• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

depth gauge

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all,
my depth gauge hasn't been working at all this season, it just blinks 0's. To be quite honest I don't know what all the transducer controls, but I have no problem with anything else (speedometer, water temp, etc). I found the transducer wire in the compartment that sits in between the clean out ports but the space is too small for me to trace the wire anywhere. Does anyone know where the transducer wire goes? I don't see it coming out of the engine compartment or up at the head unit. The dealer said a new transducer is roughly $600 + labor (which I refuse to pay). So, I'm trying to trouble shoot on my own, worst case I install a new depth finder/GPS. My boat is a 2017 212 limited s. TIA!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yamaha likes putting in hull transducers in their boats. There's a good chance it is empty; meaning the fluid (antifreeze) has drained out. If you can find it and put ~4oz in there that might fix your issue. This is what I did and mine started working again.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I usually locate the transducer on the bottom--easier that way. Then I find where it is from the inside. Very difficult to find tracing wires and trying to look below water boxes and whatnot.

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha likes putting in hull transducers in their boats. There's a good chance it is empty; meaning the fluid (antifreeze) has drained out. If you can find it and put ~4oz in there that might fix your issue. This is what I did and mine started working again.
dealer said my transducer doesn't take fluid?

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually locate the transducer on the bottom--easier that way. Then I find where it is from the inside. Very difficult to find tracing wires and trying to look below water boxes and whatnot.
thank you, I ended up finding where the cable came out in the engine compartment, near the steering cable.

Attachments

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
all connections secure, probably just have a bad transducer according to the dealer (which isn't uncommon to have speedometer work but not depth gauge or vice versa)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is because the speedometer is by GPS and the depth is from the transducer. So yes, you may have a bad transducer.

Boat should have come with a blank you can put in place of the transducer. So you can take it out and put in the blank and still run. If that is helpful...

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got a call into the dealer to see if it can be replaced.