• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Custom SwimDeck Ballast Bag project

Would you be interested in this type of bag for your swim deck?

• Yes

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't have Ridesteady but the way other systems work was once you set it you can nail the throttle WOT all you want but it will not go beyond the desired/set speed. @swatski can you confirm?
Yes, that's the way mine works. You have to give ridesteady enough room with the physical throttles to do its work. We were at 10mph and I rotated the ridesteady dial to 11mph, and the display asked for more throttle. Since I had already moved the throttles to WOT, there wasn't any more throttle to give. I believe the ridesteady wants throttle room beyond what it thinks is necessary for the speed requested, so it can handle and predict overshoot, etc. I'm thinking there was probably enough throttle left to go faster, but maybe not as much as it wanted, so it decided not to. I'll test next weekend with the ridesteady off and see what happens. The other thing that's interesting is that both @nate kennedy and @Bill D have weight forward of the windshield, where as I none when I ran into the issue. When I moved people to the bow, with no other changes, I could speed up if I wanted to. So I may have just had the port side stern too low in the water... the bow was straight up.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was there going to be a slight redesign or do we think sticking with the original design is the way to go?
Still too soon to tell, but with @Scottie getting a second chance to fill his and have success I think we may be good.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Still too soon to tell, but with @Scottie getting a second chance to fill his and have success I think we may be good.
I'll say this. With the bag filled properly, the current handles are in the perfect spot for tying the bag to the lower tow point. If the handles were higher, you'd have to tie to the tower or some place else, which I don't think is ideal. You can see how I have it tied in my pic. Personally, after yesterday, I wouldn't change it. Just my 2 cents.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, that's the way mine works. You have to give ridesteady enough room with the physical throttles to do its work. We were at 10mph and I rotated the ridesteady dial to 11mph, and the display asked for more throttle. Since I had already moved the throttles to WOT, there wasn't any more throttle to give. I believe the ridesteady wants throttle room beyond what it thinks is necessary for the speed requested, so it can handle and predict overshoot, etc. I'm thinking there was probably enough throttle left to go faster, but maybe not as much as it wanted, so it decided not to. I'll test next weekend with the ridesteady off and see what happens. The other thing that's interesting is that both @nate kennedy and @Bill D have weight forward of the windshield, where as I none when I ran into the issue. When I moved people to the bow, with no other changes, I could speed up if I wanted to. So I may have just had the port side stern too low in the water... the bow was straight up.
@Scottie Thank you for sharing, your posts are very useful.
I'll add this:
  1. With RideSteady - it is what you said, TTBOMK; I don't think you are hurting the system when maxing out and it keeps asking for more throttle, it's just annoying I guess
  2. With my 240 I have also reached the point of too much ballast in the back wherein I could no longer come up to wake surfing speed of 10-11mph; I do not remember how much weight did it take - but it was something truly ridiculous -and way over 3,000lbs (I will search the info later)
  3. I could overcome this situation by either moving ballast toward the bow, or by (temporarily) deploying trim tabs - and, interestingly, I only needed to blip those tabs down "to get over the hump", once I was going 10+mph (in some semi-planning mode?) - I could retract the tabs back completely without loosing speed
  4. I would think that you may benefit from the L13 cones if getting up on plane continues to be an issue, or if you feel you are "plowing" through the water at high RPM but barely moving forward; those L13 will increase your pumps' efficiency and generally can improve hole shot quite a bit
--

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have ordered the custom 242 bag, hope it does the trick. I know people have tried wake shapers without any success but on the 240 forum there is someone that uses the ronix shaper with success they say. Any thoughts?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have ordered the custom 242 bag, hope it does the trick. I know people have tried wake shapers without any success but on the 240 forum there is someone that uses the ronix shaper with success they say. Any thoughts?
Where did you order the bag from?

I have a Ronix wake shaper I will sell for $250 shipped. Been on a boat 3 times.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know people have tried wake shapers without any success but on the 240 forum there is someone that uses the ronix shaper with success they say. Any thoughts?
That is @Williamsone46
He has posted good up-to-date info in his 242 thread.

--

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That is @Williamsone46
He has posted good up-to-date info in his 242 thread.

--
Thanks @swatski , I've used the XL Ronix Wakesurf Shaper on my 2017 242X and loved it. I've seen the standard sized used on 19'-21' models and worked great, noticeable difference with and without out it. I ballasted the port and starboard tanks 100% and would drive straight and would be able to drop the rope no problem. Sorry I haven't got any good videos or pictures.

This year I'm going to try Ronix's new Wake Shaper 205 Hollow Concave and see how it works. It's even bigger and a steeper angle.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where did you order the bag from?

I have a Ronix wake shaper I will sell for $250 shipped. Been on a boat 3 times.
I ordered bag from barefoot, I am a dealer for them up I'm B.C. I am a motorsports dealer but started selling some watersports stuff this year.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did some testing yesterday with the bag. First off there is going to be a learning curve on filling this bag. It filled kind of strange so when full it was a little sideways on the swim deck. So in the circumstance air flow to the engine was a non issue. I did have to tie it down different coming back to the tower because of this. Other then that I think when I have it fully on the seat the handles are in a good spot.

So the 870 being on the swim deck corner was a VERY GOOD thing. I didn't have to run my top of the seat port bag. I ended the day with port bag 110%, ski locker bag 25%, and starboard bag 50%. They wave looked to have amazing push. I think I am going to have to put some weight in the nose now to lengthen out my pocket. This is also using the universal wedge so it is looking promising folks!! Still more tuning to do when a surfer actually gets back there but it is a winner in my book!

View attachment 73154
What is the universal wedge you speak of?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Started a new thread but 21 ft and 24 ft bags in stock now.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The custom Fat Sac for the swim deck, wake wedge (on top of my custom 3x800lbs built-in ballast) = we are getting somewhere, finally.

About freaking time! Needs some tweaks but getting close.
upload_2018-5-29_1-36-49.png

--

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg Bag on swim deck , no other ballast except two adults sitting on the port side !!! 2010 ar240

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The waves are looking good!!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski Are you at Bull Shoals ? I think we are going to detour over there a few days after our time at Table Rock.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length