• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dallas area grub??

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey there. I'm heading down to mckinney, tx for a 3 day pickleball academy. While I'm in the Dallas area, can the locals give me some ideas for some must-haves for food?? I fly in august 17th and leave the 21st.

Thanks!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Absolutely! We love the salsa and warm chips there as well as the Shrimp Brochette... Papasito's Mexican, the Richardson location is nearest to McKinney. Excellent but not the cheapest, but well worth it!

Lots of good BBQ here, some better than others for certain meats or choices, from more name brand to the local ones. I like Dickey's and Sonny Bryans, but there are some really good ones down in Dallas.

We have a local chain for pizza, called Palios, you can BYOB to most locations and they have a number of pizzas to choose from, we like "the king", no mushrooms but add fresh garlic.

I'll try to get some time to put more in here later...welcome to Texas!

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you just going out in the evening? Any special type of food?

Tex-Mex or BBQ is going to be the easiest (you'd probably find just as good of one of those in McKinney) we have a couple of BBQ that only open for limited hours or until they run out and then a couple of fancy food (sushi, steak houses, etc..) in Dallas that are 5 star (I've never been)

It can be a hard drive between McKinney and Dallas depending on traffic.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Scottintexas . I fly in around dinnertime on the 17th. The first and third day are 3-9pm so will hit some places for lunch. Sat we get out at 4:00pm so one evening for dinner. So hopefully those hours will avoid some traffic

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hard 8 BBQ ... https://www.hardeightbbq.com/locations.html

I had never seen anything like it even being from Kentucky and we have BBQ. Everything is bigger in Texas I think the location below is closest to McKinney as we live in Little Elm now which is also North Dallas area.

THE COLONY

Phone: 972-625-8888

Hours:
M - Th: 10:30 am – 10:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 10:30 am – 11:00 pm
Sun: 10:30 am – 9:00 pm

richardp1557

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are into thin crust pizza "Cadillac Pizza" in downtown McKinney is your place.

Rick's Chophouse in downtown McKinney has a killer "Cowboy Ribeye" steak!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please don't go Dickey's for BBQ. That's fast food BBQ. It's fine if your other options are McDonalds or BK, but it doesn't hold a candle to actual food.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20 year resident of McKinney

Best BBQ would be Hutchins on the east side, hands down

McKinney has a historic square downtown, lots of good places there

Sugarbacon on the square is good upscale-ish fare
Butcher block next to it has great sandwiches
Harvest on the square is good farm to table fare
Rye is my favorite place to eat, but it only seats about 15 people so its hard to get in
Square burger is a good burger joint.

along 75 has the chains, Rockfish, Texas Roadhouse, Saltgrass, Fuddruckers, fast food etc.

about 5-7 miles south at 75 and Stacy there are a lot of food places, again mostly chains but a few good ones in there

let me know if you are looking for something specific and I'll point you there.

Cory

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll second the above vote for Hard Eight if you are willing to drive 15 miles or so, its the best in the metroplex I think.

I won't second the vote for Ricks, if you watched the first season of BBQ pittmasters, the head chef at Ricks lost every single episode for good reason.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
X2 on Hutchins! Only place comparable would be Pecan Lodge, but that's near downtown. Hard Eight is cool, but I'm a little bit of a BBQ snob....been in Texas too long.

The one night out, if you are going with a few folks, check out Del Frisco's in uptown for drinks. The just opened and have a great upstairs bar. For dinner, go to Javier's...it's a real cool mexican restaurant with a cigar lounge. More expensive options would be Perry's or Nick in Sams. Uptown Dallas is the happening place and the "scenery" is top notch. Some of the best talent can be viewed at the Katy Trail Ice House. Very causal place with mostly outside seating. It's along the Katy Trail which is the walking/jog trail in uptown, so grab a beer and watch the show.

Alternatively, if you want to hit downtown Dallas during the day. Jimmy's Food Store is a MUST. It's off the beaten path, but for a lunch stop it's got the best sandwiches! Google it.

The drive downtown is about 45 minutes, so if you want to stay closer, check out Shops at Legacy http://shopsatlegacy.com/ . They just opened the new phase Legacy West https://legacywest.com/ Lots of great places. It's the mixed use with the urban "feel" in the suburbs or as we call it in the real estate world "surban".

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll second all the above as well. I haven't been to Legacy west yet, didn't realize it was open yet.