• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer Inspection and Wet Slip

itsalexg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All!

I will be picking up my new 2018 AR240 from the dealership in Miami on Thursday. I bought it on Saturday and left it behind getting a few upgrades ( Upgraded all speakers to JL Audio , 8.8 Wake Tower Speakers and Jet Boat Pilot Thrust Vectors). This is going to be a very expensive hobby...

Question 1
This is my first brand new boat. Should I inspect it with the dealership? What specifically should I test?

Question 2
I have decided to keep the boat in a wet slip marina (freshwater / river of Miami). Although the opinions are mixed I know I will get more fun time with it in a wet slip. After all I bought this boat to make memories and have fun with my family. Once my bank account recuperates I plan on purchasing a lift.

For now I am going to install a dual bank batter charger that I will keep connected to shore power. Should I upgrade the plugs? How often should I pull it out of the water and clean? Is there any routine maintenance I should perform since it will be wet slipped? What other precautions should I take?

Any insights or feedback is greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glad to hear someone else is thinking about this... I'm in Mass, so a bit shorter season, but it seams everyone is frantic about a wet slip option. I plan to take the boat out every 2 weeks or so, (as we'll be heading to a few local lakes), clean, WD40, and generally treat all metal areas, but from what I can gather from all the skis that are 100% salt use, a little TLC goes a long way. I/O, OB, Jet, i'd still be cleaning it more or less the same.

We use our current boat a couple times a week, (outboard) and pretty heavy on the weekends, but a flush of the systems and general good habits with salt seam to go a long way.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Question 1: Have them go through the info screens, flush procedures, clean out plug operation, and maybe a little jet control lesson. I'm sure there is more, but those jump to mind from my own new boat delivery in 2013.

Question 2: I wet slip on my lake, and have for my 6 years of ownership, but my season is slightly shorter than yours! I have stopped leaving my batteries on; I haven't had enough water to pump out with the factory bilge pump yet in 6 years. I have the bow and cockpit covers installed whenever I am not using the boat; no water. With the batteries off, I plug in my on-board charger 1 or twice a season (April-October). I know from other's posts that my bilge experiences don't reflect everyone's, so take that piece of advice with a grain of salt. I change my plugs (factory) every spring, seems overkill, but its cheap and easy. It is worth checking the clean out plugs every month or so and using some good waterproof grease on the rubbers and operating stuff. Have fun with your new boat!

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should always take a ride in the boat before you sign the papers and purchase it.

Keeping it wet slipped in warm sunny Florida means a lot of growth on the hull, you should plan on taking your boat out of the water very few weeks to scrub off everything that's growing on the hull.

With the severe thunderstorms we get down here I'd leave the bilge on so the time . You'd be better off installing a bilge with a float instead of the Yamaha one that turn on every very minutes to check for water.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Glad to hear someone else is thinking about this... I'm in Mass, so a bit shorter season, but it seams everyone is frantic about a wet slip option. I plan to take the boat out every 2 weeks or so, (as we'll be heading to a few local lakes), clean, WD40, and generally treat all metal areas, but from what I can gather from all the skis that are 100% salt use, a little TLC goes a long way. I/O, OB, Jet, i'd still be cleaning it more or less the same.

We use our current boat a couple times a week, (outboard) and pretty heavy on the weekends, but a flush of the systems and general good habits with salt seam to go a long way.
I am in MA - mine goes in June 1st and out on Oct 1st - full mooring cover on at all times when not using - swapped to a auto bilge pump w/float - I never haul to clean the hull, however it would benefit from it mid-season as there is a noticeable drop in performance. That said every lake is different - keep a boat on a lake in NY all summer with no growth yet here tons - at the end of year 4 with no issues.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As to question 1, I would definitely look over everything. Yes, have them give you the grand tour. But while getting that, note for scratches, doors that do not open correctly, carpet installed crooked, cleats that are loose, shaking towers--the lot. I was a bit disappointed at the fit and finish on mine when I got it new. And it is a lot more inconvenient with a boat to pull it and lug it back to the dealer than it would be with a car. Also, be aware that some of the prep the dealer does (like the carpet install, batteries, etc.). So double check those things--they may not have the care put in by the robots at the factory. I even had a dead speaker when I got to the water (one of the pins in the connector was bent, as it turns out). Better to find these things before you leave the dealer...