• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Custom gunnel molding covers?

Impelled

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am still looking for a 2 1/2" to 3" cover, cap, whatever you call these things, for the back of my boat (o6 230). The little cheap black plastic cover is too small. I'm sure someone can design a decent one, like Mastercraft or Sugar Sand, has done. Cheap ass crap like this below:

The OEM one is too small. The black molding has shrunk over the years. I guess I'll use these if nothing else work. Tell me you wouldn't buy a stainless or aluminum one if it was available. Any machinists' out there to design a decent attractive one?

I am still looking for a 2 1/2" to 3" cover, cap, whatever you call these things, for the back of my boat (o6 230). The little cheap black plastic cover is too small. I'm sure someone can design a decent one, like Mastercraft or Sugar Sand, has done. Cheap ass crap like this below:

The OEM one is too small. The black molding has shrunk over the years. I guess I'll use these if nothing else work. Tell me you wouldn't buy a stainless or aluminum one if it was available. Any machinists' out there to design a decent attractive one?

See picture, the black plastic part under the handle on the swim step that joins the ends of the rub rail?

watercraft_2952.jpg

S.S. or a dense urethane?

Last edited:
Yeah, that effing thing! It's got a million annoying names , gunwale cap, rub rail center cover, gunnel cap/ cover/ plate/ molding cap....etc. Mastercraft has a nice one...and so does Sugar Sand. And Yamaha doesn't have one? Mother Yamaha....alert!!!! You know the guys that make those billet aluminum gas caps? Have them make a rhombus shaped back plate center cover molding cap whatever with YAMAHA embossed into the metal. Stainless or Alloy...you pick.

I'll try and post a pick from my phone...operative word....TRY

This OEM thing is cheap ass plastic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 33
Im having issues with mine on my 2013 212SS. I've submitted it for a warranty fix.

OK, let's see what we can come up with.

First thought I had was to take off the stock part and pull a mold off that section and make a model. I can do that in two weeks when I go out.

My other thought is that S.S. Gets real hot. Considering that it is right on the edge where the back off your leg will touch, I'm thinking that I could make this out of a urethane. Dense enough to do the job, yet not as hard as steel if someone should slip and bang a shin on it. Might not be as pretty as S.S. I think YAMAHA would look nice right there.

The newer boats have an SS rub rail anyway, so it ought to have an SS rail end cap. My new ride has an SS one...IMG_3618.JPG
Even the 230 had one! It could be molded and fashioned eh @glassman?DSCN1621.JPG

My boat is an hour away but maybe someone could measure one from a 240 series. The rub rail is stainless on them.

I can't make it....but I can visualize it. Make a few while you're at it and sell them. These boats just need a little more swag right? It's the little details, the finishing touches. Finishing.....who am I kidding....we're never finished. Get a patent .....and then Retire!! :)

Thanks for the pictures Mel, I guess the S.S. poses no issues there. It' pretty easy to make a longer part out of stainless. Would certainly fill that area better by covering that extra screw head on the right. Something with tapered oval ends might look nice.

I'll still look into making something out of urethane, I like the thought of a logo there.

Thanks for the pictures Mel, I guess the S.S. poses no issues there. It' pretty easy to make a longer part out of stainless. Would certainly fill that area better by covering that extra screw head on the right. Something with tapered oval ends might look nice.

I'll still look into making something out of urethane, I like the thought of a logo there.
I think you guys are on to something! The hard King Starboard boarding handle on the 230 has been replaced with a strap on the 240. While I first thought that a cheap move...I am thinking it is better, because it is flexible and moves with you as you board...and Chester stands less risk of getting a foot under it and breaking it (his foot) when he is trying to jump in. Room for swag on a handle too!

Wish our shop had a wire machine. That would be easy to make. 3d profiling would have a bunch of small lines and would have to be polished out if the part is too long. If not to long, then I could set it up in a mill and profile it out in about an hour or 2. Can you make a small sketch Jerry and send it too me?

I agree. Perfect place for a logo And that piece should have convex curved ends, not concave curves with pointy ends

I have my anchor parts plasma cut, then I take them to my machine shop and Delbert puts the ends on the press and presses them, then welds them up. You could easily have these CNC cut to size in SS, then press on a die to shape. Polish and laser engrave, somewhere in the process. The convex ends will create 4 sharper points than convex ends, and why they don't just put a rectangular piece on there I am guessing. The oval piece has less edges to grab you getting up/down. But it ain't as styling', bro...

I don't know if it would fit on the black rubber rub rail Jerry, @Impelled , but the stock part is available at SeattleSportsPlaza on the '07 - '09 model, that one is stainless, and only $13 bucks. It is part number 7Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 10.39.10 AM.png

I think it's too small. The gap on the left side is a half inch from the OEM plastic shit. I could get by with a 2 1/2 inch piece of concave material (plastic or metal) but I was looking for them and found one for Sugar Sand...and got to thinking, there's got to be an upgrade out there. It also needs to have two holes for screws. Some just had a single hole in the center, that ain't gonna cut it. Thx for looking at this guys! It bugs the shit outta me, can U tell lol

I seen that too. That will be my plan B...so to speak. Then I'd have an extra to bring to Shelbyville for give-a-way :). Thanks

Back