• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cuba...would you or wouldn't you?

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to say that I would like to visit Cuba and see what this island is all about. I have to think that our Florida folks would like to venture that way as well. I guess it's one of those places that I have always thought about but have never had the balls to go.... government allowed or not. Just wondering how many others would interested to visit this island as I would be?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If I was single, I'd prolly take 50.00 out of savings, cash in some FF miles and go see what it's all about. I bet I could live it up for a week on that 50 spot! (ok, maybe a little more but I bet it's CHEAP)

If this guy can do it on a waverunner, we might need to change the Bimini 2016 to Havana 2016.
http://www.gatocrane.com/pages/havana.html

Last edited:

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would love to go to Cuba--especially to see the "time warp" of old 1950-1960 cars. Canadians and others have been going there for years without any repercussions; however, I doubt that I want to cross 90 miles of open water in my boat.

Here is a good site that will tell you almost everything you need to know if you want to take your boat:

cuba.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If I was single, I'd prolly take 50.00 out of savings, cash in some FF miles and go see what it's all about. I bet I could live it up for a week on that 50 spot! (ok, maybe a little more but I bet it's CHEAP)

If this guy can do it on a waverunner, we might need to change the Bimini 2016 to Havana 2016.
http://www.gatocrane.com/pages/havana.html
The heck you're changing it! That's my ten year anniversary that we plan on the bahamas! Buying supplies as needed now!

But it looks like a farther scarier but just as stunning location, just in a different way.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would love to check out Cuba. My Canadian uncle has been going there for years and tells me it's gorgeous.

Reactions: 007

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think it would be a fun trip to do. Sandals (the big all inclusive resort company) used to have a property there that they backed out of in mid 2013. You had to go to the sandals.co.uk site to find it as it wasn't shown on the sandals.com site! it is now http://www.royalhicacosresort.com

From a topography perspective is it probably not as impressive as Puerto Rico, the costs and poverty levels are probably similar to some of the popular caribbean islands 20 years ago (like St. Lucia).

The key for me will be where regular direct flights will be offered from....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My understanding is that the recent change in regulations does not allow for tourism.

If it did my guess is that you would be taking waves in the side for 60 miles instead of in the bow which would make for a less pleasant trip.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The only reason I would go would be to check out all the vintage autos. Could be a car collectors dream!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Zarrella ... would be cool to see all those old, classic cars! I am not a smoker but I would have to try a Cuban cigar for sure and a Mojito :cool:

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd go in a heart beat. You will probably be able to experience culture on the cheap that will be hard to find in a non commercialized way 10 years from now.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We fly two flights a day and have from Miami for the at least the last 6 years. One flight to Havana and I forget the other destination. But as a US citizen, you can't just travel there. However, if you are a Cuban national with relatives here (restrictions apply), you can get back and forth. Nothing prevents you from traveling there from Mexico or Canada. I don't think the change in US policy has been fully digested and I am betting it is in for a fight from the GOP. But I expect to see the restrictions lifted now in the near term and flights will open to US citizens as well as Cuban nationals that don't have relatives in the US.

We will go! We are all over the out of the way, mom and pop places, that provide a level of ambiance that big resorts just don't have. Although, a nice bed is imperative! I would also love the classic cars! Jim, if your still in Mexico, grab a cuban at the tobacco shop! They got em there! Just don't bring them back here!!! If you get caught trying, you will go on "the list", forever causing travel problems coming back into the USA at customs and immigration. They don't cotton well to smugglers! But they sell cuban cigars in both Canada and Mexico. I don't like them and will always go for an Arturo Fuente over any Cuban cigar, because they are less harsh and a very smooth smoke for a non smoker. I actually buy Bauzas, a private label AF cigar sold exclusively by mikescigars.com But hey, smoke a cuban, and you can say you did!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No, I won't be bringing any of those back state side for sure @txav8r ... The first time we went to Mexico, won a raffle at a fundraiser... all expenses paid to Cabo, I could not believe all the folks trying to sell you just about any kind of drugs that you could think of.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When folks come back into the states from the middle east, "I've Heard" the duty free shop removes the rings from the Cubans for you. Then they are just another cigar that nobody cares about. You can even bring back the rings separately "they say". Customs never questions it..."I've been told". At least that's what I hear when I'm traveling back from Bahrain several times a year.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Believe me, customs asks. If you don't declare them, you can go to jail and worse. You can lie to them, but if they are unmarked, they will be confiscated. Plenty of travelers have done that and other misguided acts to bring back illegal contraband. If they want to take the time, and at times they do, they can make your life miserable for a long time. I have friends that have gotten away with such things, and friends that haven't. When you travel for a living, and must come through customs routinely, running a risk like this could ruin a career. Im not very good at lying, I would get caught and look guilty from the get go. And I'm too cheap to risk a $250 box of cigars. To risk my travel privileges for a couple even isn't going to happen. But maybe irkis worth the risk to others.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@txav8r, are the crew subject to any extra customs checks or is it just like you were any other passenger?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jim, our duty free limits are different because typically we are out of the country for less than 24 hours. But given that, we are still subject to the same scrutiny that everyone else is subject to. I have seen them make examples of both revenue passengers and flight crew members alike. I have seen crew members deported from foreign countries at the will of immigration of that country, and often because they felt your were insulting. I have seen crew members arrested. And I have seen crew members detained for hours without explanation. Customs and immigration don't report to anyone locally, it is their domain. Your lawyer can't even help you until they formally charge you and due process doesn't apply until you enter the country. And here is the key, you haven't entered the country until they release you. People take this all too lightly. They have come down on us because we didn't have the Rx for the medicines we carry. And...they hold to the letter of the law, that they must be labeled, in the original container, and contain an Rx...and get this, only the quantity necessary for days of travel. I don't know about you, but my insurance company won't pay for duplicate Rx for me on anything, so I have one, and I'll be damned if I am dividing them up and forgetting what they are at the prices I have to pay for some of them. I travel for a living, so when I do, and I don't work when sick. But I carry what I may need in case I have an issue, from heartburn to other issues. They treat over the counter with the same scrutiny as Rx. And just because you can legally buy some of this stuff without an Rx out of the country, they will require an Rx here. I don't push it Jim, and for good reason, I have seen them do their worst. And the problem is, nothing you say can intimidate them or change their minds, they pretty much look at everyone like they are a suspect. They ask us the same interview questions that they ask any traveler. It is just not a game. All of that said, they go to extremes sometimes when they know that a problem exists. I have heard of crew members shopping outside the duty free allowances and bringing in items for retail here and doing it regularly. When they see a pattern, they start cracking down. My recommendation is know the limits and live within them. Playing dumb won't get you very far, they will confiscate any exceedance and many times they will take all of the item, even the allowable, because you attempted to exceed the limit. I don't think that is legal myself, but I have seen the do it. I once saw a girl bring back and declare "wine". As a crew member she was entitled to only one liter of alcohol, including any perfumes, she had two bottles and the agent asked her how many. She said two, he sent her to secondary screening. They destroyed both bottles...after she accused them of taking them for themselves. She cried...and was then branded basically and stopped for secondary screening from then on. I don't know if she ever got out of that. Secondary screening is possible anytime, and they will X-ray and physically inspect all of your luggage and can even do a strip search and MORE! If they suspect you of smuggling, no orifice is out of reach. You do not want to be on this list.

Some of the above is when they are being super scrutinizing, it isn't that bad all the time, but they go on extremes from time to time.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow!! I will never try to sneak anything again!! Not that I have done that too many times, but WOW!! I usually try and keep a low profile while traveling, not because I'm a super secret spy(just kidding), just don't see the need to hassle those folks. Thanks for the advice.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will wait for big resorts to be built.
As for the culture, you can visit parts of Miami and get authentic cuisine, music and life. I have enjoyed the few times my Cuban friends have shown me their culture. Except the Cuban coffee!! That's too much caffeine for me.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wanted to say too, @Jim Robeson , that if your legal, you don't give off the aire that you might give off if your not. I have no issue walking through and getting right through now, but there were days when NY or MIA customs allowed even a case of wine for a crew member, and DFW would not, many of us took offense to that and tried to press the issue, and that is when they tightened up on everything...because they could. Today, it is a walk in the park if you don't stand out. But I swear the guy that tries to bring back cigars might as well have it stamped on his forehead, because they catch them and the drug smugglers all the time.

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd go in a heart beat. You will probably be able to experience culture on the cheap that will be hard to find in a non commercialized way 10 years from now.
I agree whole heartedly. It would be a great place to visit before the large hotel chains are able to setup roots. I would say bring on the 3-4 hours of punishing seas to spend a week in Havana!