Audi, as well as the "spryness" of it in general. HATE the console, and the lack of storage space in the back to take all the "crap" we do to the lake each weekend. I've even considered finding a B7 RS4 for daily driving, and a 2500 Avalanche for the weekends. But I don't have space/time/effort/willingness to maintain TWO used cars. I need/want something with a warranty, and would like to try an EV. eTron fits most of those boxes, and is something I can actually go buy today and not reserve and hope it comes to fruition in 2+ years.
I figured after your suspension and brake costs you'd have moved on from them, lol.

I think you just need to buy a Durango srt and get it over with, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best Audi is Porsche. Same WAG, but less extravagant.
Probably the first time I've ever heard of Porsche being less extravagant than Audi. I mean, I kinda get it from an aesthetics (less chrome and shiny bits in a Porsche usually), but tech and mechanical complexity is typically just as high or higher.

Interesting thought.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figured after your suspension and brake costs you'd have moved on from them, lol.

I think you just need to buy a Durango srt and get it over with, lol.
Suspension hasn't cost me anything yet. Still running on factory stuff, just have it priced as a way to set my expectations if/when it kaputs on me. Brakes were pricey, but they're damn good. I suspect I would still be on factory stuff if the previous owner hadn't ridden the car so hard, and gave even a single fork about it. I did throw lowering links on it awhile back and dropped it ~2in or so. Handles better, rides just OK, it's air suspension so it's undersprung at low ride heights and light loads. Tows great this low though when I have 4 people and a dog in the car, and another 280lbs of tongue weight back there.

If I got a Durango it would likely be an R/T with the Tow-N-Go package. Still not sure it's the right fit for me though. It's been the bridesmaid twice now on car purchases, and I'm not sure it'll make it to finish line there. There's just so damn many of them out there, and it just doesn't really blow my skirt up at much of any level. I'll keep throwing analogies out there, and say it's got a lot of steak, but not much sizzle.

I've considered a new Sierra AT4, a new Titan, and maybe even a new Sierra 2500 AT4. Those are all super pricey, suck fuel, suck to park, and don't really make exceptionally great daily drivers. I think I would like an EV based pickup or SUV, but they're also super pricey and like 2yrs out on damn near anything that I like (or has a tow rating). eTron has a tow rating up to 4k, which covers my 190, but we want to move to a 240/242 if not this spring, then next spring (I'm pushing to move up now for end of year deals on people that don't want to store). Don't think 4k will cover an AR240. Definitely won't cover an FSH255, or AR242XE/LS. The PHEV's that can tow are all super expensive, and only offer like 30mi of EV range. Which doesn't quite cover one direction to the office. I need closer to 70-75mi of EV only range to make that a value add, otherwise it's just a lot of complexity for me.

What I should really do is throw a few grand at the Q7 and just drive it for another couple years. It's got the tow rating I need, and I don't hate it. I could put motor mounts, suspension bushings, S/C clutch, pullies, engine/trans tune for probably around $5k, and have a really potent really nice driver that has most of the known "common issues" resolved on it. There are guys in the A6 platform with 250k on this motor/trans combo without major issues. The rest of the platform of the Q7 is fairly stout in general, and I take acceptable care of my vehicles that I could expect that life from it........It's just not shiny and new with a warranty :D

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing to consider also depending on what the plans are for towing is if there is a tower on the boat creating more drag. Not too much of a problem staying local but if you plan on taking long trips towing the boat, the drag from the tower is going to have an affect on the miles you may get at higher speeds. It's about more than just the weight of the boat/trailer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing to consider also depending on what the plans are for towing is if there is a tower on the boat creating more drag. Not too much of a problem staying local but if you plan on taking long trips towing the boat, the drag from the tower is going to have an affect on the miles you may get at higher speeds. It's about more than just the weight of the boat/trailer.
Yea, I get that. I've only taken one "long" trip with the boat since I've had it. That was to FL for vacation. There are a couple times we've made a few hours (2-3) of towing, but it's few and far between. With the camper near the lake now, we're closer to having a 3mi tow than anything. The "out and back" on a single charge is less of a concern than it used to be. So that opens the EV realm up a little.

We also made 5 stops WITHOUT the boat on each leg this year. (3) of those were for 30min or more to let the boys out and burn off energy. I'm not certain that adding time for charging stops would heavily effect our door to door time. We would just have to be a bit more strategic in choosing the location instead of "Next truck stop we're off" mentality.

Uncle has a 2500 pickup with a topper. He made some REALLY strong arguments for the "swiss army knife" qualities of that truck. I have to run off to a meeting, but I'll summarize at some point.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wife’s daily driver is a Durango RT, and while we really do love the thing, it’s simply not the build quality or level of engineering you get from Audi. Nothing you don’t already know, but just firsthand confirmation. It’s got great power, handles the boat like an absolute champ, and we genuinely do love it. But compared to Audi…levels away. I’ve got a 2000 Audi A8L that I rarely drive anymore, but Geeze, every time I get in and start cruising around, I’m just reminded of what separates German engineering from the pack. 220,000 miles, still a freaking joy to drive. I will say, transmission issues have been it’s only real issue. Up front price, and price of maintenance is the only reason we have the Durango RT instead of the Q7. I wanted the Q7 in the worst way, but we were stretching the budget a little already.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wife’s daily driver is a Durango RT, and while we really do love the thing, it’s simply not the build quality or level of engineering you get from Audi. Nothing you don’t already know, but just firsthand confirmation. It’s got great power, handles the boat like an absolute champ, and we genuinely do love it. But compared to Audi…levels away. I’ve got a 2000 Audi A8L that I rarely drive anymore, but Geeze, every time I get in and start cruising around, I’m just reminded of what separates German engineering from the pack. 220,000 miles, still a freaking joy to drive. I will say, transmission issues have been it’s only real issue. Up front price, and price of maintenance is the only reason we have the Durango RT instead of the Q7. I wanted the Q7 in the worst way, but we were stretching the budget a little already.
Thanks for the feedback. This is my 3rd German car, and my 2nd Audi. I disliked the BMW, but both Audi's have treated me very well for the time I've had them. I've always had a penchant for "oddball" cars. Had a yellow 4-dr S-10, RX8, several RX7's, the TBSS, even my A4 that was mostly pedestrian had the tech and suspension packages that made it unique amongst it's peers. I like the Q7 for the same reason, I see MAYBE 1 or 2 others each day. There are 6 Durangos on my street alone. I mean, that's good for the Durango, it really confirms the value position they have, but it's kinda of a downside for me in that regard.

I know, I'm dumb and waste money on this front.........I know.

In my Vehicular ADD pursuits, I've also tracked down a CPO '18 Q7 Prestige in Austin. Like 28k miles, rare racer blue color with every option known to man. $51k sticker, which is about $30k more than I owe on mine. I'm on the struggle bus to justify the expense for no change in capability, only known fixes to problems I have with mine (mostly previous owner neglect issues).

I've also priced some SQ7's. My hangup there is two fold. 1st, they're expensive as shit. $100k to get one CPO from just about anywhere. Second is they're only available on the facelifted ('20+) 4M platform, and that has those damn dual touchscreens in the console, that....well....suck. They're huge fingerprint magnets, and the glare with the windows open/top open is just absurdly BAD. Not sure I could handle that daily, however I'm sure the 550hp TTV8 would keep me somewhat distracted from that.......with that said, the eTrons all have that dumbass console as well, so I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uncle has a 2500 pickup with a topper. He made some REALLY strong arguments for the "swiss army knife" qualities of that truck. I have to run off to a meeting, but I'll summarize at some point.
You've seen my truck first hand and I can say that yes, it is the swiss army knife that your uncle says they are. I have no issues hauling or towing anything anywhere with my truck. Does it get great fuel mileage?? Nope, but I knew that when I bought it and knew I needed something to do everything.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That hitch looks a bit like an Australian one that I’ve seen before. It appears that the hitch pictured has more articulation in the Y axis or roll axis.

Sounds to me like you need the Swiss Army knife 3/4 / half ton truck with a shell for recreational purposes and the sporty car for your daily driver. A crew cab short bed with shell will give the boys more room and the shell will keep your goodies out of sight and out of the weather.

I get your penchant for odd ball vehicles in that I rode small production Euro bikes for the bulk of my off road racing career. My towing needs are different than yours, that’s why I have driven one ton cc SWB 4x4 diesel trucks that have been my daily driver / tow vehicle for almost 25 years. Again, I get that you want the trick / zoot car, but I think having a truck that will tow your camper and boat, and the ability to put all your stuff in the bed will make your towing / recreating life easier.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You've seen my truck first hand and I can say that yes, it is the swiss army knife that your uncle says they are. I have no issues hauling or towing anything anywhere with my truck. Does it get great fuel mileage?? Nope, but I knew that when I bought it and knew I needed something to do everything.
That's honestly the thing that keeps bringing me back to the idea of a truck. I know they don't drive as good as SUVs, I know they don't make sport trucks anymore, and I know that the overall seating setup isn't as great for our family. But we have the expedition as the pure family vehicle, they sell suspension kits to make them handle and drive better, and the bed adds flexibility the expedition doesn't really have. I had to buy a wheelbarrow a week or two ago, and while it fit in the expedition, it was kinda a pain.

Regarding the durango... it comes coming up second fiddle because you're looking at the boring version. Look at the srt and you'll get your fix, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS @Babin Farms @FSH 210 Sport

You guys (and my uncle) make some excellent points on the shear volume of utility you get from a fullsize pickup (with or without a topper). My Sierra was that way, and I've missed that to a good extent. I mean, hell, I drove Uber with it for about 6mo, towed with it on the weekends, daily drove it to work and took clients to lunch, took family vacations with it. It did ALL the things really well. Now that I've gone back to an SUV, I LOVE the air suspension and the 4 wheel steering in the Q7. It adds to that utility that was lost in terms of parking/living with it. I've also grown to love the "zippyness" of it around town. I spend a lot of time in the car, often by myself, and the shenanigan inducing driving dynamics help keep the entertainment factor high for me. Not that my Sierra was bad, this is just better.

I can't really get jazzed up about any of the current offerings though. Wish I could take a bit from each model and combine into one ultimate machine. ZF trans, air suspension and ride from a RAM. Value, dash/infotainment from a Titan. Exterior styling from the AT4. Powerboost engine/driveline/generator from the F-150. None of those trucks on their own really scream "Buy Me", probably the closest is the '22+ 2500 AT4 (honestly, just to get the column shifter, otherwise a 1500 does me fine). If the Titan didn't get 16mpg on premium, then I would've been all over it. I like the styling, power, look, and value of the Pro4X. New Tundra is similar, but you can't find one, and when you do they want $100k for the top spec unit.

Got some serious first world problems here don't I ?!? Thanks for listening :D

*edit*......Wonder if I can talk the wife into letting me get that 2500 pickup, and then getting her a B7 RS4 Convertible. If I could make that happen I might get to drive it every now and then to scratch the shenanigan itch?!?!