• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Debate of speed of Bimini 2015 rough water crossing

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only good point I read here is that this trip provides ocean experience. I have zero ocean experience. This trip is the only thing that would give me ocean experience. With no ocean for me to experience, I guess I have to face facts that as much as I read the thread, and follow all the videos, and think about making the trip one year, I probably wont get to because my lack of open water experience....:(
@njmr2fan every year I bet over half probably closer to 3/4 of the group has little to no ocean experience. It is tough to get it unless you live on the coast. That's the great part of this trip for a lot of people it gives you the chance to do something incredible in the safety of a group and follow the experience of those who have it. I have lived in Myrtle Beach and been on the ocean more times then I can count in a boat but I know everyone doesn't get to experience that. All I would really take from this is to be as prepared as you can be and know your limits. If you boat on the lake and someone in crew complains a lot when it gets rough you may not want them on your boat durring the crossing. That doesn't mean to not bring them but make more comfortable arrangements for them to get across. As rough as the trip was last year my 7 seven year old daughter got on a boat at 6am and slept through half the crossing got up got seas sick and went back to sleep on the boat. On the return she got on the boat at 6am went to sleep and didn't wake up till we were in Ft Lauderdale and didn't even realize we had done the crossing so everyone is a little different. It will be intimidating the first time you get in the ocean but as long as your are cautious about your surroundings and whats going on you will be fine.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its not lack of experience that is the point, no one is going to fault anyone about that, quite the opposite, they will support and encourage you and give you every ounce of knowledge and experience they possess including boat prep for the journey, what to expect, what to pack, ect from before you leave your house to going back home after the trip.

This is more about receiving solid knowledge from vastly experienced ocean boaters that have made this trip in all conditions and completely disregarding that knowledge with the attitude that the group will be my backup plan when I ignore their experience and instead do something that I already know wont work before I left the dock. That is the point of this.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would disagree with the inexperience comment based about me.. (I was the first boat to flood/sink) I have been on the water since I was 15 years old, my problem was pure and simple I was over loaded for the misreported conditions and based on improper information I loaded the nose heavy. I take full responsibility for these issues and dont blame anyone else.. In hindsight I should have loaded the rear heavy to keep the nose of the boat up, and probably should have flew half my people over.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would disagree with the inexperience comment based about me.. (I was the first boat to flood/sink) I have been on the water since I was 15 years old, my problem was pure and simple I was over loaded for the misreported conditions and based on improper information I loaded the nose heavy. I take full responsibility for these issues and dont blame anyone else.. In hindsight I should have loaded the rear heavy to keep the nose of the boat up, and probably should have flew half my people over.
@kthrash Thank you for sharing your experience on this forum. Your detailed account of what happened with your boat has been an asset helping to educate fellow boaters.

DGap

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting thread. I'm curious how one goes about getting the ocean/open water experience needed to deal with this, or similar situations? Until a year ago, I did all of my boating on inland waters. I'm now on the west coast (Washington State) and am interested in trying runs to the San Juan Islands. I'm sure hat experience is the best teacher, but what are they keys to success before someone (like me) who has never boated the ocean to keep in mind? Are there books? Trainings?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Interesting thread. I'm curious how one goes about getting the ocean/open water experience needed to deal with this, or similar situations? Until a year ago, I did all of my boating on inland waters. I'm now on the west coast (Washington State) and am interested in trying runs to the San Juan Islands. I'm sure hat experience is the best teacher, but what are they keys to success before someone (like me) who has never boated the ocean to keep in mind? Are there books? Trainings?
I think the best experience is practice and don't necessarily try to gain the experience on the first trip. Practice to me would be going off shore in all kinds of conditions. You don't have to go far, especially in bad conditions, just a couple of miles to get a feel for the boat and your tolerance in a variety of conditions. Once you are comfortable with the boat and your ability in a variety of conditions then you can venture out for a long trip.

If you jump into doing a long trip without any prior open water experience then you have to be willing to keep up with the group or you become a safety hazard for members of the group.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can read all you want but the best training is behind the wheel in your boat. Take her out in semi rough water and learn how your boat reacts to the waves and how to pass wave to wave. It's not fun so don't bring the faint of heart or children! Local knowledge is key, ask your locals about the trip you plan to take and you'll get a feel for when to go and when to stay.

First and foremost, you must realize that our boats are fair-weather vessels and not designed for ocean crossings in rough conditions. Know your boats limitations and your own before heading off into the blue yonder.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thread is about a group trip to the San Juan Islands https://jetboaters.net/threads/orcas-and-san-juan-islands-2016-bimini-trip-for-west-coast.8453/

Going out with a group would be a good way to get started.

My first salt water experiences were on a dive master friends 32' twin V8 metal hulled boat on our weekly run to the reef from Cairns, Australia.

My first Yamaha salt water experience was from the Biloxi Small Craft Harbor with my family of four onboard a 2005 LX210 in 2'+ seas. The LX210 (LS2000) has a flatish hull with ineffective windscreens. So as we tried to make it out of port into a high wind every wave was splashing into my face. I ended up putting on my dive mask so I could see. We made it a perhaps 3 miles at 6 knots and turned around and went back into port.

Later in that trip we made two successful trips to Ship Island which is roughly 11 miles out. We learned a lot about what that boat could handle over the three trips.

The next year we made three similar trips in our larger and more capable SX230. We learned that water that was punishing in the LX210 was ok in the SX230. We also got caught in chop caused by a 30 mph side wind that would have been impassable in the LX210 that was unpleasant but the SX230 got us safely back to port.

On the Bimini trip I see nervous boaters on the way to Bimini but after boating around the islands they have gained the confidence for crossing the Gulf Stream on the way home.