• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Crazy idea, bimini out of t slot aluminum?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm close to getting the boat running again. As long as it runs, i want to do a bimini top. I thought about dual folding tops like a deck boat, but the custom bimini places are booked for the summer and cost is $2k+. I'm thinking i could add some 8020 t slot bolted to clamps on the tower and then use some flat canvas to skin it. The bigger the better! It gets to 120f for July and August in Arizona on the Colorado. Here is an extremely crude drawing.
Screenshot_20180719-165639_Gallery.jpg
Here is a roof rack i found on the net
20170910_195102.jpg

This is what it looks like if you are not familiar with 8020. It's awesome because you can easily attach things to it in seconds. I have a lot of it already from my last job when they were throwing away custom automation equipment.
8IN_1010-145.jpg

What do you guys think?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the wind gets under it at speed your jet boat will become a jet plane. ;)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^ that would be a concern...

I got this bimini extension/Yamaha Sunshade - it is not usable at any speed.
upload_2018-7-19_19-58-24.png

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a bimini top I saw on a 19' while in La Paz, Mexico. The bimini frame is fixed and rigid pipe. Saw the boat running around the bay at speed and it didn't fly away.
20180416_160123.jpg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that the boat is operational and i got cooked by the sun, this project is my main focus and the only boat project currently budgeted by my wife.
I do like the 2 ideas from this thread for fabric bimini.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/over-tower-bimini-for-older-ar230-boats-for-350.14452/

Screenshot_20180822-104820_Chrome.jpg

This one looks a bit small, but maybe i could buy a different one not designed for the tower, but have one fold off the front of the tower, and one off the rear of the tower. It's also fairly expensive.

This one from that same thread looks better, but expensive and custom.
Screenshot_20180822-105255_Chrome.jpg

I got some clamps and some scrap t slot as a rough mock up.
20180817_212110.jpg
Screenshot_20180817-220307_Gallery.jpg
20180817_212125.jpg

Front support
Screenshot_20180817-220513_Gallery.jpg
There goal is coverage from the lower part of the windshield to the point where the rear seats start. Roughly 9.5' long x 7' wide. I'm considering white acrilic or white aluminum screwed to the top of the bars. I'll cut a hole for the ski tow.

What do you think? 2 bimini, or one large flat cover?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love 8020, it's like erector set for grown men. It's also heavy and expensive, making it not a great choice for this application IMO.

I would be more apt to find some rigid conduit at the home center, and a cheap hand bender to fabricate a frame for the top. Then stretch some canvas across it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's a reason aluminum tubing and Bimini tops are pretty much a commodity for this use... It just works.

There's got to be some advantage to be DIY. Better, cheaper, bigger, etc. For this project I don't see it, unless the goal is to have fun.

Aluminum tubing seems to be still the most optimal material choice.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love 8020, it's like erector set for grown men. It's also heavy and expensive, making it not a great choice for this application IMO.

I would be more apt to find some rigid conduit at the home center, and a cheap hand bender to fabricate a frame for the top. Then stretch some canvas across it.
Like emt conduit? I'd be concerned about rust and strength

Right now at 80"wide and 96" long I'm at 150 bucks and 15lb for the bars without the fittings. This does not include fabric or aluminum skin. It's just 1" 1010 series.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like emt conduit? I'd be concerned about rust and strength

Right now at 80"wide and 96" long I'm at 150 bucks and 15lb for the bars without the fittings. This does not include fabric or aluminum skin. It's just 1" 1010 series.
I was thinking aluminum tube, but EMT would be similar. I wouldn't want to run EMT for more than a season or two without some form of rust proofing. You can coat the inside with bicycle frame coating (they do the same thing to steel frames to prevent internal rust), or a good powdercoating.

I suspect you'll be well into 50lbs of material by the time you add cross supports, hardware, and fittings......With that said out loud, I added 35lbs to my tower without even thinking about it in the form of a sound bar, 50lbs might not be terrible after all.

This profile might also get you where you need to go for the perimeter and is a little lighter - https://8020.net/shop/1050.html

Wonder what an industrial sewing machine costs? What about a carbon fiber panel "skin" instead? Going to end up looking a lot like the FSH T-Tops, or the 242X tops when done either way. Definitely going to have a very "hard" and "industrial" look to it.

Does it have to be up when underway? If not then there are 101 other way to get you shade that are easier, and will get you through the end of the season until you can drop the boat at a canvas shop and have a traditional bimini made.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An industrial sewing machine is usually 600+ for a used juki with a walking foot. I've had my eye on one for a while. My wife just bought one for 120 that normally goes used for 700+. It's not industrial, but should handle sunbrella. Not sure i want fabric.

I like the carbon fiber idea. My uncle owns a carbon fiber business. I'll hit him up and see what a sheet cost.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If going with the 8020, might also consider using some of the 1/4 round pieces around the edges of the structure to soften the lines up a little bit.

Might also consider a soft angle around the middle of the tower. Might make the nose "tip down" into the wind a little bit while underway, and keep the rear flat-ish back over the cockpit.

What your plan for attaching the frame to the tower? Custom Standoffs? Giant hose clamps?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I might 45 the ends of the front. I've also considered fold out extensions. I found these roll bar mounts.
LAMPHUS Cruizer LED Off-Road Light Vertical Bar Clamp Mounting Kit 1"/ 1.5"/ 1.75"/ 2" [2 Clamps] [Includes Allen Hex Key] [User-friendly] - For Light Bar Bull Bar Tube Clamp Roof Roll Cage Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753YM3VX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lkfGBb0GAVWS2

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW those are inexpensive. Should work fine though.
Yeah. I bought one set for testing. It's cheap pot metal, but should be fine. I'll need a couple more sets. I got an email to my uncle to see what he thinks about cf and a rough price. I suspect the price will be the biggest obstacle. 50x124 is nearly a thousand bucks! Maybe there is a cheaper option.
https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/plates-panels-angles/carbon-fiber-plate/carbon-fiber-fabric-plate/401-3kt-group

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the master himself.

I can get you carbon fiber but honestly aluminum painted or powder coated or natural it’s probably way better… Carbon fiber clear is going to have a terrible greenhouse effect in the UV light and will be trashed in a short certain period of time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Working on a design project that has some hydraulic routing needed. Ran across these. Might be the ticket to get the T-Slot attached to the tower in a nice/clean/strong way.

http://www.stauffusa.com/act-clamps/

Probably not as cheap as the Amazon ones you have listed earlier in the thread, but these are significantly more substantial.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Amazon ones will probably work. They are shit pot metal, but almost 1/2" thick. I'll have 6 of them. I haven't had time to work on this. I need to get the axles back in the Jeep, dismount 4 35s from double bead lock wheels, then mount the new tires. Havasu tomorrow night in a friend's sx230, then my river the next weekend, then nitro circus up in Anaheim, so maybe oct20 i can have a minute to design it and send it out. Non stop projects.