• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Custom SwimDeck Ballast Bag project

Would you be interested in this type of bag for your swim deck?

• Yes

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks good Kenny!!! Can you fill the bag more?
Yes it can take a little more but I had the handles too close and it bunched up the bag there. Once it was filled I was too scared to try and retie it in case it was going to roll off. It stayed put though so I should have retied the handles with more slack between the knot so the bag could unravel there. I had burped the bag several times and pushed the air out so what you see is water in there.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's some pics from the video that really show the size of the wave better. Notice the rollers in the background :D. The folks anchored in a pontoon in the area probably weren't too happy with me.

wave angle top.jpg
wave side shot.jpg
wave side shot2.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My plan is to put the 400lb bag under the rear seat so the only bag visible would be the one on rear. Are there any changes you want done to the bag, for example measurements, handle placement, ect... ?
@SCP1 when you get it done let me know and I will make a trip up to see you, I'm thinking of this as well. I am really wanting to surf now.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just FYI guys.
I'm replacing one of the plugs with a quick connect from WM that I like. I needed two new parts from WM.
upload_2018-6-14_18-33-36.png
upload_2018-6-14_18-34-56.png

Here is the replacement:
upload_2018-6-14_18-39-13.png

I hate those 1/4 turn grey quick connectors, always blow on me when using the 1" WM hose (very stiff).
I'm going to leave this in for faster emptying?

Will report back - soon.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not sure what the difference is between yours and mine, besides size, but I don't have any issues at all with the air intake. I fill my bag completely, and when I do the back wall of the bag is straight up, so as the seat slants towards the bow, there seems to be plenty of room for the air intake to breathe.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You can see what I mean in this pic.
20180520_140140.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine doesnt block the intake.

20180611_130629.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I took video @swatski on how Jerry filled it with air, tied it up with enough slack then started filling it with water with the air vent slightly open. Works like a dream ! Trust me we had a lot trouble the very first time we filled that huge thing ! Lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took video @swatski on how Jerry filled it with air, tied it up with enough slack then started filling it with water with the air vent slightly open. Works like a dream ! Trust me we had a lot trouble the very first time we filled that huge thing ! Lol
Okay - that makes a lot of sense! Very clever. Thank you!
Tell Jerry Swatski says hi.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I tied the top off before I began filling and I left my top vent cap cracked open. Filled without issue.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I tied the top off before I began filling and I left my top vent cap cracked open. Filled without issue.
Any chance you can get back there and ride that wave? I would like to see some review comments from the water for the 19’.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have no doubt that wave is going to be awesome. I surged behind that boat with standard ballast (I think just one bag?) and the wave was decent. The way it looks in the pictures, thabag plus a few people to move around will be a great combo.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I've had up to 1800 lbs in my 192 without a good wave. I'm really hoping this bag works. I don't doubt that's it's possible to surf the 19's, I just don't think they will ever make a decent wave. In other words, you will be lucky to make a tiny pocket that allows ropeless surfing, but forget moving around the pocket.

I don't have any experience surfing, so take my opinion very lightly. Someone prove me wrong, I really want to surf with my boat.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't have any pics unfortunately, but we had a monster wave today. Tall, and long. Had 8 people in the boat, and the swim deck bag was full. No other ballast, not even the stock under seat bags, because they wouldn't fill today for some reason (still have to check on that). At one point it was weighted where we weren't even listing like usual, and it was still giant. The swim deck bag is the key, and the wake wedge for the twins, if you really want to surf.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have any pics unfortunately, but we had a monster wave today. Tall, and long. Had 8 people in the boat, and the swim deck bag was full. No other ballast, not even the stock under seat bags, because they wouldn't fill today for some reason (still have to check on that). At one point it was weighted where we weren't even listing like usual, and it was still giant. The swim deck bag is the key, and the wake wedge for the twins, if you really want to surf.
Did you move your guests around?
Did you play with speed?

I think that next time I go will fill the swim deck bag first, then play with the built-in ballast - based on your observations.

--

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our best wave was with the heavier people in the surf side rear seat, amd then 2-3 people in the bow for length. I've discovered that if I fill only the deck bag and nothing else, I get a decent wave, that can be improved with more ballast or more people. If I start with stock ballast and people, I've got basically nothing until I add the swim deck bag. The swim deck bag is the most important ballast component, for sure. As for speed, we're between 10.2 and 10.8 with the Ridesteady. It's really surfer preference for us. I haven't seen a large impact on the wave at either end of that range. The great thing about the swim deck bag, is that I now KNOW I can get a great wave with that bag and enough people on the boat. So my ballast project after the season will just be an attempt to replicate people weight, so we can surf with 1 or two in the boat, instead of trying to manufacture some mythical wave that doesn't exist yet. ***And another note, we're beginners, like 3rd or 4th weekend surfing, ever, and the only board I have is a $199 airhead bonzai. We're all ropeless, immediately after getting up, from 180lbs to 240. That's how good the wave is.