• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Damaged impellers / loss of power

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had my entire family down a few weeks ago and we were out on the boat, 10 people in all. No one overly large, but probably pushing up against the weight limits for the boat. Had a VERY hard time getting up on plane. Would accelerate to 15mph then just top out at 8k RPM and wouldn't go faster. Eventually after 2-3 mins of manipulating the throttles up and down slowly I could get it to grab, would take a minute or so to get through 16-18mph then once I hit 20 could get up to 35 no problem @ about 7k rpm. Load was spread pretty evenly throughout the boat, always minimum 4 people up front.

Checked out my impellers and they do look a bit chewed up (will post a pic tomorrow) but not sure if that's enough alone to cause that sort of performance degredation? How damaged do they need to be before you'd notice something like this?

My 2019 AR 195 did the same thing last year. Also when wakeboarding with just a few people the holeshot had some terrible cavitation. I'm looking to replace the impeller, wear sleeve and probably add the lucky 13 cone while Im in there

My 2019 AR 195 did the same thing last year. Also when wakeboarding with just a few people the holeshot had some terrible cavitation. I'm looking to replace the impeller, wear sleeve and probably add the lucky 13 cone while Im in there
I've noticed my holeshot even with 1-2 people isn't super clean. It will cavitate a bit if I really hit the throttle hard.

Sounds like impeller and wear ring to me for sure

How damaged do they need to be before you'd notice something like this?

That's the magic question, how big a ding and where it is makes all the difference, I would also check your impeller clearance on the wear ring,

my previous impellers below, I didn't have any have any take off issues and only lost about 5 mph on the top end,
20181121_215859.jpg

also while you have the impellers out, gently pull on the silicone to make sure it's still adhered to the hull, sometimes the silicone can look ok but be loose and the suction of the jet working pull it away from the hull,

2nd the impeller clearance and the gap seals... Be sure to check the condition of the pump stator vanes... when they get beat up with chunks missing they really kill performance

Back