• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cuba...would you or wouldn't you?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not yet legal, but they will be.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not that I care that much, because like your @txav8r I didn't think Cuban cigars were that much better than some of the other ones I have had (like Dominicans). I think it was more the 'forbidden fruit' aspect that was appealing to most.

Anyway, my understanding of the new relaxed rules is if you are legal to travel to Cuba (i.e. not a tourist), you can now bring back more than you had in the past. According to this article you can bring $400 back, but only $100 in tobacco/alcohol. So to me it sounds like they are now legal to be brought back to the US just not for resale, as long as you are getting there because of the approved types of travellers.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/u-s-cuba-deal-caps-cigar-imports-100-article-1.2048432

In any case it sounds like the flood gates are just being slowly opened. In a few years I would think most, if not all, travel restrictions will be lifted. I have heard they have some amazing beaches by some of my friends from England who have been able to travel there. Once some hotel/resort chains open shop there it will become a huge industry for Cuba must like it is for all the other Caribbean islands. Going to Cuba will be no different that going to Barbados, St. Lucia, Grand Cayman, etc...

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It already is a huge industry for Cuba but is bound to get even larger. Most of these if not all at beach locations are all inclusive resorts. Many do day trips to Havana from their all inclusive to see more of the local culture. This is a popular destination for Canadians during winter months looking for an inexpensive week on some great beaches.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g147270-zff8-Cuba-Hotels.html

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have wanted to go for years probably just for the taboo of going. I would agree with an earlier post might not be the most comfortable ride on a boat but heck people have been doing it for years on rafts and tires so it can be done. I do know a guy from a different Jetski forum who rides his ski over several times a year. He is originally from there so I think the rules are a little different for him but not 100% sure. They way the new rules read with no need to file for a permit to go almost anyone who really wanted to could fly over when asked what your purpose was by customs you would just say educational for what ever reason you want it to be and I don't think they would really question it.