• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cracked keel mount!?!

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever seen this? I just noticed it and I can’t believe it. 2021 AR210. The rudder mount is cracked all the way across. Not a scratch on the rudder or the boat in that area. IMG_3747.jpegIMG_3748.jpeg
the second picture that is a drop of sealant, not a scratch.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never seen that on a boat that didn’t hit something first. I may have a spare around here if you can’t otherwise find one or yamaha doesn’t cover as a warranted defective part. As I recall, that part is held in place by four nuts and bolts which were/are very difficult to access, especially the lower ones, in a 2017 240.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never seen that on a boat that didn’t hit something first. I may have a spare around here if you can’t otherwise find one or yamaha doesn’t cover as a warranted defective part. As I recall, that part is held in place by four nuts and bolts which were/are very difficult to access, especially the lower ones, in a 2017 240.
Thank you. It’s a mystery. Yes it is four bolts, I assume the drain plug just has sealant around it. Long reach but accessible. I’ll try to get one locally before reaching out again

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I see it often the rudder hit the ground I had one recent customer that had his broken when the boat went on a sand bar and the tow boat rotated it to get it off he took the rudder off completely and added my super ultimate singles to the nozzles , likes it and no more worrying about the ground doing any damage . before 1682730337855.jpeg after 1682730359886.jpeg here is a broken mount 1682730451370.jpeg and worse 1682730492700.jpeg1682730517046.jpeg1682730544001.jpeg1682730579783.jpeg even the 19 foot boats deal with it1682730634738.jpeg

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update/future reference:

Yamaha has the part in stock, costs $325 so I ordered it. Takes a week to ship. Dealer estimated 1.5 hrs labor if they install it, so it’s a $500-550 fix all in with tax, or I do it myself to save labor/turnaround time.

Please chime in here, but it looks like the challenge will be getting the old one off (breaking whatever sealant they used without damaging anything else) but then the reinstall is pretty straightforward: 4200/5200, some silicon and four bolts. For 150 I’d rather they do it, especially considering I have to take the boat to them to submit the warranty claim anyway.

Warranty-wise, I certainly hope they cover it. I do have CobraJet steering, any experience on whether Yamaha would factor that into the claim decision?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yamaha won't cover a broken mount because it is caused by a collision with the ground etc they would only cover it if it was a defect. I have been making steering for the AK boats since they came out in 2115 , in the beginning the rudder striking the ground would cause the steering cable to snap on the right nozzle at the threaded section near the nozzle however after adding my steering that stopped happening as the impact was reduced by splitting it in to a push and a pull at the same time.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bummer in that I have the mount and rudder for about half the new price.

as for removal and install, I would pay them. I had to cut the unit off of my salvage boat and that was after I removed the nuts holding it in place the adhesive yamaha uses is that strong. Good luck with the repair and I hope you are able To get your boat back on the water quickly.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No thanks necessary. Here are pics of what I salvaged from a 2017 at 240. We thought about cutting through the glue holding the mount to the hull but after spending over an hour just removing, sometimes cutting the nuts and bolts we gave up and cut the hull where the mount and rudder are glued on. I don’t know what Yamaha uses but it is ultra strong, no nuts or bolts needed IMHO. E32D5C1A-9AA7-43B7-BA1D-F79F9B83BEF4.jpegD2BB5DE3-E036-4E97-9E2F-215B5CFA4CC7.jpeg19149829-EB13-428A-AA34-7259A9386AD2.jpeg

Last edited:

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To close this thread out, dealer installed the new rudder mount, charged two hours labor. Yamaha denied the warranty claim but reimbursed me 50% of the part.

Levi Weatherford

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know this is a little late and understand it is already fixed. But to me, if it definitely wasn't hit, it kind of looks like a freeze break. Water got behind it and then froze. Basically pushing it away form the transom of the boat. Just something to think about.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen a crack like that once before. 212s. He didn't hit anything. They were shallow just anchored a wave came through and rolled the boat up then down and the weight of the boat on the on the AK buried in the sand cracked it very close to that. No scuff marks or other damage to the AK I thought I took a picture, I will see if I can find it. He just got a new AK and repaired it himself.

Where you shallow and the weight of the boat was someone put on the AK? even if beached on sand? It is just cast.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen a crack like that once before. 212s. He didn't hit anything. They were shallow just anchored a wave came through and rolled the boat up then down and the weight of the boat on the on the AK buried in the sand cracked it very close to that. No scuff marks or other damage to the AK I thought I took a picture, I will see if I can find it. He just got a new AK and repaired it himself.

Where you shallow and the weight of the boat was someone put on the AK? even if beached on sand? It is just cast.
Has never been beached or stern in in less than about 4 feet of water- im always far enough out that kids can jump (but not dive) from the platform. What’s done is done I guess!

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is a little late and understand it is already fixed. But to me, if it definitely wasn't hit, it kind of looks like a freeze break. Water got behind it and then froze. Basically pushing it away form the transom of the boat. Just something to think about.
interesting. I suppose that is possible. The exterior sealant is just a bead of caulk so water could have gotten in from the top and not drained. We had a very mild winter but there was one really cold snap.